Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 05:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Bass Box for Verna Fluidic with Stock HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You haven't answered my question about the existing subwoofer.
Sorry I missed that part. Its a subwoofer in a wooden box. Attached pic.

Quote:
You can put 6x9 coaxials on the parcel shelf, and drive them from the HU. That is an immediate solution - will cost you ~3K plus a bit for installation & wires (JBL, Pioneer, etc.), and you can extend the wires from the rear doors to the parcel shelf (disconnect rear door speakers). Much more musical than boomy bass tubes, much louder than your OE rear door speakers (more sensitive).
I was using the JBL GTO 948 in my old santro xing before the verna and was pretty much satisfied with their bass punch and output. I was thinking of putting them in my verna but did not like the fact of cutting the rear parcel tray so decided to leave it as it is and dont want to pursue this option. [And on a side note my brother blew up those speakers by blasting them at full volume even though I warned him multiple times]

Quote:
Forget the power numbers. Round coaxials in doors do not produce bass. Even your front OE speakers will not.
I differ here with your opinion. Try listening once to the front stock speakers of Honda City i-vtec 2010 onwards or even the verna fluidic.

Quote:
To put it simply, DON'T. Use a subwoofer in a sealed box. Please don't use a Bass Tube, whether with a built-in amp or external.
Did you check out the link for blaupunkt I mentioned earlier? It is not a bass tube. This is the product name Blaupunkt - GTb 8 A - 8 Inch Active Subwoofer Enclosure (150 W peak - 75W RMS) cost shows as 6750 after discount.

Quote:
With your front speakers still on HU with limited power, a Bass Tube will only cause pandemonium in your car. Your music will sound as if you are sitting inside a 'dhol' - full 'jhol'! Better solution is what I had suggested: A Kenwood M846 or JBL X646, 2 channels driving the front speakers, 2 channels driving your existing subwoofer in box. No LoC required. Together it will cost 6K if your existing subwoofer is usable, or 10K if it is not (replace the Lajpatrai Market sub with a JBL sub in the same box).

I have listened to it, and I'd rather not comment as you may be offended. Please do listen to decent installations in other TBHP members cars, even the ones done with a very low budget. You will be surprised at the difference.
I agree with you. I will not be going for a bass tube as I too severly dislike the boom effect from the bass tube and prefer the tight bass punch. So I now have 2 options.

1. Go for a reputed active subwoofer enclosure as I mentioned above and connect it to the rear speakers. If someone knows about any more models, please share.

2. Else I will be buying the AMP that you suggested earlier(need to check prices locally as they seem expensive online) and connect it to the bass box that I have and see the output. If not satisfied, I will buy the JBL - GTX 1150W - 12'' Subwoofer (Rs 2682)and use the same wooden box from the old sub and later put it in an enclosure if required.

Another question in case I buy a used amp(same models as above) from quikr or olx, anything special to be aware about ?

Thanks for your response with my detailed queries. Much appreciated !
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna OEM ICE upgrade-img_20140412_194838.jpg  

Last edited by mani_jeenu : 16th April 2014 at 05:30.
Old 16th April 2014, 12:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bass Box for Verna Fluidic with Stock HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
... I differ here with your opinion. Try listening once to the front stock speakers of Honda City i-vtec 2010 onwards or even the verna fluidic. ...

Quote:
... Did you check out the link for blaupunkt I mentioned earlier? ... 8 Inch Active Subwoofer Enclosure ...
I did. This one is neither here nor there.

Quote:
... I will buy the JBL - GTX 1150W - 12'' Subwoofer (Rs 2682)and use the same wooden box from the old sub ...
Should be your first choice.

Quote:
... Another question in case I buy a used amp(same models as above) from quikr or olx, anything special to be aware about ?...
Just general condition and whether there is dust in the heat sink fins. If possible, whether it is actually working.
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Grand i10 OEM ICE upgrade

I am awaiting delivery of my new Grand i10 Sportz. in which I have planned to install a channel Auditor amplifier and a 12" MTX bass tube (both carried forward from my previous car).

From what I have learnt is that it is best to connect 2 channels to the front stock component speakers and the other 2 to the sub woofer. My query is that what is the price of a decent 4 channel line converter that I may have to pay??

The guys at the Hyundai showroom are quoting me 1500 for labour to install the above which does not include the cost of the line converter. Should I get it done from them or do I get it done from outside?? I wouldn't want a roadside electrician to mess the wiring of the car which may hamper the warranty later on.

Help
Old 6th May 2014, 10:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I am awaiting delivery of my new Grand i10 Sportz. in which I have planned to install a channel Auditor amplifier and a 12" MTX bass tube (both carried forward from my previous car).

From what I have learnt is that it is best to connect 2 channels to the front stock component speakers and the other 2 to the sub woofer. My query is that what is the price of a decent 4 channel line converter that I may have to pay??

The guys at the Hyundai showroom are quoting me 1500 for labour to install the above which does not include the cost of the line converter. Should I get it done from them or do I get it done from outside?? I wouldn't want a roadside electrician to mess the wiring of the car which may hamper the warranty later on.

Help
I am finally going to buy the Kenwood M846 as that is the best model I could find in terms of features, output and price. This unit has speaker level inputs which will eliminate the need of Line Output Converter which was suggested by DerAlte in this post above. It is priced at 5k in karol bagh

Quote:

I did. This one is neither here nor there.

Should be your first choice.

Just general condition and whether there is dust in the heat sink fins. If possible, whether it is actually working.
I have a friend flying down from US next month so I have thought about getting the wire from there, will be much cheaper and better quality I guess. The scosche was quoted to me for 2k here in karol bagh.

Can you advise something from the below ?
http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Audio-Sys...ier+wiring+kit

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Akpa-1...ier+wiring+kit

http://www.amazon.com/KIT-2-Complete...ier+wiring+kit

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-KITZERO-C...ier+wiring+kit

or anything else but not above $20 max ?
Old 6th May 2014, 14:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have a friend flying down from US next month so I have thought about getting the wire from there, will be much cheaper and better quality I guess. The scosche was quoted to me for 2k here in karol bagh. ...
LOL why go through all that trouble!

* For power wires (battery and ground), use Havells or any other domestic brand of multi-strand cable

* Use Cat 5 LAN cable between the harness adapter (Speaker Out connections) and the amp input. There is a connector supplied in the box for the speaker-level input. Connect shield to amp ground (amp side only)

* Buy good quality speaker wires locally (Scosche or similar). Available by the meter
Old 6th May 2014, 18:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
LOL why go through all that trouble!

* For power wires (battery and ground), use Havells or any other domestic brand of multi-strand cable

* Use Cat 5 LAN cable between the harness adapter (Speaker Out connections) and the amp input. There is a connector supplied in the box for the speaker-level input. Connect shield to amp ground (amp side only)

* Buy good quality speaker wires locally (Scosche or similar). Available by the meter
I knew you would say something like that
Actually it wont be much trouble as my friend is already getting me some other stuff so i thought might as well get this as well. It would be more trouble for me to buy the cables here after inquiring some shops and some bargaining which i am not good at. I am more of an online shopper. Advise
Old 6th May 2014, 18:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Actually it wont be much trouble as my friend is already getting me some other stuff ... Advise
I leave it to you. Just don't get Boss, Pyle and such brands - stick with Scosche / EFX / Kicker etc. I am not sure if you will get anything decent for under $30 - check prices online. "Wiring kit single amp".
Old 15th May 2014, 08:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I knew you would say something like that
Actually it wont be much trouble as my friend is already getting me some other stuff so i thought might as well get this as well. It would be more trouble for me to buy the cables here after inquiring some shops and some bargaining which i am not good at. I am more of an online shopper. Advise
Regarding the subwoofer, what is the volume of the enclosure, is it ported or sealed.
Sealed enclosures with the lowest recommended optimum volume will produce tighter bass with the fastest decay which is good for SQ. The bass will then sound as upfront as possibe aswell. But sealed enclosures need more power.
Any idea what is the spec of the subwoofer?.
Old 10th August 2014, 15:54   #24
BANNED

Re: Hyundai Verna OEM ICE upgrade

Need a suggestion about sub installation of my brand new Verna fluidic. I had restored a JBL 2 channel amp and boston sub from the swift that was sold last week and when i visited a guy to install this kit on my verna, i was told that a 2 channel amp cannot be fitted to with Verna's stock audio system and it needs a 4 channel amp, high and low equipment, wiring kit and other accessories which would cost me approximately Rs.14000. Some where i am not very convinced with the suggested upgrade and i am guessing i can still install the restored 2 channel amp and sub. Suggestions?
Old 10th August 2014, 19:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Need a suggestion about sub installation of my brand new Verna fluidic. I had restored a JBL 2 channel amp and boston sub from the swift that was sold last week and when i visited a guy to install this kit on my verna, i was told that a 2 channel amp cannot be fitted to with Verna's stock audio system and it needs a 4 channel amp, high and low equipment, wiring kit and other accessories which would cost me approximately Rs.14000. Some where i am not very convinced with the suggested upgrade and i am guessing i can still install the restored 2 channel amp and sub. Suggestions?
Absolutely Untrue.
Any Amplifier in working condition can be used, he's just trying to fool you into buying another 4 channel amp.
All you need is a High lo converter such as the Scosche SLC 4 OR Connection Audison SLI 4(Rs.5000-6000) and an Amplifier wiring kit (RS.2000 approx).
You may get better prices also make sure that you visit a good installer(try searching the related section) as a novice installer may splice your wires and not use harnesses.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... i was told that a 2 channel amp cannot be fitted to with Verna's stock audio system and it needs a 4 channel amp, high and low equipment, wiring kit and other accessories which would cost me approximately Rs.14000. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Absolutely Untrue.
Any Amplifier in working condition can be used, he's just trying to fool you into buying another 4 channel amp.
All you need is a High lo converter such as the Scosche SLC 4 OR Connection Audison SLI 4(Rs.5000-6000) and an Amplifier wiring kit (RS.2000 approx).
You may get better prices also make sure that you visit a good installer(try searching the related section) as a novice installer may splice your wires and not use harnesses.
Correct.

You don't even need an amp kit. For power, you can use 2.5sq.mm. wires from Havells or any other good domestic brand. You just need a good pair of RCA cables, and some good speaker wire. There are plenty of good installers in Bangalore who will do it for you, of course charging you for the labour.

Check if your JBL amp accepts high-level inputs, in which case you won't need the LoC or RCA cables - just a 2-3m length of Cat5 network cable, which you can get in any small computer shop.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:52   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Absolutely Untrue.
I got this work done this morning. The stock head unit has been removed and few additional cables spliced up which connects to the high lo converter. Attaching the pictures taken. Was this the correct way? Does it void the warranty by any chance?

Hyundai Verna OEM ICE upgrade-20140811_124735.jpg
Hyundai Verna OEM ICE upgrade-20140811_124717.jpg

Quote:
Correct.

You don't even need an amp kit. For power, you can use 2.5sq.mm. wires from Havells or any other good domestic brand. You just need a good pair of RCA cables, and some good speaker wire. There are plenty of good installers in Bangalore who will do it for you, of course charging you for the labour.

Check if your JBL amp accepts high-level inputs, in which case you won't need the LoC or RCA cables - just a 2-3m length of Cat5 network cable, which you can get in any small computer shop.
I really did not know about amp accepting high levels. Throttle Jayanagar guy has added a high low converter which connects to my 2 channel amp and then to sub. Do you think this process could have been cut shot?
Old 11th August 2014, 15:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... added a high low converter which connects to my 2 channel amp and then to sub. Do you think this process could have been cut shot?
Cost, not process, would be less.
Old 11th August 2014, 15:10   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Cost, not process, would be less.
Got it. What do you you think of the installation (pics in the previous reply)? I hope the splicing up process doesn't lead to warranty issues in future. If you think it does, what is the potential and safest workaround?
Old 11th August 2014, 23:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Got it. What do you you think of the installation (pics in the previous reply)? I hope the splicing up process doesn't lead to warranty issues in future. If you think it does, what is the potential and safest workaround?
Hyundai Service personnel aren't really fussy about warranty issues with aftermarket sytems or atleast the one's that I deal with aren't.

This was a precautionary measure and there was an alternative available, which was suggested to you.

To the best of my knowledge there exists no workaround to this as the whole wiring harness has to be changed. Let's just hope it never comes to that.

Enjoy the music.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks