Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 13:16   #1
BHPian

ICE for a Palio MJD

Hi Bhpians,

I'm expecting the delivery of my Palio very soon.

Need your collective inputs in helping me to choose the right music system.

My knowledge about ICE is just basic

Budget - 12-15k max

I prefer listening to melodious English, Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam songs & Country music etc

Upgrades in future - Would probably add a Sub woofer few months down the line.

I've narrowed down to 2 installers in Bangalore - EVO (Satya) & Sachin's Autoshop in Koramangala. Which one would be better?

Waiting for replies to help me make the right choice.

Cheers
Lloyd
Old 18th October 2010, 12:25   #2
BHPian

^^
No replies so far

I had met 2 installers regarding the Palio ICE

Installer #1 gave me 3 options

1) HU - Pioneer - 4290SD
Front - Rockford R152 Prime 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
Rear - Boston Si693 6x9" Coaxial Oval speakers
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total - Rs.14900/-

2) HU - Pioneer - 2290SD
Front - Rockford R152 Prime 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
Rear - Boston Si693 6x9" Coaxial Oval Speakers
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total - Rs.12900/-

3) HU - Kenwood U346
Front - Boston S65 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
Rear - Boston Si693 6x9" Coaxial Speakers
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total - Rs.13700/-

Installer #2 gave me 3 options

1) HU - Pioneer - 4290SD
Front - JBL GTO508C (GTO-508C) 5-1/4" Component Speaker
Rear - JBL GT5-S39 6x9 Coaxial Speakers
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total - Rs.16900/-

2) HU - Kenwood U346
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total -Rs.15400/-

3) HU - Pioneer 4290SD
Front - Infinity 5030CS Component Speaker
Rear - Infinity Reference 9633i
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total - Rs.20100/-

I don't want the the total setup to exceed 15k. So kindly request you all to suggest the best from the options above or any other better config within my budget.

Cheers
Lloyd
Old 18th October 2010, 14:25   #3
BHPian

HU - Kenwood/Pioneer (5k)
Amp - Kenwood M845/JBL S644 (5k)
Front Componenets - Illusion Audio EL 5.1/ Bull Audio etc (5k)
Wiring + Install (2k)

This exceeded your budget by around 2k but it'll be future proof and you'll be able to add a subwoofer without any problem.

Bull Audio Components come with Silk Dome tweeters and are quite musical. Illusion Audio Electra and JBL components come with metal dome tweeters and are comparetively harsh on the ears. I found Illusion still much better than JBL entry level comps.

I'd suggest you take your favorite songs along and try to audtion a few other brands as well. You can add a subwoofer and damping later (which should be another 6k or so)
Old 18th October 2010, 14:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow! This appears to me as a very optimistic thread until and unless you have received a solid confirmation that the 2010 Palio will be delivered. Why I say this is because in the last 2 months have heard fluctuating news about whether the Palio will be delivered or not.

If Fiat is indeed delivering the Palio, I too would be extremely happy and would follow this thread closely since I too would need ICE for my new Palio and I too am not sure which one to go for.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:58   #5
BHPian

@funkykar, see this message on PALIO USER's group...

Yahoo! Groups

PALIO MJD's are slowly getting delivered.....
Old 18th October 2010, 15:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
@funkykar, see this message on PALIO USER's group...

Yahoo! Groups

PALIO MJD's are slowly getting delivered.....
+ 1 to this.

Prerana is getting allotment of 2-3 cars in the coming weeks. Didn't update you since I thought that you were busy with your wedding & honeymoon thereafter.

Karthik, FIAT will surely deliver a good head ache that you would love to handle

OT - Congrats on your Wedding, Wish you a Happy married life.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 18th October 2010 at 15:14.
Old 18th October 2010, 18:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
HU - Kenwood/Pioneer (5k)
Amp - Kenwood M845/JBL S644 (5k)
Front Componenets - Illusion Audio EL 5.1/ Bull Audio etc (5k)
Wiring + Install (2k)

This exceeded your budget by around 2k but it'll be future proof and you'll be able to add a subwoofer without any problem.

Bull Audio Components come with Silk Dome tweeters and are quite musical. Illusion Audio Electra and JBL components come with metal dome tweeters and are comparetively harsh on the ears. I found Illusion still much better than JBL entry level comps.

I'd suggest you take your favorite songs along and try to audtion a few other brands as well. You can add a subwoofer and damping later (which should be another 6k or so)
thelord,

Thank you for the inputs. The Pioneer 4290 SD & Kenwood 346 provides Sub Woofer controls. The Pioneer supports a 4ch Amp & Kenwood a 2ch Amp. The Pioneer costs 7.5k and the Kenwood costs 6k.

I want a HU which will provide Sub woofer controls so that I don't need to change my HU if I am fixing a Sub in future.

So my question is if I am not opting for a Amp & Sub now what would be a good option at the rear which will complement the Front components that you've suggested?
Old 18th October 2010, 18:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

^ Yes I did go through PUG. I was under the assumption that these were the 46 cars that were ready and being given. Anyways, there is a fresh lease of hope. I sure want that headache.

Thanks for the wishes.

Since the SDX comes with wiring to 5 speakers, if we install an amp and sub woofer, can we use the same wiring?
Old 19th October 2010, 13:25   #9
BHPian

Good to see another Palio MJD being delivered!!! Funkykar, whats the latest on your palio?

From the owners post, I would go for

1) HU - Pioneer - 4290SD
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total - Rs.16900/-

When you say 'wiring' what wiring is it? Brand? Pricing? As I am experiencing in my Palio MJD currently, the wiring can either make your break your system. Please also refer to my thread to see my Palio MJD setup.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...mjd-delhi.html
Old 19th October 2010, 13:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

^ The above setup looks good to me too. If I get the new Palio, I might opt for the same setup. If the new one doesnt happen, I may still get this for my exisiting Palio. The SDX comes with wiring for speakers. Doesnt this suffice? Do we need to buy the wiring?

ByDesign: My Palio status would be more or less the same as Llloyd. We did book the Palios around the same date. If he gets it, I get it too.
Old 20th October 2010, 00:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

Since the SDX comes with wiring to 5 speakers, if we install an amp and sub woofer, can we use the same wiring?
Don't know! Probably yes. Will check with the installer or someone Palio owner might share the info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Good to see another Palio MJD being delivered!!! Funkykar, whats the latest on your palio?

From the owners post, I would go for

1) HU - Pioneer - 4290SD
MDF Parcel shelf + Rings
Wiring + Fiat Harness
Total - Rs.16900/-

When you say 'wiring' what wiring is it? Brand? Pricing? As I am experiencing in my Palio MJD currently, the wiring can either make your break your system. Please also refer to my thread to see my Palio MJD setup.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...mjd-delhi.html
ByDesign,

Thanks for the input. Even I'm kind of tempted for that setup maybe I might need to stretch the budget a bit.

Btw, I did go through your thread. Your wiring travails seems to be never ending , Hope everything is sorted out soon.
Old 20th October 2010, 01:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I had a similar plan when I was outfitting my swift. Being primarily individual driven with no rear seat passengers - I would suggest the following options:

HU: Kenny (Pio often is susceptible to alternator whine in many cases i know & is slightly more chan chan)
Front: Components like GTA608c (pity they dont make 'em anymore) - see the 508 ONLY if your car door cant take the 608c or the Bulls (but they are costlier!!)
Good wiring (~1000-1500)
Amp: I had the blaupunkt GTA4 MKII - complete VFM
NO rear speakers
and sub when u're ready

Please DONT take the rear coax - IMO, I've never added the rear speakers till date and the thump/beats have been pretty awesome! Add them only if rear pax are common in your car!
Old 20th October 2010, 01:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hmm, I had a similar plan when I was outfitting my swift. Being primarily individual driven with no rear seat passengers - I would suggest the following options:

HU: Kenny (Pio often is susceptible to alternator whine in many cases i know & is slightly more chan chan)
Front: Components like GTA608c (pity they dont make 'em anymore) - see the 508 ONLY if your car door cant take the 608c or the Bulls (but they are costlier!!)
Good wiring (~1000-1500)
Amp: I had the blaupunkt GTA4 MKII - complete VFM
NO rear speakers
and sub when u're ready

Please DONT take the rear coax - IMO, I've never added the rear speakers till date and the thump/beats have been pretty awesome! Add them only if rear pax are common in your car!
Phamilyman, Thanks for the suggestions. Will check for alternate Kenwood options which supports a 4 channel Amp within my budget.

Now for 608C do they have to cut the panel?

I'm tempted to go with the rear Coaxials since I prefer driving with friends and the rear pax will always be there to give me company

The Amp & Sub has to wait because I'm short of Vitamin M due to some other commitments
Old 15th November 2010, 12:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Now, that you have received your brand new Palio, its time to post its pictures. Why dont you start a new ownership thread with details on your booking, anxious wait, PDI, your driving experience so far and what ICE you finalised on.

I will be glued to it and hope I to get to do the same very shortly once my new one comes home.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Phamilyman, Thanks for the suggestions. Will check for alternate Kenwood options which supports a 4 channel Amp within my budget.

Now for 608C do they have to cut the panel?
Though I'm not an ICE guru, I've recently got my Palio's ICE done up so I can give you bit of inputs.

Kenwood as many different options, amongst the more decent ones the 6043 will set you back by 8K and 7046 (this has Bluetooth) will set up back by about 11K. There are slightly cheaper options as well if you are willing to let go of a few things and don't plan to upgrade much later on.

Since the 608c is a 6.5" speaker a spacer ring and slight metal bending will have to be done to accomodate it. Don't worry, it looks exactly like stock from the outside. I've also got a 6.5" compo's in the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks