Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 12:09   #31
NFS
BHPian

Re: Chennai : Nitrogen Filling Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Shanti petrol bunk near Airport charges 5 per tyre. And the BP bunk just before Shanti also charges 5 per tyre.

Any bunks that offer free Nitrogen for Filling fuel near tambaram??

I know there is one BP near kelambakkam that does free Nitrogen fill for fuel refill.
There is one at medavakkam. You need to fill fuel for 1000rs or more to get free Nitrogen, or pay 5/tyre. It is the first bunk on right side from medvakkam Jn towards Velachery...
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:41   #32
BHPian

I filled N2 at BP bunk, Mogappair road, opposite Cherian Hospital today at 5.30 pm.

One of the tyre had very low pressure, so after filling N2 took the car to XL tyre shop, mogappair to check air leak/puncture.

Checked N2 there and found 2 psi less in all tyres !!

N2 machine in XL tyre shop is brand new (one week old), so i assume the BP bunk machine could be faulty !
Old 27th July 2011, 12:26   #33
BHPian

I went and got refilled with Nitrogen at the same place and the same problem still existed.
The pressure limit control was not working and the guy who was filling had to approximately pull the tube connector off when the pressure hits 30psi.
He categorically told me that it will be Rs.40 for total fill and Rs.20 for refills, plus i can give him tip if i want.

I pulled out my camera and took a picture of the machine to post here.
This guys got really scared and he thought i am some kinda trouble for him and refused to take any money for the fill up.

Finally realized nitrogen did nothing in terms of ride quality/mileage/loss of pressure over time.
Switching back to AIR and gonna stop wasting my money.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai : Nitrogen Filling Stations-dsc01235.jpg  

Chennai : Nitrogen Filling Stations-dsc01234.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2011, 20:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

This nitrogen thing seems to be a rip off. 40-50Rs is standard everywhere. Also I recently checked the pressure just after filling at another place. 2 tyres were at 35psi and others were at 28psi. Looks like these machines are not calibrated properly.

I think I will shift back to air and keep checking every 10 days.

Edit: Will I have to deflate the tyres to revert to air?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd August 2011 at 20:53.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Well, I fill nitrogen for both my cars once a month at the BP outlet in Mogappair. All I give the guy there is the same tip I would if I were filling normal air. No rip-off for me. I spend Rs 10 for both cars. On the calibration, I agree that even am not so sure of the readings.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:07   #36
BHPian

i filled N2 in an Indian Oil pump opposite to the MIOT hospital nearing porur. but the tyre pressure was not constant at all. N2 is a rip off and waste. switched to AIR and everything is normal now
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
i filled N2 in an Indian Oil pump opposite to the MIOT hospital nearing porur. but the tyre pressure was not constant at all. N2 is a rip off and waste. switched to AIR and everything is normal now
Well its the same pump i was talking about. Their machine supposedly got damaged in the rain immediately after installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
This nitrogen thing seems to be a rip off. 40-50Rs is standard everywhere. Also I recently checked the pressure just after filling at another place. 2 tyres were at 35psi and others were at 28psi. Looks like these machines are not calibrated properly.

I think I will shift back to air and keep checking every 10 days.

Edit: Will I have to deflate the tyres to revert to air?
No i did not find any difference and there was no problem. just go ahead and top it up with AIR.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:49   #38
BHPian

i just topped the remaining N2 with AIR, i did not deflate the tyres. everything seems to be normal now. Do we need to deflate before filling AIR ?
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do we need to deflate before filling AIR ?
Scientifically i dont know if it has to be done that way. But air having its own mixture of nitrogen will only reduce the % of nitrogen in the already filled tyres. It should definitely not be a problem unless there is scientific proof that something went wrong.

I run on nitrogen and will continue to do so. Once in 2-3 months i refill and i pay 20bucks. So i am not sure if i will go back to Air any time soon.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
My friend did an alignment & balancing with this guy at Gowrivakkam. He was charged higher than the usual rates...
Not sure how much they charged your friend. They charged me Rs. 900 for wheel balancing (4 alloys) and alignment. Rs. 300 for wheel alignment and 150 for balancing each alloy wheel. The cost includes weights.

Lal charged me Rs. 950 for the same last time.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:18   #41
BHPian

There is one at the BP pump on GST road (between Radisson BLU and Trident). They charged Rs. 15/tyre for a first time fill (Rs. 10/tyre for refills). Service was good (especially if you tip him upfront )

It sometimes gets crowded there and a queue forms which can become very uncomfortable. Even though this station is one of the largest in area. Their positioning of the Nitrogen point is not so great. It's very near the regular air one.

I will comment further on tyre performance after about 15 days when I will complete my one month run.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
There is one at the BP pump on GST road (between Radisson BLU and Trident). They charged Rs. 15/tyre for a first time fill (Rs. 10/tyre for refills). Service was good (especially if you tip him upfront )

It sometimes gets crowded there and a queue forms which can become very uncomfortable. Even though this station is one of the largest in area. Their positioning of the Nitrogen point is not so great. It's very near the regular air one.

I will comment further on tyre performance after about 15 days when I will complete my one month run.
I fill my diesel there (ASM Abdul Kader and sons) but did not have good experience with filling nitrogen as the calibration of the pressure gauge seems to be off. It happened twice to me.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Ithe calibration of the pressure gauge seems to be off.
That's not nice to hear. When you mean "calibration was off" did you mean the result was an overfill or underfill?
Old 18th August 2011, 12:54   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

If one has to enjoy the benefits of Nitrogen, the tyres have to be deflated and all residual air removed ; Then fill N2.

If one has to switch from Nitrogen to Air, there's no need to deflate ; just top up

Air has 79%Nitrogen and rest oxygen
Old 19th August 2011, 09:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
That's not nice to hear. When you mean "calibration was off" did you mean the result was an overfill or underfill?
Yes. It was under-filled.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks