Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 13:12   #1
BHPian

TS-200 Universal Steering Remote Mini Review

I had been using the Pioneer CD-SR100 steering remote for almost a year and was possibly the most useful ICE accessory i had. However, on a in a fit of cleaning enthusiasm by my car cleaning chap, the clips on the steering clamp broke and the remote was now very loose on the steering and if you use it to change the volume the remote would simply fall off causing, well lets just say you would not like to catch a falling remote while negotiating rush hour pedder road traffic.

So the hunt began for a new SR-100, but as luck would have it these little remotes are notoriously hard to find, sometimes they are abundantly in stock where they are available for as low as Rs. 800 -1000 or they are just obscenely priced for Rs. 1600-1800. I would have bought the MPR-999, but i was not in a mood to spend 2K on it.

On this particular wasted Wednesday (wasted because I was in office on a bank holiday) and looking through Team-Bhp classifieds, I stumbled upon a listing by fellow bhpian sandeepsahni's listing of the TS-200 remote in the classified sections. It was priced quite reasonably at Rs.700+ shipping so on a whim i decided to buy it.

Well i received it promptly the next day, here are some pics of the box and the remote itself.
The remote is not the learning type (aka. MPR999) but actually has the codes of various remotes which need to be programmed in the remote before you can use it. The codes are mentioned on the user pamphlet which comes on the box.
The remote actually is slightly bigger than the Pioneer SR 100, but the build quality is not as good as the pioneer. The volume, fwd,back, Ent and power buttons are back lit which is a plus point, but the buttons themselves are not as plush in feel as the SR100 is.
The biggest thing to get used to is the change in position of the volume buttons. On the pioneer one they just felt so ergonomic and natural that getting used to this setup would be a pain. The TS 200 mimics all the pioneer functions including the ones it does not have like ability enter the browse mode for the folders on the flash drives and play lists etc on the ipod.

The clamp mechanism on the other hand feels better built than the pioneer's but that is something only time will tell.

Overall for its price its a VFM buy.

Cheers
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
TS-200 Universal Steering Remote Mini Review-ts-200-box.jpg  

TS-200 Universal Steering Remote Mini Review-ts-200-remote.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2011 at 12:53. Reason: Removing link to ebay product listing.
Old 18th February 2011, 14:02   #2
BHPian

re: TS-200 Universal Steering Remote Mini Review

Deb, Even I am looking for one. Can you kindly educate me what does F1, F2, F3, F4 does ?

If i remember correctly [ correct me if I am wrong ]. In 999, we can use Function keys F1 etc to educate the remote. Does it happen the same with 200 ?

Thanks a ton
Old 21st February 2011, 11:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I just ordered one for my JVC AVX 810. This will save me for using the touch screen, which is anyhow not the convenient.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Deb, Even I am looking for one. Can you kindly educate me what does F1, F2, F3, F4 does ?

If i remember correctly [ correct me if I am wrong ]. In 999, we can use Function keys F1 etc to educate the remote. Does it happen the same with 200 ?

Thanks a ton
HI,

sorry for the delayed response, for my pioneer 6050 the buttons do the following

F1 - Depending on the mode, eg. iPod, you can select the play mode aka random, repeat
F2 - Radio Channel Up. ( i assume when you connect the flash drive, it will move folders but i have not tried this)
F3 - Radio Channel Down
F4 - Audio Setup

Also this is not a learning remote. It has preprogrammed codes for most of common functions on the popular HU's

Hope this helps
Cheers
Sid

Last edited by siddharthdeb : 21st February 2011 at 11:17. Reason: Missed an answer
Old 21st February 2011, 13:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: TS-200 Universal Steering Remote Mini Review

can you post a picture of how/where you have mounted this on the steering.

thanks
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:45   #6
BHPian

@smsrini hope this helps. Apologies for the poor quality of picture, there was just too much light.
Attached Thumbnails
TS-200 Universal Steering Remote Mini Review-imag0351.jpg  

Old 1st March 2011, 12:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

I received mine few days back but I have to sent it back as the unit was not functioning with my car's HU. I even tried it with other brand of HUs but it was not working with any of those either.
The seller Mr. Sandeep has ensured me that he will get the unit checked and will send me a new piece, though I am little skeptical now about its getting hooked with my HU, I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.
Old 1st March 2011, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I received mine few days back but I have to sent it back as the unit was not functioning with my car's HU. I even tried it with other brand of HUs but it was not working with any of those either.
The seller Mr. Sandeep has ensured me that he will get the unit checked and will send me a new piece, though I am little skeptical now about its getting hooked with my HU, I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

which HU ? I have problems getting it to work with a Kenwood. The remote does not accept the c-mute combination mentioned for kenwood. Yet to send it back..
Old 1st March 2011, 16:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^My car is fitted with JVC AVX 810, I tried with JVC DVD code but it didn't work, the seller Mr.Sandeep asked me to try with JVC Audio code, but that too didn't work.
He told me that country of origin could have effect on the codes, I have told him over phone that mine is made in Indonesia.
Old 1st March 2011, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

No, this is not about being Made in Indonesia, it is about which market you model was destined / made for.
Old 1st March 2011, 17:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^I bought the model with proper bill and warranty, which ensures that the model which I bought is very much India specific.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Same here. bought the kenwood in blr with bill & warranty.. mine does not have a DVD player, so region should not matter though..

Sandeep recommended i remove the battery, wait for 5 min and put it back.. that did not work as well.
Old 2nd March 2011, 00:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. I had also seen this in the classifieds some time back, but held up on buying it

How is the product in terms of usage. Is it effective, do the functions work fine, is there a delay or so on. I am not worried about the ergonomics but on its functionality

Thanks
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

I don't believe in this universal remote business.
If its not a remote that "learns" from the standard remote, then it's gonna be a risky proposition.

A list of the brands of HUs with which this works(tried and tested by BHPians) could be created in the first post and appended regularly so it can be used as a reference for those interested.
Old 6th March 2011, 12:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to receive the fresh piece or any communication on the status of the same from seller.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks