Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 20:34   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade : Maruti Ritz

Hello All,

Finally I guess I am getting my car ..its a Ritz VXI. Now it does not have a ICE. So I am planning for a phase I ICE.

So the plans is like this...a simple plan....I need an ICE....but thats all the confusing lot...

So the plan is
1. I need a 2 DIN Music player
2. Front Door 6.5" components

Rear speakers I will upgrade in Phase II.

Please guys suggest.

I did a little research and found that JBL 608c is @ 45 W RMS and Polk Audio Compos @ 100 W RMS..price difference @ 4K.

The guy at the shop told me that 2 DIN JVC speakers cannot drive an amplifier. Only Pioneer 6050 can. I guess this is totally wrong....

Guys and All gurus please suggest.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Maruti Ritz

Polk DB6501 is not much more clear sounding speaker than a GTO608c, The treble is pretty bright, Rated RMS is a very debatable topic, I have seen 40 RMS speakers blow the 100 RMS polk out of the water in clarity and power handling. Company specified specs can be misleading.

JVC 2 dins can run an amp, but the only one which sounds better than the pioneer 6050 is the 816 2 din and for the 13k price tag it has bluetooth too which is neat.

What kind of music do you enjoy more ? speaker choices will vary depending on listening preferences.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Check this out which I did for my Estilo. Though you can go for a @DIN from JVC with same setup. One of my colleague got it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...olkd-jblb.html

HU : JVC KD-R816 Bluetooth / Dual USB iPod-iPhone
Rear Tray : Polk Audio db691
Front : Blaupunkt Velocity Vc542
Old 26th December 2010, 20:46   #4
BHPian

@BlueRaven - Thanks man. I was specifially confused of those number.

@ nmadabhi - I am going through your thread now. Thanks for the help.

Now, today's search results.

As everyone said, listen to the setups and then decide for yourself. And yes me and my wife did that today. We went to Reliance Autozone in HSR on the ORR. There we took audition of JBL and Infinity compos. And I am totally blown away by the Infinity series. It has such good sound...tight bass and damn good clarity. They gave me a quote of 8,999 for the Infinity compos.

So till now these are the specs probables...
HU - Pioneer 6050 - Quote @ 12, 990 but available in eBay.in @ 10,990.
OR
HU - JVC XR816 - eBay price @ 14,990 but expecting a local price of around 10K. Lets see.

Front Compos - Infinity REF6530CS
Amplifier - Still to decide.
Wiring - Rs. 2,500 (some chinese brand)

Also I saw in MGA store that there is a specialized Ritz HU sold. Its actually Alpine make 1-DIN system but it has a faceplate which makes it looks like a 2-DIN system and makes a perfect fit as if it is a factory fitted one. Any idea on that HU ?

Went to Sachin's shop today. But it was closed. Hoping to meet this guy and also EVO before deciding on the setup.

Last edited by VictorSinha : 26th December 2010 at 20:54.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:15   #5
BHPian

@VictorSinha
Infinity comps are indeed good. Though, they are a bit sharp and not as detailed as some other products like DLS R6A / Morel Tempo / Rainbow Titans.

I would prefer the Kenwood X7016 HU over the Pioneer and JVC models you mentioned. I know it's a single din HU but you can easily use the left space to keep CDs etc. Otherwise I'd pick the JVC over the Pioneer, slightly better SQ.

Amplifier - Kenwood 8405 / Kenwood M845 / JBL S644 (in this order)

Good luck with your ICE quest! Try to audition as many brands for front components as possible.
Old 1st January 2011, 09:20   #6
BHPian

So ma car is home now. And I am so so happy to own this 85 BHP monster.

Going for ICE today or tomorrow.

Planned

1. JVC HU - 2 DIN - 9000
2. Infinity Component in the front.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:51   #7
BHPian

ICE Setup for Ritz ZXI - budget upto 30K

Hi All,

I have booked a ZXI which is due for delivery in about 12 days now.

As you all know the Nippon setups are really pathetic, since the showroom is giving me discounts, thought of utilising the same for a good ICE and invest additional 5k-10k if required.

I have the below Setups on Offer from the Dealer (existing Nippon ICE will be a buy back - quotes 3.5K)

HU + Speakers setup:

HU - JVC AV50 - Rs.19990
Speakers - JBL 949 (400W) guess -6-8K (dont remember)
2 or 4 channel JBL Amp (I am not willing to buy but can think about it)
2 Channel - Rs.5490
4 Channel - Rs.8990
Wiring etc - Rs.2500

I am a fan of Alpine and checked with them for Alpine HUs from Maruti dealership since they have a tieup with Alpine,Sony, JVC and JBL. But the problem is they cannot get a decent Single Din/Dual Din Alpine at all. They are offering a basic dual din with single pre out (Rs.7500)

I have few Alpine Models in Mind -

Source:

http://www.alpine-asia.com/product/Head-Unit

Single Din - meets all my requirements
iDA-X305S
CDA-137EBT (Ist preference)
CDE-135EBT
CDE-134EBT

Dual Din:
CDE-W235EBT

My personal choice:

Alpine System
Infinity Kappa/Reference Series above 300-600W
or
JBL 600 W Components
If required a 4 Channel Amp
Am not a great fan of SW, hence most likely not opting for.

Problems:
1. Maruti Warranty will apply for MGA parts only, now this includes few HUs tagged as MGA viz., JVC,Sony, Alpine. Maruti say if these models are fitted then even if electrical warranty issues comeup they will take entire responsibility. Any HUs bought outside will not be given electrical warranty due to tampering issues in wiring or electrical warranty will be void.

2. I asked the showroom guys to get the same from Alpine and install it themselves, - They dont agree and try to push me the JVC AV 50 which is a Dual din touchscreen, but no where close the Alpine(clarity wise). However, I have spoken to the manager who incidentally knows a person who deals in Alpine and would be enquiring about the above models.(hope something materializes)

Questions:

1. What needs to be very critical to ensure my electrical warranty doesnt get void incase I am getting the ICE setup done outside and keep my electrical setup in the car Safe (Dos & Dont's) ?

2. Any pointers to ensure a troublefree and safe setup is done so not to hamper or spoil my electrical circuits/network in my car ?

3. Anyone has a idea about Alpine dealership/genuine who is providing a manufacturer's warranty (B&W) ?

4. Anyone knows of Professional to deliver a troublefree and professional ICE setup with good wiring and reliable service and good knowledge above all ?

5. Any idea about the pricing of Alpine HUs available recently ?

6. Advise on the price quotation worthiness of the ICE setup by the Dealer ?

guide and help.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE Setup for Ritz ZXI - budget upto 30K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
... 1. What needs to be very critical to ensure my electrical warranty doesnt get void incase I am getting the ICE setup done outside and keep my electrical setup in the car Safe (Dos & Dont's) ? ...
Ask the dealer to show the exact wording in the Warranty! The dealer is pulling a fast one - no warranty is void if connections are made to connectors provided, without cutting any wires. When he talks of adding an amp, there are no wires in the harness to cater to an amp - he will install extra wiring from battery, RCAs from HU and new speaker wires (bypassing harness wires for speakers). How does he do that without messing up warranty? Because it doesn't fall under warranty. Different matter if you buy a Performance Box and splice it into the wires going to ECU.

Quote:
... 2. Any pointers to ensure a troublefree and safe setup is done so not to hamper or spoil my electrical circuits/network in my car ? ...
Any decent installer will use a Harness Adapter for Suzuki cars. This obviates cutting / splicing harness wires.

Quote:
... 3. Anyone has a idea about Alpine dealership/genuine who is providing a manufacturer's warranty (B&W) ? ...
Go to a good installer - they will arrange it from the Alpine distributor.

Quote:
... 4. Anyone knows of Professional to deliver a troublefree and professional ICE setup with good wiring and reliable service and good knowledge above all ? ...
Anwar (Top Gear, near JNC, Koramangala); Thouqeer (Auto Fusion, near Koramangala Club); Satya (EVO, Cambridge Layout opposite Ranka Apartments); Sachin (Sachin's Auto Shop, lane behind Bosch Hosur Road) ... etc.

Quote:
... 6. Advise on the price quotation worthiness of the ICE setup by the Dealer ? ...
He has quoted MRP. Street prices are usually 15-20% less.

Which dealer is this?
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 00:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ask the dealer to show the exact wording in the Warranty! ...Which dealer is this?
Garuda Autocraft, Lalbagh road.

Last edited by navin : 19th January 2013 at 10:35. Reason: No need to quote the entire post.
Old 19th January 2013, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Garuda Autocraft, Lalbagh road.
No dearth of dealers - try another one. Though I don't expect them to be any different, the next guy might be more careful finding you knowledgeable - they usually prey on ignorance.
Old 21st January 2013, 18:21   #11
BHPian

The Electrical warranty Maruti is talking about is, if the ICE is the Tagged MGA equipment they wouldnt mind it, as the same is made to meet the specific design in Maruti Cars. Hence if its a non MGA and in the event of any electrical warranty issues happening, they can easily blame the customer for tampering. I know this is debatable but to utilise 20-30k I cant risk the warranty. Not sure what to do, however I have got a 12K discount on the overall accessories including ICe setup from the dealer for

HU - JVC AV50 - Rs.19990
Speakers - JBL 949 (400W - 100 RMS) 3490
JBL (front) 150W(50 RMS) 3490 with tweeter and cutout (I guess)

Amp he suggested not to put, but now I am feeling an Amp would do justice to the setup preferable a 4 channel.

I have few doubts

The Maruti stand on Electrical warranty - Use Maruti approved MGA products to avoid/protect your car from any kind of warranty issues. They offer limited but few good HUs like JVC Av50 Sony few models etc., They say these models are approved as MGA as they meet the technical specifications of the design inside the car HU unit, hence need no kind of tampering and its just fitting of the equipment. Hence they provide warranty for it.

If the same HU is fitted from outside, the warranty would be void as the original design is different. I understand, JVC, Sony and JBL are providing customised products per maruti specifications. Though I can debate to any length, but do feel insecure about the warranty issues if any.

I have a few questions:
1. If Maruti stock HU can work with the stereo mounted audio controls, why it cant/doesnt any other system installed ? Maruti says it wont work.
I want to retain the convenience of using the stereo mounted audio controls, any ideas or workarounds without tampering anything ?
2. Important question - Do i realy go with Maruti MGA fitment for JVC JBL setup or not ?
3. What is the real impact if I am getting it done outside ? Will I get B&W for the product purchased outside considering 15-20% price difference compared to MRP by Maruti ? Will I have warranty issues ? how to safeguard from monopoly by Maruti for MGA ICE setups ?
4. Has anyone changed the Stock HU in Ritz ZXI or changed the speaker setup only (with Stock HU) and it has sounded much better ?
5. I am not a complete audiophile but would definitely want good music in the car, I listen to all kinds of music, is it possible ?

Any guidance would be really helpful.

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd January 2013 at 11:05.
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Electrical warranty Maruti is talking about is ...
1. If Maruti stock HU can work with the stereo mounted audio controls, why it cant/doesnt any other system installed ? Maruti says it wont work.
I want to retain the convenience of using the stereo mounted audio controls, any ideas or workarounds without tampering anything ?
2. Important question - Do i realy go with Maruti MGA fitment for JVC JBL setup or not ?
3. What is the real impact if I am getting it done outside ? Will I get B&W for the product purchased outside considering 15-20% price difference compared to MRP by Maruti ? Will I have warranty issues ? how to safeguard from monopoly by Maruti for MGA ICE setups ?
4. Has anyone changed the Stock HU in Ritz ZXI or changed the speaker setup only (with Stock HU) and it has sounded much better ?
5. I am not a complete audiophile but would definitely want good music in the car, I listen to all kinds of music, is it possible ?...
@Sunshines, "easily blame", "stand" and "wouldn't mind it" is quite different from official Warranty language. Maruti wants a piece of the pie of Accessory sales, RECOMMENDS using their stuff, and it is usually not Maruti but the DEALER who uses grey language to push. If they have provided standard connectors to which customer connects standards-based equipment, Maruti cannot void Warranty legally.

1. Some HU models are steering wheel controls compatible, either directly or with an interposing box. Maruti / Dealer is incorrect in saying "Can't / won't"

2. Maruti itself sells JBL HU and speakers as OE as (one of the options), though it is not the best of sets (feature/sound-wise). The key decision for you is Features you want

3. Yes. No. Ignore (remember, they are RECOMMENDED, not MANDATORY)

4. Both (haven't heard of changing HU but retaining OE speakers), at least OE speakers. Please look at the threads in Sound Off & Show Off section

5. Of course

* "cutout (I guess)": Cross-over (XO)!

* "Hence they provide warranty for it": Of course they have to provide Warranty FOR THE HU if they supply it. They can't, if they don't. You wouldn't ask them for servicing the HU if you bought it from outside.

* "the warranty would be void as the original design is different": See above point. This is typical ambiguous language used by them. WHICH warranty will be void? HU Warranty is not CAR warranty. Car warranty extends to HU ONLY IF they supplied it (like OE, but OE only if the HU came with the car or was an MGS equipment fitted at the time of DELIVERY).

The decision is ultimately yours; everyone else can only "recommend".
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:35   #13
BHPian

Suggest a HU for Ritz

Hi,

Can anybody suggest me a good HU with iPod direct control. good display is a must.

Currently using Alpine IDA-X100, which was carried from Santro to i10, I plan to change my car soon and want to change the HU as well.

Shortlisted options are:
1. Alpine X305s - Alpine SQ, ipod integration, add on features are modular and would be additional cost (imprint processor and tuning kit)

2. Kenwood KIV-700 - plays iPod videos as well, decent audio tuning on the HU itself, feels slow when seen youtube reviews.

or any other that would be similar on features with respect to display and ipod int. I am not a fan of Double dins.

I would adding a 4 channel amp(Polk PA200.4) and pioneer powered woofer W206 from the existing setup.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:27   #14

ICE Setup for Ritz

Hi Audiophile BHP'ians,

I am planning for ICE on my Ritz. Since my budget is a constraint and give the fact that the HU has been gifted to me (Pioneer DEH X3590UI), request some expert or otherwise feedback on the following selection.
Since usually it's me driving alone, I am looking for a good rear speaker with some decent bass, and have selected the JBL GTO 949 (coax). And for the front, have selected JBL CS 6(coax again).
949 is INR 4800 & CS6 is around 2400/-
My questions are as follows :
Is this choice of speakers good for the given price?
Is the HU able to drive all the four speakers?
I have read about the couplers, which will help in keeping the warranty intact. Is that true for the Ritz too?
Is there any better option for the front speakers within 2k?
Was told by the shop keeper that the rear wooden tray will cost INR 1000. Is that justified?
Is the stock Ritz wiring sufficient or shall I get a good quality wires for the installation?

Thank you in advance for the suggestions/feedback/advice !
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE Setup for Ritz

1. Yes,the speakers you have selected are good and the best one could get in that budget.
2. The headunit will easily be able to drive all 4 speakers.
3. I doubt any warranty would get affected on the ritz by installing a headunit and speakers.
4. Nope,these are the best one could get in your budget.Change the front speaker option to the JBL S666 coaxials instead of the CS6.Its more advanced and powerfull.
5. Yes,a MDF tray for any car costs around 750-1000 rupees.
6. I doubt the car comes with factory wiring for aftermarket speakers so you might have to get good wiring.

Hope this post helps clear out a few things.
cityvic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks