Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 13:05   #1
BHPian

Help Needed: Computer Speakers In Carputer

Hi All,

I am planning a carputer for my WagonR and wanted to know if I can put up Computer Speaker systems in the car. I already have a spare set of Creative 4.1 Home Theater system which can be put in my car.

As far as I know they can easily be ported into the car and eliminate a need for separate amplifier. Also the Subwoofer can directly be powered by DC-DC power supply being used for the motherboard.

Now I want to know what are the advantages/disadvantages of such a system over a conventional Amplifier system. Also would like to know how much the sound quality will reduce. I am not much of a sound enthusiast but more of a gadget enthusiast so doing so will satisfy the gadget geek in me.

Also I want to know about the options for touchscreen mounting in the car. I primarily drive the car and so would not be using the system much for video. But I want to be able to view the touchscreen for navigation purposes. Also I want the touchscreen to be removable as my car is parked on the road and only last week my HU got stolen.

Thanks.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Some related threads :

Adding Creative subwoofer for the existing ICE

Crazy Idea 2- using pc speakers rather subwoofers - Will this work???

A DIY Story: Home Audio Speaker Boxes in a Car??? Yes!!!

cya
R
Old 31st March 2010, 16:17   #3
BHPian

I suggest having JBLs installed. The fruquency response w.r.t creative is far ahead to the car ambience. The computer speakers are just for home use. As you'll be driving in noisy areas, the audio pressure in dB is required more.
If you want to utilize Creative which you already have then there is no harm.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 31st March 2010 at 16:18.
Old 3rd April 2010, 07:52   #4
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan! These threads were great help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
I suggest having JBLs installed. The fruquency response w.r.t creative is far ahead to the car ambience. The computer speakers are just for home use. As you'll be driving in noisy areas, the audio pressure in dB is required more.
If you want to utilize Creative which you already have then there is no harm.
Thanks Yogesh! Finally decided against using computer speakers, actually have read at most places about the difference in quality.

Now planning the following:

Carputer - (Thinking of recycling an old P4 2.4 GHz that I have, it supports Hyperthreading) will save me some money for other things that I am now planning.
Touchscreen - Will definitely have to go for one. Need a good source.
Amp and Speakers/Sub - All to be bought new as I didnt have amps earlier. Can probably recycle my old ovals in the rear, but rest all needs to be bought.

Read Mi10's thread yesterday and am nearly decided to go for a similar setup. But that means my new car plans are postponed for 1-1.5 Years . Though I'll have to wait 3-4 months to save up the extra cash for this kind of a setup.

Can somebody tell me how the output from a carputer be directly fed into the amplifier? I am thinking of going for a 4.1 soundcard but also would like to know how to connect a Stereo soundcard to the amps directly as I do not have a HU and do not intend to buy one.

And yes I'am planning to put all of this in my WagonR Duo. So please let me know if there is something I need to be careful about. I plan to install everything under the seats as I'm afraid to put anything near the LPG kit.

Thanks..

Last edited by goel.honey : 3rd April 2010 at 07:54.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goel.honey View Post
Can somebody tell me how the output from a carputer be directly fed into the amplifier?
here's how it's done.
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shldn View Post
here's how it's done.
Thanks Shldn! It simplifies all the issues. Just one more, AFAIK we need really good RCA's for connecting HU to the Amps. However, here I need many more connectors and if anyone of these is not of great quality, It might affect the setup adversely. Any ideas on where I can get good quality connections? Also any estimated cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks