Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 08:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Speakers for Innova's Stock Audio System

Hi Experts,

I'd recently purchased an Innova VX which comes with stock audio. The sound seems light and lacks something.

First of all, the treble seems too high without enough Bass to support this. I would not want any "boom boom" sounds but good music quality. I also never saw any cross-over network for the woofer and tweeters.

I am considering to do an upgrade over a period of time but initially considering the speakers upgrade.

Would adding new speakers to the stock audio system give any improvement?

Please advice me on the steps to take for good music in an innova.

I tried browsing through the threads but most of them talk about replacing the entire system or having a new head unit and then later replacing the speakers. I wish to start the other way around.

Interestingly, i do get good volumes! The scale starts from 0-64 and for normal listening, I only require to set the volume at level 8 of 64.

Please suggest.

regards,

Nitin.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
First of all, the treble seems too high without enough Bass to support this. I would not want any "boom boom" sounds but good music quality. I also never saw any cross-over network for the woofer and tweeters.

Would adding new speakers to the stock audio system give any improvement?
Try listening to speakers that are known to be a bit more laid back than your OEM speakers. I'd suggest Infinity, Illusion, DLS, etc..these speakers may also sound less loud that your OEM speakers so if you find you need the need to get louder you will need an amplifer.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:24   #3
BHPian

Navinji, what about MTX road thunder components?
Old 26th May 2010, 13:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Try listening to speakers that are known to be a bit more laid back than your OEM speakers. I'd suggest Infinity, Illusion, DLS, etc..these speakers may also sound less loud that your OEM speakers so if you find you need the need to get louder you will need an amplifer.

Those seem rare and expensive brands. Could you please recommend something from the common ones available?
Old 27th May 2010, 14:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infinity is commonly available at any JBL store (e.g. Sound Factor on Lavelle Road). DLS and Illusion do not have outlets in Bangalore. Then there is JBL itself - fairly common even in car accessory dealers in your locality itself.

You should first scan the market - JC Road and Mission Road - to know what is available. You will find Polk, Boston, JLAudio etc. but the real issue will be listening to them whether they suit your taste. Do ask for audition everywhere - some might oblige.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall commence my research on Infinity. However, the question still remains, will good quality speakers on the stock audio provide any improvement?

The stock doesnt seem to have an option for RCA outs as well.

Nitin.
Old 27th May 2010, 23:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
DLS and Illusion do not have outlets in Bangalore. Then there is JBL itself - fairly common even in car accessory dealers in your locality itself.

You will find Polk, Boston, JLAudio etc. but the real issue will be listening to them whether they suit your taste. Do ask for audition everywhere - some might oblige.
1. BlueRaven (a member here) is a pro in bagalore and I think he carries DLS.
2. If you are looking at JBL consider both GT5 and GTO. I really liked the toanl balance of the GT5 over the more expensive GTO.

Please listen with your ears and your music. We all have different tastes.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I believe my question is not understood clearly: Will good quality speakers on the stock audio provide any improvement? Is the stock HU good enough or would the speaker change be worth along with the change in HU?

Please suggest.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ nitin: your stock head unit would never be as good as the aftermarket pioneers or clarions. but for the moment, just install new speakers & see the difference. if possible, add a 4 ch amp too.

if you still feel something is lacking, only then you need to change the HU.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, I would go by that suggestion. Wonder why they put such hopeless Music systems while the car costs sky high! Hope the engine and other components are not that worse. Now my only worry is whether I would get something for my stock audio
Old 28th May 2010, 11:11   #11

nitinbose
Do it in stages.
If you are unable to decide whether to replace the stock HU or not,
first replace your stock speakers and if what you are buying are comps, then get a decent 4 ch amp and keep the stock HU.
listen to that combination for sometime.You will appreciate the change in sound.
Then depending on your taste and budget add a sub or change your HU in any order.
I'm having the same conflict now with my new vista.but i had decided that i would replace my entire system and so i have got myself a new HU and now am in the process of finalizing the speakers and amps.
for the stock units, you have 2 options.
1)keep them safe and replace them when you are selling this car.
2)post ads in t-bhp classifieds for selling them.
(thanks to nitrous who gave me these 2 ideas).
Old 30th May 2010, 01:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advices. I finally upgraded to Hertz DRX 165 today! These came as components. I bought and installed these from Autofusion (Thouqeer). They did a very good install which included the damping as well. Thouqueer himself tested the setup for a final quality check.

On my way to Autofusion, a bike hit my Innova and there was a slight scratch/dent on the fender. Thouqueer's team repaired this as well.

Looks like this place is an all-in-one pitshop.

I had a long time to listen to music on my new speakers as the drive home was long due to the rains on Saturday night. The distortions vanished with a proper balance between bass and treble sounds. These speakers produce very clear sound, let alone the power. I'm still using my stock audio, which is Fujitsu ten - which apparently is also known as Eclipse!

Nitin.
Old 30th May 2010, 08:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

One more question: I was told that I could add an amp to the stock music system, even if it doesn't have RCA line outs. The output would be from the speaker channels with some relay in between the music system and amp.

Please advice me whether this is a good idea in terms of quality. As I understand so far, Line outs are far more purer as compared to speaker outs.

Has anyone done a similar setup?
Old 30th May 2010, 11:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advices. I finally upgraded to Hertz DRX 165 today!
I think you meant the Hertz DCX165. Its the 6,5" coaxials from the Dieci lineup. Hertz makes some wonderful speakers. I had listened to the ESK165s in one of my friends car and planning to get it installed in my ride!!

BTW, If you had plans of installing an amp why didn't you go for compos? They would have sounded much better!!

Anyway the damage has been done, so keep enjoying your music!

Quote:
One more question: I was told that I could add an amp to the stock music system, even if it doesn't have RCA line outs. The output would be from the speaker channels with some relay in between the music system and amp.

Please advice me whether this is a good idea in terms of quality. As I understand so far, Line outs are far more purer as compared to speaker outs.

Has anyone done a similar setup?
I think he meant the Line Out Converter. What it does is that it converts the Speaker level/ High Level output from the HU (which has lots of noise) into low level signal with reduced noise. So theoretically, the output from the amp will be less noisier, which translates into better SQ!

Else you can get an amp with speaker level inputs and directly give the signal from the HU w/o a line out convrter. But the output from the amp will be a bit distorted.

I hope that I'm correct.

For more info check this link out
How to wire an amplifier to a factory head unit
Old 30th May 2010, 12:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Line outs are far more purer as compared to speaker outs. ...
No, they aren't - they are only more convenient if present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by febyphilabr View Post
... Line Out Converter. What it does is that it converts the Speaker level/ High Level output from the HU (which has lots of noise) into low level signal with reduced noise. So theoretically, the output from the amp will be less noisier, which translates into better SQ! ...
You are right about the LOC, but no, it is no more or less noisier than the Preamp-out - it is just a convenient solution if Preamp-out is not present
Quote:
Originally Posted by febyphilabr View Post
... Else you can get an amp with speaker level inputs and directly give the signal from the HU w/o a line out convrter. But the output from the amp will be a bit distorted. ...
Such an amp has the LOC built-in, and again no, there will not be any more distortion than if you fed from an external LOC or the Preamp-out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks