Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:32   #31
BHPian

ICE options for 2011 Fortuner (Blaupunkt, Pioneer, Unbranded Android 2DIN)

Here are my main requirements -
  1. I am not an audiophile, but I make long trips regularly and I like to have a decent system to listen to music. Not loud, just normal with good quality sound. So, I am not looking at replacing the existing OE speakers from Toyota, just looking at replacing the OEM Caska HU with a more modern one. However, I am open to suggestions.
  2. I am a heavy user of navigation, so a really good navigation system is a must. In fact, sometimes I use both in car navigation and google navigation together to get to the right place. This must work well.
  3. Strong android phone compatibility - in order to keep peace during long trips, I need to allow multiple types of music to be played, usually from different android phones in the family or among friends. Mirrorlink compatibility with android phones will be an added advantage. Iphone compatibility will be a plus, not mandatory.
  4. I don't want to force fit the HU, it should nicely fit into the 2011 Fortuner and should have the adapters for Toyota including compatibility with steering controls.
  5. Android HUs are quite exciting - being able to switch between MapMyIndia and google navigation would be nice. Also, I like the option of internet connectivity via wifi tethering.
  6. I want a good reverse camera system along with parking sensors, but also open to keeping the existing one. Recommendations on that are welcome.
  7. A very good capacitive touchscreen with good visibility during the day (less glare).
  8. Must support large USB stick with lots of music and also movies.
  9. Must support additional headrest monitors in all the other rows (4 monitors).
At the time of purchase in 2011, I had got the OE HU replaced by the Caska OEM HU with MapMyIndia navigation. While it provided basic functionality, ultimately it turned out to have too many problems -
  1. The navigation directions don't mute radio or music playing in the unit.
  2. Very bad resistive touch screen, difficult to operate
  3. Supports only upto 4GB USB drives, very slow in reading USB drives and atrocious music player UI
  4. No compatibility with new android phones - can only receive / make calls, no contact book, no A2DP music playing from phones.
  5. The screen is unreadable in sunlight
Keeping this in mind, I set about looking for options. Since it is an older model, it has been hard to find options, but here are some of the possibles options I found. I am looking for advice and experiences of using any of these options.
  1. Blaupunkt 530 Santa Fe: An ICE shop told me that this is specifically for Toyota Fortuner and would fit in as is. It meets my basic requirements - android compatibility, navigation etc. However it is just that, not very exciting.
  2. Blaupunkt 940 Cape Town: I discovered this on the net while searching for the Santa Fe unit. This is an android HU and is very exciting from a feature perspective. But I am not sure about fitting this into the 2011 Fortuner. I have seen mention of this in other Toyota vehicles. I am yet to talk to an ICE shop about this.
  3. Pioneer AVIC F60BT: This was recommended to me by an ICE shop. The features looked pretty good and it has been in the market for more than a year. The installer mentioned that you can get a Toyota kit for this and fits nicely into a 2011 Fortuner.
  4. Unbranded Android 2DIN (from Aliexpress): There are now a number of these available from Alibaba at a reasonable cost. These run Android 4.x.x and seems to provide decent set of features. There are one or two good testimonies about them. However, not sure whether they fit into the 2011 Fortuner or what adapters I might need. ICE shops don't offer these and I might be on my own which will not work.
Are there other good options I am missing ? At the moment, I am more inclined towards the Blaupunkt 940 and the Pioneer F60BT. I would love to hear from existing users and experienced enthusiasts about these.
Gearphile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 15:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade for Toyota Fortuner

Thanks for all fortuner owners for writing "my" questions and getting partial solutions to most of them

I only have the below question unanswered. I have 2013 Fortuner with stock HU. I wish not to change the HU, is there any way to get the navigation(Google or non google like MapmyIndia or any other) display on the monitor of HU ? Either through Screen Mirroring from mobile, or any other means?

I do not want to change any setup right now, but I want to see the navigation displayed on the screen. Please help. Is this a possibility ?
Old 21st October 2018, 18:21   #33
BHPian

ICE upgrade - 2011 Toyota Fortuner

At the time of the purchase of my 2011 Toyota Fortuner, I got the dealer to exchange the manufacturer's ICE unit with a CASKA DIN unit that was the only available option with the dealer. A few years later, I upgraded to Blaupunkt Cape Town, which was much better than the CASKA unit, but lacked more modern capabilities like Android Auto. I was also unhappy about the inability to upgrade built-in offline maps and odd behavior with volume levels for navigation and muting. So, I set about looking for options for a 3rd ICE upgrade and here are the choices I see in the market - all from Pioneer.

1. Pioneer AVIC F80 BT

Pros - supports Android Auto, decent reviews, compatible with the Fortuner, good audio quality, built-in offline mapmyindia maps.
Cons - resistive screen, rear USB ports needing the USB port to be inside glove compartment which is a problem for connecting the android phone

2. Pioneer AVH Z9190 BT

Pros - supports Android Auto, decent reviews, compatible with the fortuner, good audio quality, capacitive screen
Cons - rear USB ports needing the USB port to be inside glove compartment, offline maps only via downloaded mapmyindia offline map app

My key requirements are :

1. Good Android Auto support (for use in cities)
2. Good offline map support for long road trips with spotty cellular connections on the way - preferably without needing a mobile phone at all
3. Decent audio (I am not an audiophile)
4. Good screen to be able change settings while driving (the CASKA screen was a nightmare)

Any recommendations on these choices or other possible choices ? I will post on the experience after I have decided and gone through the upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks