Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 15:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Double Din for Fortuner

@DerAlte: LoL!!

@deepu9999: The OEM panel in the fortuner is perhaps the most unworthy in the first place ! Anything would be better than the existing.
However, the reason I am looking for a rather basic double din unit is because I have basic use of it. The Fortuner is chauffeurs my mother around 90% of the time who listens to mainly the radio leave alone a CD or DVD viewing

Last edited by Sahil : 1st March 2011 at 15:49.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:31   #17

@ DerAlte :

No Personal Offense, but dont you think a modern car needs an audio system that is not just a music player but should have other advanced features like Bluetooth Mobile connectivity which is a very safety feature also and not to mention other things like GPS navigation ??

Are music players supposed to be just music players still in the year 2011??

I am very surprised & If i have to be rude, Yes the Hindhi dialogue which you said is really true, those audio systems are not wothy to be in a Fortuner. maybe suits a city boy who goes banging around music in his tiny little city car!
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:41   #18

@Sahil: If that is the case, the OEM System will do fine.

My fortuner is used only on motorways and that too is self driven, i use the accord in town, so i am looking at one with GPS & Bluetooth.
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

@deepu9999, perhaps you should take time (from your obviously busy schedule) to read up more in the ICE forum as to how the members take decisions on what they buy. Most of us don't buy anything because it is related to the prestige of the car. If someone needs Bluetooth, they will buy something suitable even if they drive a Matiz or an M800. Or conversely, they don't NOT buy it because they don't have a Landcruiser Prado.

Ditto for a Navigation. Whoever needs it buys it anyhow even if it is not integrated with the music system, since the GPS has really nothing to do with the music system.

What one buys a 'music system' (to replace the stock system) is for listening to music with a better quality of music reproduction, no matter whether there is BT or GPS or not.
Old 7th April 2011, 20:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Sahil, were you able to decide and install any particular HU? I have heard of CASKA and seen a few capable of both Rev Mirr + Rev Sens + BT systems in the range of 30k, however do not have a ready reference or website address. Dont know how are they available and how good they are adn whether they will work with the steering controls (I htink adapters should be available for many of the systems of this calibre these days). You may want to check it out before finalization. If you have already installed, do post your pics for the same.
Old 11th April 2011, 17:42   #21

@DerAlte: Thank you very much for enlightning me!

would really have considered your valuable and modest suggestions but unfortunately I already went to Vikram of Car Shringaar and got my car loaded with:

Kenwood 8038 Head Unit
Map My India Black Box GPS Unit
Audison 4 Channel AMP
JBL Monoblock
Focal KRX3 Components
Polk Subwoofer

I think from your expertise you will be able to realise that the above systems does sound sweet and also meets all my requirements and will not be hanging a 100 wires on my dash and Charger Holes!

But if some one is Happy in buying a Bluetooth seperate, A Sat Nav Seperate, A reverse Cam Seperate, A Music System Seperate with all the Chargers and stuff to take care: I WISH THEM GOOD LUCK!
Old 14th August 2011, 09:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Original MMI head units are also now available with 7" touch screen, dvd, bt, usb, aux in and of course gps navigation. And the best part is that the original steering mounted controls work out of the box. Model for Fortuner is MMI-FOR11 and link is MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India
MRP is 44K and I was offered 37K at Lajpat Nagar, Delhi. Reverse camera is 1.5K extra.

Double Din for Fortuner-gallery.jpg
Double Din for Fortuner-mmifor11.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab
for those concerned about the quality of such units,
Hmmm, you have got me thinking there mdsaab. I think you are right...

edit:
Well @mdsaab, the specs read like this -
  • Fully functional 7 inch Touch screen.
  • Steering Control Support.
  • Virtual CDC.
  • Professional audio system. Supports 5:1 Audio Channel.
  • Fully functional remote control.
  • Preset Equalizer (Nature/Pop/Rock)
  • Reverse Camera input support.
  • Original Factory Wiring Harness and Connector.
It says professional audio system with 5:1 audio channel. I touched the system by hand and it felt well built. Did NOT hear the sound quality, but it comes with MMI's 1 year guarantee and I don't think MMI will launch a inferior quality product seeing their reputation. China makes good products too for all the top brands. Anyways, I am researching more; will keep everyone updated. Thanks for the tip though...

Last edited by dkaile : 14th August 2011 at 09:38.
Old 15th August 2011, 12:30   #23
BHPian

Hi

I have a Camry 2007. It has a good Audio Quality but lacks basic features like Aux in, USB, Bluetooth, GPS. It is not possible to even connect an Iphone except for the pathetic FM transmitters.

I have bought a USA Spec PA15-TOY adapter which will give me Iphone connectivity and Aux In.

Eventually I will install a HU with DVD + Navigation + 7/8" Touch Screen + Bluetooth + Reverse Camera + Iphone Connectivity.

Camry has a unique shape for the HU and I was browsing for Camry Specific HUs. A good Chinese Unit like this for the Camry with all these features costs around US $ 350 in Hong Kong. Here are links of a few of these.
T8964G Car DVD Player with GPS,Ipod,Iphone,BT,SWC,HD,3 Zone Screen for Toyota Camry - Tradesolution HK Ltd.
Toyota Camry DVD - Toyota Camry GPS - Toyota Camry Navigation - Toyota Camry multimedia system

A similar Unit by Map my Inda costs 40,000 which is more than double.
The only issue is that I will have to find maps for India for these. Also it might be tricky to have them installed.

Has anybody been able to buy such chinese HUs in India, are they available in the Grey market at a more reasonable price ?
I am sure Map My India is just importing such units, and then installing their Software.

What do you guys suggest about this ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 15th August 2011 at 12:33.
Old 16th August 2011, 09:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Has anybody been able to buy such chinese HUs in India, are they available in the Grey market at a more reasonable price ?
I am sure Map My India is just importing such units, and then installing their Software.

What do you guys suggest about this ?

Styler
One of my friends got these chinese units for his Polo at about 15k with navigation, bt et al. It is easily fittable and working quite well. he build quality also looked decent from the short test drive he gave me. But comes without any warranty or repair support.

Yesterday, while searching for a good HU for my Fortuner, I was offered a very economical HU from Convex, Model CX-D7770BT/5S, though its not showing on their website - 7" Double Din as the set is just launched. It was a 7 incher with every damn thing. Only thing was missing was steering mounted control unit aka Pioneer. And the cost was just 15K!!. It seemed pretty decent quality and looked just like the Pioneer 4250/4350 series and something like this -

Double Din for Fortuner-cxd7905btss.jpg
Specs here - CX-D7905BT/5S

The total cost he told me was -
15000 for the HU Convex CX-D7770BT/5S with original Sygic Maps on SD Card
6200 for 2 Head rest mounted screens for the back seats with beige (matching) leather
The head rest TFT's were similar to this -

Double Din for Fortuner-chr7020dv5sss.jpg
Specs here (but without DVD model) - CHR-7020DV/5S

1200 for Reverse Camera
150 for original Fortuner Socket (no wire cutting at all)
4500 for optional Bass Tube with inbuilt amplifier (make: Convex with Steel Cone)
The bass tube was removable if there was more luggage in the boot. This was the Bass Tube Sub woofer -

Double Din for Fortuner-c100tda5sss.jpg
Specs here - C-1000TDA/5S

Total 27,050/- looked very attractive deal. This is with 1 year full company guarantee and he is the local distributor for West UP here in Meerut.
I had installed a double din economical sytem of Convex in an employee's Alto and the sound quality was matching the Pioneer's et al despite the price...

Last edited by dkaile : 16th August 2011 at 09:40.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 08:52   #25
BHPian

So dkaile,
What's it gonna be for the Falcon?

1. Mega audio from Galaxy
2. Caska
3. Chinese unit
4. Pioneer/ Kenwood/ JVC
Old 20th September 2011, 09:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
So dkaile,
What's it gonna be for the Falcon?

1. Mega audio from Galaxy
2. Caska
3. Chinese unit
4. Pioneer/ Kenwood/ JVC
Lolz Monaro; I am totally confused. I don't need dedicated GPS as I have a very good android phone with a big 4.5" screen which does the job admirably for my 'occasional' need. I 'test heard' the Mega Audio unit (Photo here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2510860 ) and though it's highly versatile but I found the sound quality below par in the Etios it was tested upon. My good friend charthom tells me that the stock speakers also need a change for these Caskas/MegaAudios for which I am really not in a mood. I test heard the Chinese Unit I mentioned above too (Convex) and surprisingly it was mind blowing with deep bass from that bass tube (which is removable at will). Pioneer et al will give me the best quality, as I have already been using a Pioneer HU on my Qualis till date.

I have also a lingering thought to install a 5~7" screen based GPS unit on the dashboard like the MMI ZX150 Dlx - MapmyIndia Navigator Zx150 Deluxe : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India which doubles up as many things like 5" Touchscreen device, Multimedia Video Player, Bluetooth Device with phone support, Reverse Camera Support, Photo and eBook reader. And it doesn't touch my original system and is totally removable at will. However I am wary of any wires sticking out on the dashboard and am planning how it can be installed on the dashboard without a single wire visible.

Double Din for Fortuner-tilted_1.jpg

So for now, I have decided to stick to the good old stock 6 cd changer which gives surprisingly good sound (especially on 320kbps mp3's) and that seems the best bet for now.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th September 2011 at 09:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks