Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Focal Solid 4 Bridged Mode question

Hi,

Would it be possible to run the Focal Solid 4 in "Mixed Mode"? What I mean is: 2 x 75 watts @ 4Ohms + 1 x 200 watts @4Ohms

In My setup, channels 1 & 2 are driving the front speakers and 3 & 4 are unused. I am considering buying a sub and drive it through the bridged channels 3 & 4.

Also, what is recommended, a JBL ready enclosed Sub or should I go for something like an IDX and get the enclosure made?

Budget is about 10K.

My current Setup is:
1. RF 360.2 Sound processor
2. Focal Solid 4 Amp
3. Access 165 A3 3 ways components in the front.
4. Stock Speakers at the back with no sub woofer at present.

Thanks!
Old 16th August 2010, 14:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Hi,

Would it be possible to run the Focal Solid 4 in "Mixed Mode"? What I mean is: 2 x 75 watts @ 4Ohms + 1 x 200 watts @4Ohms

In My setup, channels 1 & 2 are driving the front speakers and 3 & 4 are unused. I am considering buying a sub and drive it through the bridged channels 3 & 4.
Yes you can. My Focal's channel 3 & 4 are bridged to drive an Infinity sub.

Quote:
Also, what is recommended, a JBL ready enclosed Sub or should I go for something like an IDX and get the enclosure made?
Audition both and see which one sounds better. An ID sub could be power hungry. The Focal will put out 200W RMS in bridged mode. Get a 300W RMS sub for best results.

Last edited by Gilead : 16th August 2010 at 14:53.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:05   #3
BHPian

Thanks Gilead. That means I wont have to invest more on another amp!

Regarding the subwoofer options, to give you an idea, I don't really listen to Hip-Hop and am not really looking for one of those Boom Boom PA systems.

I feel my setup right now lacks depth as all the bass I get is from the 6.5 mid bass drivers in the door which i feel are getting maxed out. Looking for a sub that is best suited to give a little more punch & a lot more deep bass.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
An ID sub could be power hungry. The Focal will put out 200W RMS in bridged mode. Get a 300W RMS sub for best results.
ID's can take in good power. But they are also reasonably efficient subs.
IN your Budget i think you can get ID CTX which is rated at 175w RMS.

If you can extend your budget by 3-5K, i think you can have a wide variety to choose from.
  • ID whch is rated at 250W RMS is first in contention (if you are into SQ)
  • GX-XD AL is also a very efficent sub. In fact it is rated at 500 Rms, but stil will give you good output if you are powering with 200 w rms.
  • THere is also a Polk DB which comes in 8" so if you are keen on space and not interested in great output, perhaps you could think about it
Old 16th August 2010, 18:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
ID's can take in good power. But they are also reasonably efficient subs.
IN your Budget i think you can get ID CTX which is rated at 175w RMS.

If you can extend your budget by 3-5K, i think you can have a wide variety to choose from.
  • ID whch is rated at 250W RMS is first in contention (if you are into SQ)
  • GX-XD AL is also a very efficent sub. In fact it is rated at 500 Rms, but stil will give you good output if you are powering with 200 w rms.
  • THere is also a Polk DB which comes in 8" so if you are keen on space and not interested in great output, perhaps you could think about it
Adding to that let's not forget Infinity ref 1260 sub with 93db sensitivity rated at 2.83V which means at 1w/1m it would do 89-90db. That makes it much efficient to others listed. ID is least sensitive with 85.6db. But both ID and Infinity Ref has similar response, infinity having the the smoothest of all here.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
THere is also a Polk DB which comes in 8" so if you are keen on space and not interested in great output, perhaps you could think about it
My 6.5 mids go louder, lower and cleaner than this 8" polk.
Please avoid.
I'd suggest a 12" anyday.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:07   #7
BHPian

How come no one has suggested the JBL Bass Tube.

Given a choice between a CS Series Sealed 12" Sub and the JBL Bass tube which would you recommend?

The reason I thought of the tube was because as i mentioned im not really looking for PA system type thump. I like the deep sounding bass with some thump.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How come no one has suggested the JBL Bass Tube.

Given a choice between a CS Series Sealed 12" Sub and the JBL Bass tube which would you recommend?

The reason I thought of the tube was because as i mentioned im not really looking for PA system type thump. I like the deep sounding bass with some thump.
The bass tube is very boomy and gets irritating very fast if you are not into that kind of sound. You will not get the deep thump with the JBL tube.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:46   #9
BHPian

Gilead: Which infinity sub do you have?
Old 27th August 2010, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gilead: Which infinity sub do you have?
I have the Infinity Reference sub. Infinity Kappa is also available but its expensive. Reference is the better bang for the buck.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
My 6.5 mids go louder, lower and cleaner than this 8" polk.
Please avoid.
I'd suggest a 12" anyday.
Sir I wouldn't say that. They do pack quite a punch just that they need some work.

@crimson please look into the enclosure and some damping if you don't already have some. Get a lower end sub. But make sure you have damping. Makes a BIIG difference!
Old 28th August 2010, 21:03   #12
BHPian

Ok I auditioned the following:

1. Ground Zero 12" Sealed box - Dint really get any punch from it.
2. Polk Audio 12" Ported - Liked it quite a bit. Good punch and not too boomy.
3. MXT 12" RT12AT Ported - This was the only one i felt that that my foca amp was able to drive well.
4. GT5 - 1202BP - Had highest expectation of this and I must say the Bass was the cleanest but had to turn the gain much higher and the juicer knob all the way up for it to play..

Finally picked up the MTX but have not taken a pakka bill as yet so may change it next week again. This is the first time I have had a sub in a car so i was not sure what to expect. After playing it for a couple of hours i felt the following:

1. For some reason after a while i started feeling it was a lot more boomy than i had initially felt.
2. I think i'd like something a lot less boomy and more of a cleaner punch.
3. Want to try the CS series JBL 12" sub.
4. There was also a 10" RF Punch that I should try

Last edited by Crimson : 28th August 2010 at 21:11.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:48   #13
BHPian

Need some help with this please. Any suggestions
Old 30th August 2010, 10:56   #14
BHPian

@crimson Please try the JBL again.

An MTX however is a good choice there is a chance you can try push it lower and mess around a little with your eq to bring the sub to a point where there will not be a large overlap with your 3-way comps. it takes some work to set it to your preferences
Old 30th August 2010, 10:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Is your MTX the one that comes in a cylinder like enclosure? Then yeah, it's not all that tight compared to a sealed sub. Your crossovers may not be set correctly as well. The CS series is VFM, but Infinity is better IMO. Why don't you think of it as a one time investment and get an Infinity, ID or a Kicker sub?

So if you return the MTX, your installer will sell it to someone else?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks