Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 16:17   #1
BHPian

ICE for A Safari LX

Hi Guys,

The time has come to unleash the dreams , rather time is up to Live to the dreams and make a road for myself . A wait that has been eternal to own the BULL seems to be over and I have finally made the decision and the necesarry arrangement(s) for the Vitamin M .
I am due for a car change and would be treating myself with the Beast .

Budget Constraints have limited the search between the Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT LX / EX version .

In all probabilities it appears that i might settle with the Black LX .
I have been driving on the Sony Explod on my Indica with 4 speakers so far , and have never felt the need to more than that .

Now that the upgrade is bound to happen , would request the techies /gurus to suggest probable combinations .

My current wish list is to load the Safari with a decent music system (read Sony Xplod) with some good speakers , to provide a descent output similar to what I am used to , till time .
Currently not in the need of any big bass tubes / sub woofers etc , lack on budget .

Also a indash kinda screen which can serve as the display unit for the Reverse camera system / DVD player .

Help
Old 15th December 2010, 16:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE for A Safari LX

Just tell your budget also. You have not mentioned budget for your ICE. Also your requirement is also tends to Sony XPlod and Sony Speakers set requirements.
If that is the case then you can do it within 15K all inclusive.

If you stretch it to 20K then you will get some decent components for front door, co-axial for rear door. If you want little more bass effect then you can go for 6X9 (in place of co-axials) in custom box at boot.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:37   #3
BHPian

For similar budget, you can get way better speakers and headunit than Sony.
Sony explode (especially the speakers) are'nt everyone's favorite. Pioneer headunits are quite VFM products.
Check out JBL range of speakers.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 17:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Just tell your budget also. You have not mentioned budget for your ICE. Also your requirement is also tends to Sony XPlod and Sony Speakers set requirements.
If that is the case then you can do it within 15K all inclusive.

If you stretch it to 20K then you will get some decent components for front door, co-axial for rear door. If you want little more bass effect then you can go for 6X9 (in place of co-axials) in custom box at boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
For similar budget, you can get way better speakers and headunit than Sony.
Sony explode (especially the speakers) are'nt everyone's favorite. Pioneer headunits are quite VFM products.
Check out JBL range of speakers.
The budget is in the range of <=20,000 for the Music system (the camera and the display being seperate), with any combination that is worth the effort . The gurus have been trusted for this and are yet again being trusted . Its just the inclination that is towards Sony Xplod , not the benchmark though .

Any good combination(s) alongwith indicative prices would help the cause .

Another point that struck my mind was the location for the rear speakers . Don't want to put them in the rear door (I am aware of the rattling issues it has ) .
Old 15th December 2010, 19:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rear speakers are fine in rear doors - they don't cause rattling. I have an EX, and it hasn't rattled for the last 3 years. It all depends on the workmanship of the person who mounted the speaker and tied down the cables. A bit more damping should filter out most of road noise.

First select the in-dash HU. Rear camera integration is possible with in-dash, but one doesn't get an in-dash very easily. DVD is standard in the in-dash HUs. Should cost less than a 2-DIN system.

Once you have decided the HU, we can look at what speakers should go in.
Old 15th December 2010, 22:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

For Budget System with DVD

Head Unit (JVC DVD): 11000/-
Front Components: JBL GTO - 4800/-
Rear CoAxial: 3400/- ---OR---
Rear 6X9 (JBL): 3500/-

Wires/Cables/Fitting/Box: 2000/-

------------------------------------
Total (Approximately): 21300/-- Rupees Appx

All prices are approximate prices. Please include +/- 2000 Rupees.
Old 16th December 2010, 20:30   #7
BHPian

Hi All, I am in the same boat as jealousdiamond. Just got a Safari Lx and wanted to go in for a In-Dash HU with a motorized screen.

However, when I visited Driven, I was told that there is a higher chance of these HUs needing repair because of the motor function involved in the HU. Is this true? Also 1 more question: Would it be not much more cheaper to get a good non-DVD HU, and install an overhead flip down screen, which is much bigger, supports rear view camera and has an in-built DVD player? This would work out much cheaper than an In-dash HU with a motorized screen.

Result: I am still confused what to get installed.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

No, a motorized in-dash screen is not repair prone. I am sure whoever said that has not installed or used one, and using a rather uninformed "motor hai to kharab hoga hi" conjecture. Usually these kind of negative 'expert opinions' are given when they don't know where they can get one, or want to push something else. All CD / DVD drives - whether at home or in the car, in an HU or in a computer - have motor driven tray mechanisms - how many has one seen failing?

Quote:
overhead flip down screen, which is much bigger, supports rear view camera
These are not supposed to be mounted where the driver can see it. How do you think it can be used as a rear-view camera display? There are a few which replace the Visor (all China-made) but the screen size is limited to 7".
Old 17th December 2010, 11:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
For Budget System with DVD

Head Unit (JVC DVD): 11000/-
Front Components: JBL GTO - 4800/-
Rear CoAxial: 3400/- ---OR---
Rear 6X9 (JBL): 3500/-

Wires/Cables/Fitting/Box: 2000/-

------------------------------------
Total (Approximately): 21300/-- Rupees Appx

All prices are approximate prices. Please include +/- 2000 Rupees.
+1 for the suggestion,

If you are not so keen on video or dvd you can also think of getting a RVM mounted rear camera screen and use a single din 3 rca HU like JBL 555 plus an amp to drive all the 4 speakers.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:30   #10
BHPian

@DerAlte : That is what I thought. Now I am all stuck up with options for such an HU. Have checked out Boss BV9990 at ebay, rediffshopping and one of the products at Chinavasion : http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...d-player-1din/

Not very sure how these products are, though Chinavasion is offering warranty of 1 year. Branded products like Sony, Pioneer, Alpine IVA-D106E, Kenwood KVT-636/536DVD are extremely expensive and do not have BT which these products do. Need advice of gurus please.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

There wouldn't be much difference between the Boss and the Chinavision unit, and neither would have service support in India anyhow. The Chinavision unit sounds VFM. At the rate that shows up on screen, and duty if you import directly, it is likely to cost ~20-22K. Not bad at all, considering it has
* 2 Pre-amp out
* Sub out (not sure, but sounds like that)
* Aux-in
* Rear camera video-in etc.

Most likely it runs on Windows CE, so one can run any popular GPS software like MMI, Satguide etc.

Add an amp and some capable speakers, and you will have a jhin-chak system in your gaddi!

Last edited by DerAlte : 18th December 2010 at 18:36.
Old 24th December 2010, 19:56   #12
BHPian

you can also consider going for a single DIN DVD HU. these are usually cheap. also you get 3.5 inch one in JVC and china make. they should be good enough for the camera. motorised displays are not a problem, you need to be careful to not operate it on bumps or allow the driver n other people access to it as a toy. then, you can also put a rear-view bumper mirror on the rear windshield, or a parking sensor.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:48   #13
BHPian

I have sourced two headrest monitors 9" from US and plan to install a good DVD player alongwith a decent output .
The current choice and the limited market knowledge has kept the choice to

Sony XPLOD HU - MEX 1606 - 11600
JBL GTO - 5000

Is it possible to have a combination of 6 speakers overall . I mean 2 on the front door , 2 on the rear door (middle seats) and a speaker box installed in the boot with a pair of 6*9 .
Few more questions to be answered lease: :
  • Choice of better HU's in the similar range ?
  • Choice of speakers for the front and the middle rows (bolt on , no cuts on the door pannels ) ?
  • Would the HU be able to drive these set of 6 on its own or an amp is required ?
  • Choice of Clip on type Rear view camera setup .
Please suggest , if possible with approximate charges . Lol I am waiting for the 1st Feb so desperately , Vitamin M seems to be running off like anything
Old 25th January 2011, 12:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
... 6 speakers overall . I mean 2 on the front door , 2 on the rear door (middle seats) and a speaker box installed in the boot with a pair of 6*9 .
Few more questions to be answered lease: :
  • Choice of better HU's in the similar range ?
  • Choice of speakers for the front and the middle rows (bolt on , no cuts on the door pannels ) ?
  • Would the HU be able to drive these set of 6 on its own or an amp is required ?
  • Choice of Clip on type Rear view camera setup .
1. Possible. No problem for the front speakers, but you need to check if the amp (you NEED an amp for this) is capable of driving ~ slightly less than 2 ohms load that will be the result of putting the middle and rear speakers in parallel. Or, you will need to get a 6-channel amp!

2. JVC would be a better choice than Sony for a DVD HU
3. Speakers you should decide only after auditioning them. JBL is good, then there is Infinity, Blaupunkt, Polk, Illusion, Auditor, Bull etc. - wide range. They have to be bolt-on, since none of the off-the-shelf 6.5" speakers fit in the regular Safari location which takes *only* 6" speakers. The 6.5" speakers are mounted using an MDF spacer - no holes need to be drilled in the door pad
4. An amp would be definitely required - both for driving your configuration, as well as enhancing the listening experience
5. Clip-on rear-view camera? In Safari, the rear bumper place provided for the camera (there is a removable flap in the center of the rear bumper for that). The problem will be that you have got monitors that mount in the head-rests, so where will you look at the rear image in? There are many RVCs in the market which replace the rear view mirror. Did you mean that?
Old 25th January 2011, 17:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
you will need to get a 6-channel amp!

please help with the options for a 6 channel Amp
2. JVC would be a better choice than Sony for a DVD HU - Again the variants would be of help
3. Speakers you should decide only after auditioning them. JBL is good, then there is Infinity, Blaupunkt, Polk, Illusion, Auditor, Bull etc.

Have auditioned JBL / Illusion Electra etc , treat for the ears .

5. There are many RVCs in the market which replace the rear view mirror. Did you mean that?
Bingo ! thats what i was looking for the replacement screens for the RVM
Thanks for the quick response

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks