Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
You can if you really want to

Now i am looking at speaker and amp options. what all options do i have and what would be the approx costs. Can someone help?

Pioneer, Sony, MTX, Blaupunkt, Kickers etc. for the amp.

Speakers, i am planning for 2 JBL rounds to be fixed near the footwell area.

The amp can be fixed below the seat.
how about fixing an amp and speakers only and play the music with the help of and ipod,if the amp goes under the seat then the seat(sparco) will not be able to move front and back ,which is the best small amp which goes under the seat and good speakers for the frontdoor.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gurus,

After a long time of listening to some bad sound, i picked my lazy self in search of good speakers. BTW a couple of months back i had installed the Alpine CDE-100EUB HU. Its performing nicely. I can have music via USB or also connect my phone or IPOD. Only thing is radio stations cannot be changed via remote.

Anyways todays i went to my local accessories shop and asked him to show me round 4way pioneer speakers. he didnt have them and i was desperate to get some good speakers so i was ok with some sony round 2 way speakers.

Issue is that all speakers are 6.5" and the slot in the Gypsy Footwell can house only a 6" round speaker properly. Further, those guys said that even the speaker grill would pose as an obstruction to the accelerator pedal and would touch the fuse box.

Can the gurus help me out please? Can the Gypsy owners help me with their speaker specifications of those fitted in the footwell.

Thanks.
Raj
Old 30th September 2010, 07:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Can the Gypsy owners help me with their speaker specifications of those fitted in the footwell.
I had mine removed after my gypsy went into water during one OTR when the ABC went into Water!! Hence that location is unsuitable for me!

EDIT: I still have the speaker grills though!!
Old 30th September 2010, 11:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

So Vikram Sir, where have you installed your speakers. Have you fixed a speaker box?
Old 1st October 2010, 05:31   #20

Hey mate, if you are looking at a stelth installation, mount the speakers on the footwells and see if you can wire a tweeter to the corner of each side to give you a better sound staging and imaging effect. That way, your doors are speaker free. Secondly, work out exactly how much space you can spare for the subwoofer, and mount the sub behind of the the seats and have a port in the area in the middle of the car so the bass notes will generate from there. Mount your two amps behind the other seat, eg the passenger seat and see if you can use a 12volt computer fan, wired to remote signal to turn it on and off. You may need to make a baffle for the fan so it sucks air in and flows to the amps in order to keep them cooler during operation. Later, - Dr Boom!
Old 1st October 2010, 18:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the advice Dr Boom but you are not getting my issue.

I have a gypsy with a soft top. I need to have 6inch speakers to mount in the footwell but the size available is 6.5 inches which doesnt fit properly.
Old 7th October 2010, 06:25   #22

speaker placement

Hey mate, if the speakers do not fit in the relevant space, then you may need to modify the space, to fit speakers, You may go a smaller speaker and with some MDF wood to cut out the speaker and mount the spacer in the original position before you install the new speaker in the original position. If that is not practical, then you can approach a car audio installer to create some fibreglass enclosure in the required space, but bear in mind, this can be costly.

I would not recommend mounting speakers on the top near the head as you will only listen to one channel and the sound will rather be a mono compared to stereo when mounted on doors or below.

If you intend to put speakers on the footwells, make sure the speakers are angled to the centre of the car.

The cheaper alternative is with cutting speaker rings to suit your speakers, and using expanda-foam from your local hardware store and then you will have to apply vynal or cloth trim to cover the foam and wood.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:38   #23
BHPian

raj just get 6x9 ovals in a big box behind the front seats , with two ports and loads of glass wool
Old 1st November 2010, 17:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey paras,

Thanks man, i had thought of it but i have a front facing seat and the rear passengers feet will hit the speaker box if i install it behind the front seats. thats the whole issue of this setup. Still running on the old pioneers and they sound like crap :(
Old 1st November 2010, 18:33   #25
BANNED

I am looking for a audio setup too for my new Gypsy ST coming next week.

After considering all your posts above I think I will go for a mono setup - a single speaker mounted in the center above and behind the head (like in the pic). This will also minimize the loss if stolen. I need really great sound, but it does not have to be stereo.

I plan to use my ipod touch, so now I need your help and suggestions to locate a good power amp and speaker and an FM radio unit/head that will accept ipod input as well. The A2DP bluetooth suggestion is really nice too! Lets add that as a must have feature. To avoid using sub (no space) I have decided to look at fullrange coaxial type speakers. Will any automobile speakers give a usable 60hz to 20khz frequency extension (without sub) given their lack of regular enclosure used in home audio systems?

1. What are my choices? the speakers will have to be those designed for nearfield listening. I think a class D power amp will suit. which is the best FM radio head unit that can be removed (faceplate) and pocketed when leaving the vehicle?

2. How can the installation be secured from theft? (Using some kind of T-nuts or Hex nuts that will leave the opportunistic burglar unprepared with his toolset is one idea).

Is a budget of 20K good for a mono setup?

Thanks

Last edited by Ragul : 1st November 2010 at 18:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks