Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2006, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Strange noise from speakers

So here is the story. There is some kind of crr crr sound from all four speakers when I use the horn. Otherwise there is no such sound. Anybody any ideas?

Thanks, Vivek
Old 15th January 2006, 18:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

check the wiring connecting your speakers.. if they are loose then the sound comes.. also are you running any amps.. loose wires connected to amps can also make that kind of sound... or worst the cone of your speaker is torn...
get them checked by a professional..
Old 15th January 2006, 23:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

1. all 4 speakers? u sure?
2. check one speaker at a time. one issue might be that the voice coil has gotten misaligned or you got dust in the voice coil gap.
Old 16th January 2006, 23:19   #4
BHPian

The noise comes from all four speakers. I checked all the speaker and amp connections. They all seem secure. As I said the noise comes only when I use the horn. If it was a case of loose connection, there would be problems even when I am not using the horn. I am beginning to feel this is some kind of ground problem.

The speakers are only about seven months old. I checked all cones and surrounds. There is no sign of damage.

Godfather, I don't want to sound rude but I prefer to solve the problem myself in true DIY spirit. This should not be a problem that we cannot sort out, particularly after having installed the system myself. So keep your suggestions coming.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 16th January 2006 at 23:26.
Old 16th January 2006, 23:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Yes, Navin. The noise comes from all four speakers. I checked all the speaker and amp connections. They all seem secure. As I said the noise comes only when I use the horn. Otherwise it is okay.

Godfather, the speakers are only about seven months old. I checked all cones and surrounds. There is no sign of damage.
Is this a Santro Xing? Try changing your horn, the noise is due to leakage.
Old 16th January 2006, 23:23   #6
BHPian

I too have a similar problem..but same type of sound comes when the volume is low,and I adjust the power external rear view mirrors !!..please advise possibilities..I don't know whether it's also coming from rear components,but front both component speakers emit that sound..
I just got the components fitted in recently,and have original Kicker RCA/Speaker wires..
please suggest possibilities.

-sr
Old 16th January 2006, 23:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Is this a Santro Xing? Try changing your horn, the noise is due to leakage.
Gunbir, I have an Alto. Leakage? Could you elaborate please?
Old 17th January 2006, 10:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[left]
They all seem secure. As I said the noise comes only when I use the horn. . So keep your suggestions coming.
Geez. i amd getting old I did not read this.

your horn relay is the culprit.

1. change horn relay
2. put cap across horn replay 1uf/63VDC will do
3. use an appropriate MOV (trial and error)

i had this in my contessa in 1989 but since then not seen this. gotta talk to ACMA. damn shoddy horn! can you find out who made the horn. there will be some specs on the horn or the relay.

sorry i did not read the part about the horn earlier.

Last edited by navin : 17th January 2006 at 10:50.
Old 17th January 2006, 11:50   #9
BHPian

I will check and let you know about the horn.
Old 18th January 2006, 12:57   #10
BHPian

hey people, i too faced to same problem. 4 days after i got my system installed, i starting getting this strange "errrr errrr" sound from my speakers at low volume (only from the speakers connected to the amp). In my system, this sound was produced due to the leakage of current in the head unit. May be the sound produced in your speakers is due to leakage of current in some other component (amp, headunit, wiring etc..).

I got the head unit checked, and the problem was solved by soldering the connectors of the headunit, where the speakers are connected.

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Old 19th January 2006, 13:49   #11
BHPian

Amit, the sound occurs when only when I use the horn. As I said earlier, if there was some leakage, loose connections or cold solder like you say the noise should be there all the time, don't you think?
Old 20th January 2006, 02:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit, the sound occurs when only when I use the horn. As I said earlier, if there was some leakage, loose connections or cold solder like you say the noise should be there all the time, don't you think?
Vivek, I have seen this before... check the horn...

It could be the horn relay. Disconnect the horns and then press the horn button, the relay is still working. If the noise remains, the relay is to blame. If it stops when you disconnect, its the horn.

Good cabling has rejection and is less prone to such issues. Usually our dealers just swap the BS interconnect with Audison ones and thats all it takes.
Old 20th January 2006, 15:34   #13
BHPian

There are some points here:
1. Let us assume that the horn/relay is faulty, the Maruti service will blame me since the car is still under warranty and I have installed the audio system myself.

2. Will that noise I get in the speakers affect my audio system in any way? I presume it will not.

3. Non audio question: For argument's sake, if I remove the audio system and take the car to the service station, there will be no noise naturally when the speakers/HU/amp are removed. How will I prove that the horn/relay is faulty?

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 20th January 2006 at 15:37.
Old 20th January 2006, 16:07   #14
BHPian

To add to my post no. 13, the horn is called Padmini and below it says loud. There is some sort of number which says E 11. Looks like some cheap horn.

Anyway, I disconnected the horn and there is no noise. So, it is indeed a 'horny' problem.
Old 20th January 2006, 16:32   #15
Team-BHP Support

try changing the horn vivek.

Last edited by navin : 20th January 2006 at 16:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks