Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2006, 14:16   #1
BHPian

Good Sub+Amp combo to add to my Esteem?

I have a Pioneer 8450 and a pair of 6995s (6x9s) in the rear. I have two small speakers in the front, but I don't know where they are and I have no idea what make/power they are but they're probably 2 or 3inchers.

Anyway, I'm looking at adding a sub to this setup. I need some good pounding bass, which I believe would need a separate amp as well. Do I really need an amp? The deck has settings for a subwoofer so I'm wondering if that's enough to power an amp.

I'm not looking at spending too much, so I would like to cap it at around 5k.

Any suggestions? Remember: good, pounding bass.

- Aalaap
www.aalaap.com

P.S. I went thru around 15 pages of posts but I couldn't find anything as direct and relevant as what I want...
Old 9th January 2006, 14:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. YOu didnt go through the right pages or thrad.

2. You would need an amp for teh sub.

3. 3.5k for Pio sub + 3.5k sony amp (502z) + cable 1k .... the min I guess

4. I would haev suggest that you go for an amp to power all speakers, but you want thumppp thUUUmppp...

5. Can you tell us what those front speakers are? Hope its atleast a 4incher!
Old 9th January 2006, 15:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas

4. I would haev suggest that you go for an amp to power all speakers, but you want thumppp thUUUmppp...

5. Can you tell us what those front speakers are? Hope its atleast a 4incher!
Esteem front speakers are 4 inchers, they are mounted in the dash board.
Old 9th January 2006, 15:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Possibly. It was too confusing and I didn't even know what search terms to put.

Quote:
Okay I'm cool with that.

Quote:
That comes to around 8k. Hmm. I had seen some sony amps that were selling for around 2500 or so, wouldn't it be possible to get a woofer also for the same price? Thereby putting everything in 5k? I'm not going to compromise on cables - so I'll get really good quality shielded OFCs.

Quote:
Do you mean that putting an amp for the speakers would not give me the thump from the sub? I'm guessing you're talking about using the amp for the speakers instead of having a subwoofer in the first place.. okay I don't know about that. See I'm sure my deck is maxing out my 6x9s at high volumes, so an amp out there, i feel, is unnecessary. Yeah, the thump is the absolute necessity.

Feel free to prove me wrong btw, I don't know much about all this.

[quote]5. Can you tell us what those front speakers are? Hope its atleast a 4incher![quote]

I'll try and find them tonight and post! LOL But I'm sure they're nothing interesting. Basic stock Kenwood stuff, probably. In time I'll probably replace those with 4"s as well. And maybe a pair of tweets for that exxxtrra tissss tissss tissss LOL

I'll go to the local dealer and get his reco and see if it gives me what I want. I'll post about that.

Meanwhile, if anyone else knows the best sub+amp that 5k can buy, post!

- Aalaap
www.aalaap.com
Old 9th January 2006, 15:32   #5
BHPian

If you are powering ur sub only with the amp, then the sound from the speakers will be drowned in the bass from the sub. So to maintain a balance power the speakers as well.
Old 9th January 2006, 15:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

5K is very low. the Sony 502+Pio 306C combo is about the cheapest.
Old 9th January 2006, 15:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why I suggest teh '5'th option is coz, 6x9 would act as a 8inch woofer if driven by an amp.

There's an amp by Blau, PA275. See if you can get it.

Oh forgot, for an IB setup you would need a good MDF board! 800-1k !

and whats this OFC? optic fibre?! jbl sub cables set costs Rs.2990 MRP
Old 9th January 2006, 15:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

1. Oxegen Free Copper
2. PA275 cost more than the sony 502.
3. most 6x9 are poor subwoofers. they are designed to have a mid bass hump and very little below 40Hz.
Old 10th January 2006, 16:41   #9
BHPian

After a bit of contemplating I've decided that I shall buy two amps - one to power the four speakers (front 4s and rear 6x9s) and one to power the sub. Navin, if I get the Sony 502 and Pio 306C combo like you suggested, which amp can i use for the speakers? I think I'll need a 4 channel amp for that, right? Unless I power only the rear speakers and leave the front 4s as-is..nahh that doens't sound good.

- Aalaap
www.aalaap.com
Old 10th January 2006, 16:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

get the 504 for the front and rear. it runs about 5K. I find it a bit grainy so the next step up are the JBL 60.4 and Blau 470/480. The experts will prvide prices.
Old 10th January 2006, 20:47   #11
BHPian

I had a word with the guy at Auto King @ Shivaji Park (Rupesh) and he suggested the Sony 504 (Rs. 4,300) to be paired with a Pio 125. Now I can't seem to find any such "125" model on the Pioneer USA as well as Australia site. The closest I could find was a 124, and a TS-W125C/DVC in the "older models" section of the USA website. But that's a Premier series product so I really doubt that's the one he's selling me for Rs. 2,600.

Oh by the way since the Sony 504 (which im assuming is XM-504) is a 4-channel amp, he suggested that I drive the Pio 125 with two channels and my 6x9s with the other two channels, which sounds like a pretty good idea to me. He also suggested that the front 4-inchers should never be powered by an amp. This means I only need 1 amp instead of the ambitious 2 i was dreaming about.

Cables. He was giving me "monster cables" for Rs. 1250 but by that he just means "monster-like cables" that look all fat and sheiled but are nalla locals inside. Brands include Boss and "Chicago from Los Angeles, CA" which was hilarious. He said the next best option I have is a set of Streetwires for Rs. 3,800. For my setup, is it worth spending 3,800 on good quality wires or will the Chicago from LA ones made in China give me the same effect? Considering my setup isn't a very high end one.

He also told me about a certain interesting thing about the Pioneer 6x9s. He said that the main driver (the biggest one) is actually a 2 ohm subwoofer which needs a special type of "Y-cord" along with an amp to drive. If you directly hook it up to your speaker, it is only a passive speaker. I tried to search for "Y-cord" to find nothing and "Y Cord" turned up some very random results. If anyone can point me to a few threads where this has been discussed, I'd appreciate that.

Thankss...

- Aalaap
www.aalaap.com
Old 11th January 2006, 10:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap
I had a word with the guy at Auto King @ Shivaji Park (Rupesh) and he suggested the Sony 504 (Rs. 4,300) to be paired with a Pio 125.....He also suggested that the front 4-inchers should never be powered by an amp. This means I only need 1 amp instead of the ambitious 2 i was dreaming about.

Cables. ...He said the next best option I have is a set of Streetwires for Rs. 3,800..

He also told me about a certain interesting thing about the Pioneer 6x9s. He said that the main driver (the biggest one) is actually a 2 ohm subwoofer which needs a special type of "Y-cord" along with an amp to drive....www.aalaap.com
What is the Pio 125? a subwoofer? cant find it.

most speakers benefit from an amp even a 4" would. a dedicated amp can proovide better control of the speaker than a small chip amp in the HU that has to share it's PS with the rest of teh HU components.

Good cable will ensure that you dont have any hiss. Streetwires is adequate. Boss I hear is not.

What Y cord. most Y cords I know are that that allow one RCA output to connect to 2 RCA inputs. If might mean that the sub is 2 ohms but in reality has 2 4 ohm coils and he needs a wire to connect the sub to 2 channels of an amp. I think you have to ask him for more details on this part.
Old 12th January 2006, 13:19   #13
BHPian

Hmm.. I think I'm going to go with the "Pio 125" whatever that is because its the only Pio I can afford (2600) and the Sony 504 for the speakers + sub. Like navin mentioned the 4"s can also be powered by the amp, so later on I'll think about getting another 2-ch amp to drive the sub and then use the 504 to power the two sets of speakers entirely. Sounds good!

I'll ask this guy a bit more about the Y-cord bit. From what I remember, It should cost me upto a 1250 extra (for a Kicker y-cord) which will enhance the whole setup. I think. I'll go check.

BTW about the Pio 125 - he showed me a catalog that had a model number similar to TS30W or something of that sort, but he only showed me that for visual reference ("looks like this").

- Aalaap
www.aalaap.com
Old 12th January 2006, 14:03   #14
BHPian

I think with the setup that you are going in for, i suggest you opt for the sony 12 inch sub(dont remember the model number but it is 1300 watts pmpo). It sounds good mated to the 504 amp, much better than the pio 125. It looks stunning as well in red with pentagonal shape. My friend has it in his esteem and believe me it rocks. It cost him 3.5k which i guess is not bad at all for it.
cheers!
Old 19th January 2006, 21:23   #15
BANNED

How is the Sony XM504Z In-car Amplifier 4 Channel 500 watts? This auto shop in Andheri is offering it to be in the grey market for Rs. 4800. Is it worth it, or can I get a better price somewhere else?

Also how is the Blaupunkt GTb 300? same guy offered it for Rs. 4900 in grey.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks