Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2006, 14:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

WagonR LPG: The next Indian Taxi?

News is that Maruti is too enthusiastic about plans on wagonR LPG. Starting June,they plan to produce 10,000 WagonR LPGs a year..

I wonder who are going to be the buyers of this car... the Taxi walas are known to be interested in cheaper fuels..so who knows, this might just be the next Cab on Indian roads.. WagonRCab

but will it actually make a good taxi? Because its a 4 seater, and a Taxi needs Space, more than anything else. (Although the boot is bigger than Indicab)..
Old 25th February 2006, 14:49   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
(Although the boot is bigger than Indicab)..
Where does the LPG go then?
Old 25th February 2006, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Maybe at the rooftop.. LOL
Old 25th February 2006, 14:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
if it going to be OEM, then the cyliner will take the place of fuel tank or somewhere near to it. it will definitely be not in the boot.
Old 25th February 2006, 15:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
I wonder who are going to be the buyers of WagonR LPG... the Taxi walas are known to be interested in cheaper fuels..so who knows, this might just be the next Cab on Indian roads.. WagonRCab

but will it actually make a good taxi? Because its a 4 seater, and a Taxi needs Space, more than anything else. (Although the boot is bigger than Indicab)..
Personally, I dont think dat wagonr deserves 2 be the next Indian taxi simply bcoz da mindset of a typical indian cabbie is that his cab should be spacious, low on maintenance (by low maintenance, i mean cheap spares), rugged in terms of ride and feel and i guess dat it is only indicab which fullfills most of the requirements. Proof is da large number of tourist taxis and the cool cabs running in Mumbai and also on da Mumbai-Pune route.

Note From Moderator - Hi, please take some time to type complete words instead of dis, dat and da other.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th February 2006 at 22:00.
Old 25th February 2006, 16:04   #6
BHPian

The petrol tank would be reduced to 10 Litres and an extra LPG tank would be fitted .....This is what Suzuki did to their Omni LPG..... OMNI LPG still has a Carb engine but petrol OMNI has MPFI. We will wait and see what engine would Suzuki put in WagonR LPG
Old 25th February 2006, 16:10   #7
BHPian

WagonR has great potential for a cab becuse in most of the indicabs that i see on roads there are only 2 people at the rear,maintainence i am sure will be less than the indica.Boot is pretty big for a car of its size.
Who knows maruti might launch a special version of the wagonR with a bench at the rear!!!
but i dont think the car will be able to do highway duty as it feels unsafe at anything more than 90,not that the indicas are any safer!!
Old 25th February 2006, 16:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1
Personally, I dont think dat wagonr deserves 2 be the next Indian taxi simply bcoz da mindset of a typical indian cabbie is that his cab should be spacious, low on maintenance (by low maintenance, i mean cheap spares), rugged in terms of ride and feel and i guess dat it is only indicab which fullfills most of the requirements. Proof is da large number of tourist taxis and the cool cabs running in Mumbai and also on da Mumbai-Pune route.
I think it is rugged in terms of ride and feel, not exactly in the same league as Indica, but definitly better than some of its competitors.. and Omni. Low maintanance and cheap spares are Forte of Maruti.. so there should not be to much worry here.
Old 25th February 2006, 21:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Another reason the Indica does well is cos its a Diesel and hence is used in long distance runs where LPG/CNG isnt available
Old 25th February 2006, 23:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
if it going to be OEM, then the cyliner will take the place of fuel tank or somewhere near to it. it will definitely be not in the boot.
the car will be running on 2 fuels petrol and lpg ,so it can replace the petrol tank,and even if does its a unsafe location for a gas tank.
Old 25th February 2006, 23:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

The LPG cylinder is definitly located in the Boot. WagonR LPG Primea was on display at the Auto Expo.

Last edited by DCEite : 25th February 2006 at 23:32.
Old 25th February 2006, 23:32   #12

An LPG car is not just cheaper to run..it's a very practical solution with no compromise on power, safety, perfomance of the vehicle and contrary to the myths, it increases the engine life by twice !! Thus any LPG .car makes a very sane choice for the user (not just the taki/cab) and society cos it helps protect our environment for our future .

In Europe & Australia, some govts. have also imposed a rule which permits cars above certain CC to enter city limits only if they are on LPG/CNG. In UK, the Govt. gives road tax subsidy to car owners converting to LPG ! Anybody listening in India ??????
Old 26th February 2006, 02:30   #13
BHPian

I wonder if it wil do well with taxi wallas. The omni with lpg is much cheaper making it a better option for the taxi guys. Compared with the Indica, i think the indica is more rugged to go through the rigours of the taxi fleets and of course, it runs on diesel which is widely available and has a long lasting engine.
Old 26th February 2006, 09:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

IMO the wagonR LPG will be a big success if LPG is easily available in most of the petrol stations.
In hyderabad as far as I know there are only 3 or 4 petrol stations selling LPG
Old 27th February 2006, 12:10   #15
BHPian

Recently took a ride from the airport in an LPG(or was it CNG) fitted Omni - there is a lot of space in the rear apart from the cylinder for two large suitcases + some bags.
Also, the seats in the centre were large (I could stretch my legs further than in an Indica !!) and the ride was decently comfortable - at least a far cry from older omnis.

But when I compare a 2L Omni to a 3-4L WagonR, the VFM for a taxi seems to be lost.
In an Omni, you get loads of space and good seating, and perhaps better FE.
In a Wagon-R, you get good build quality and better safety and perhaps more powerful engine.
And I dont think our cabbies care two bits about the latter, but indivduals do.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks