Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 15:18   #46
BHPian

Re: New Speakers for Innova's Stock Audio System

Hi guys,
I'm also interested in changing my Innova speakers - just the speakers, no change in HU or Amp installation. I was wondering if I could just buy one of the speakers off the online retailers like here...

... and then get it installed by my Toyota service center, (since I'm worried if car accessories shops would do a good job). But one question that comes up - how do I know if a particular speaker I select, would fit in the Innova doors? I'm confused if I should go for 4 inch/6 inch, and oval/circular speakers. Does anyone know how to get the specifications of the original stock speakers size, so that can serve as a guide?
Old 20th January 2014, 21:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
... and then get it installed by my Toyota service center, (since I'm worried if car accessories shops would do a good job).
No , they probably won't oblige you ... even for a fee.
Quote:
Does anyone know how to get the specifications of the original stock speakers size, so that can serve as a guide?
There are three ways.
a) DIY- take the door card off, it's relatively easy. Peel off the plastic covering the automatic window mechanism. Lo and behold!
b) Pay a visit to your favourite toyota dealer's spares department and ask to see a new set of speakers.
c) Talk to a local speaker retailer and ask him what speakers can be fit on the Innova's doors.

BTW - do you have a problem with your stock speakers?
Old 21st January 2014, 10:19   #48
BHPian

Thanks for the reply, Joy. Interestingly, I was just reading your Delhi to Kolkata travelogue in another thread. Hats off to you guys, especially uncle-Ji for this trip. I've been motivated for a Bangalore to Ranchi/Jamshedpur (our hometowns) trip sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
BTW - do you have a problem with your stock speakers?
Well, the stock speakers are just OK. There's something that's not very appealing to the ears with the frequency response of these speakers. I am not an audiophile, but I do prefer decent audio quality, and hence would like to replace these with JBL or Polk.
floyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 11:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I was wondering if I could just buy one of the speakers off the online retailers like here...

... and then get it installed by my Toyota service center, (since I'm worried if car accessories shops would do a good job). But one question that comes up - how do I know if a particular speaker I select, would fit in the Innova doors? I'm confused if I should go for 4 inch/6 inch, and oval/circular speakers. ...
Quote:
No , they probably won't oblige you ... even for a fee. ...
IIRC they are 6.5" round components in front, and 6.5" coaxials in the rear door. No ovals. Some models had coaxials also in the front door, instead of components. If the front is coaxials in your car, replace with components.

@floyd, buy online *only* if you are sure of sound signature of what you are buying (like you have yourself heard the same make&model elsewhere, and want the same). Not all speakers sound the same, and not everyone has the same preference. The problem is usually with 'bright' speakers (excessive high frequencies) - which most models of JBL and Polk are.

Instead, please visit some dealers and ask them to give a demo in the car. Don't buy if they don't give an audition - good ones will. Don't worry, just trust your ears - you will make a good choice.

The dealer will have competent installers to change the speakers. A Toyota dealer, OTOH, may not have someone skilled enough - contrary to what you think.

You could also check with the experienced installers listed in the Bangalore installers thread.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the stock speakers are just OK. There's something that's not very appealing to the ears with the frequency response of these speakers. I am not an audiophile, but I do prefer decent audio quality, and hence would like to replace these with JBL or Polk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IIRC they are 6.5" round components in front, and 6.5" coaxials in the rear door. No ovals. Some models had coaxials also in the front door, instead of components. If the front is coaxials in your car, replace with components.

@floyd, buy online *only* if you are sure of sound signature of what you are buying (like you have yourself heard the same make&model elsewhere, and want the same). Not all speakers sound the same, and not everyone has the same preference. The problem is usually with 'bright' speakers (excessive high frequencies) - which most models of JBL and Polk are.

Instead, please visit some dealers and ask them to give a demo in the car. Don't buy if they don't give an audition - good ones will. Don't worry, just trust your ears - you will make a good choice.

The dealer will have competent installers to change the speakers. A Toyota dealer, OTOH, may not have someone skilled enough - contrary to what you think.

You could also check with the experienced installers listed in the Bangalore installers thread.
Sometimes, the problem does not lie in the speakers, and can actually be elsewhere. I have retained my original speakers and have never regretted the decision.

IMHO, floyd, what you could try to do is the following -
1) Compile a cd-disk (WMA format) of typical music that you like listening to.
2) Listen to this at home repeatedly, until you know what it sounds like.

3) Take the car to the dealer, and ask him to give a demo with a different HU (he will need to swap out your existing HU) , but with Innova original speakers in your car.
4) Play your CD on this HU, with engine running , or however you are most likely to listen.
5) Next ask him to put back the original HU, but ask him to give you demo with his set of speakers (with same CD). For this he need not uninstall the existing set of innova speakers, all he needs to do is to connect up the new speaker to the back of the existing HU - he is sure to have connectors to do the job.

This may help you to come to a conclusion.

Naturally the more experienced installer will be able to do this for you without breaking a sweat. Others, who are more into trading systems, may not be able to help much.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes, the problem does not lie in the speakers, and can actually be elsewhere. ...
There doesn't have to be a 'problem' to want to change OE speakers. OE speakers do have limitations, and wishing something better is not a 'problem'. The speakers are the weakest link in the chain, and even OE HUs sound better with better speakers.

Your decision to retain OE speakers was your informed choice. Others usually change the speakers before changing HU or amp.
Old 21st January 2014, 13:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There doesn't have to be a 'problem' to want to change OE speakers. OE speakers do have limitations, and wishing something better is not a 'problem'. The speakers are the weakest link in the chain, and even OE HUs sound better with better speakers.

Your decision to retain OE speakers was your informed choice. Others usually change the speakers before changing HU or amp.
Agree. Which is why, I have additionally suggested that different configurations (with OEM speaker and without OEM speaker) be tried out to understand what the listener is more comfortable with. My intent was never to prescribe a certain course of action , just because that was the way I went.
Old 21st January 2014, 13:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
@floyd, buy online *only* if you are sure of sound signature of what you are buying (like you have yourself heard the same make&model elsewhere, and want the same). Not all speakers sound the same, and not everyone has the same preference.
Yes, but IMHO, nothing could sound as bland and un-inspiring as the stock speakers on the Innova. :-)
But this is good advice, I'll try to get some dealers to audition the new speakers before buying.
Quote:
The dealer will have competent installers to change the speakers.
I think you can say that for only some dealers, right? I live in Marathahalli, and the neighbourhood "Favara car accessories" is not known to do a good job!
I actually was near Cambridge layout recently, and thought I'd visit EVO (which is highly rated) to see what options they have for Innova speakers. However, I found the place closed, and no signs either. I think EVO has closed down or shifted. Not sure about this though...

Something is wrong with my browser, and multi-quote seems to be not working, but @joybhowmik,
Quote:
IMHO, floyd, what you could try to do is the following -
1) Compile a cd-disk (WMA format) of typical music that you like listening to.
So, presumeably, you prefer WMA because you believe (or someone told you) that it is superior to MP3? Actually, at the bitrates that I use (192 Kbps and up), there is no perceptible difference in audio quality between MP3, WMA and AAC. Although, yes, some MP3 encoders are poorly written, and start off by filtering off frequencies higher than 15~16 KHz, but if you use things like LAME, such filtering can be disabled. But this is off topic here... just got me interested since audio coding was my field of work until recently.
Old 21st January 2014, 13:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, presumeably, you prefer WMA because you believe (or someone told you) that it is superior to MP3? Actually, at the bitrates that I use (192 Kbps and up), there is no perceptible difference in audio quality between MP3, WMA and AAC. Although, yes, some MP3 encoders are poorly written, and start off by filtering off frequencies higher than 15~16 KHz, but if you use things like LAME, such filtering can be disabled. But this is off topic here... just got me interested since audio coding was my field of work until recently.
You can use whatever format you like listening to... I just picked an example. The important point in my post is to make a compilation of your most listened songs in a CD so that you can give a listen to the different configurations in your car.
Now, it could even be a USB stick or a SD card, but I chose to mention CD, because it is still the common denominator in terms of playback media for many HUs
And the content can be in anything you choose - MP3 (whichever encoder) or WMA or WAV or really anything that you are most comfortable with. Just ensure that it should be a common format , supported by most HUs.
Old 21st January 2014, 15:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but IMHO, nothing could sound as bland and un-inspiring as the stock speakers on the Innova. ...
LOL I meant the sound signatures of after-market speakers!

Quote:
... I think you can say that for only some dealers, right? I live in Marathahalli, and the neighbourhood "Favara car accessories" is not known to do a good job! ...
Nothing that a little bit of personal participation cannot cure. Just stand there and prevent the guy from making common mistakes, of which a lot has been mentioned by many people in the ICE section. If just replacing speakers, ensure that the speaker wire is not cut - most after-market speakers accept the crimped on plug at the terminals.

Quote:
... I actually was near Cambridge layout recently, and thought I'd visit EVO (which is highly rated) to see what options they have for Innova speakers. However, I found the place closed, and no signs either. I think EVO has closed down or shifted. Not sure about this though ...
I had passed by that road a couple of weeks back - the road was dug up. They had blocked the stretch in front of Ranka Apartments, where EVO is located. Satya might have temporarily moved somewhere because of that. PM him (blueraven...) - I am sure he will respond.
Old 21st January 2014, 16:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:

I had passed by that road a couple of weeks back - the road was dug up. They had blocked the stretch in front of Ranka Apartments
That's where having a higher GC vehicle like Innova helps! Road was dug up but I could drive on it without problems.

I didn't know that EVO owner was here on team-BHP, thanks for pointing this out!
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:03   #57
BHPian

I have took a New Innova V series , it also doesnt have a remote.Thats really annoying. Is there any provision to add a remote?
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
Is there any provision to add a remote?
In line with Toyota's policy to KISS (Keep it simple and straightforward) and in general alignment with Toyota's bullet proof reliability, they decided to do away with the remote altogether (1 less part that can fail)
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
... New Innova V series , it also doesnt have a remote. ...
Quote:
... Toyota's policy ... in general alignment with Toyota's ...
LOL Add "efforts to keep individual parts cost low" to that! Not giving a remote control is one way of reducing cost of an OE HU.

@Mt.olympus, check if Toyota can replace your steering wheel with one that has the steering wheel control keys.
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
check if Toyota can replace your steering wheel with one that has the steering wheel control keys.
V variant would have audio controls on steering.
As far as I know, adding remote capability for stock HU would not be possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks