Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 17:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Jugaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Guys in NCR must have noticed another small jugaad.

It is a luggage carrier cycle rickshaw (not people mover), with the person having a scooter body at front.

Can be seen in East Delhi and Tis Hazari etc, will click & upload pics next time I see them.
These are very popular with the LPG distributers in Delhi/ NCR.

Not seen any in Mumbai / Navi Mumbai till date where the poor guys have to pedal the heavy load.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:48   #47
BHPian

Looking at these reminds me of a program called "Junkyard Wars" that used to air on Discovery Channel. Loved that show for the sheer creativity and out of the box thinking of some teams!

Does any one have links / videos of that show ?
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 04:57   #48
BHPian

I have a funny story about the chakda from my days at ARAI!

Around 2003-4 there was some chakda manufactures actually trying to get one homologated by ARAI ! (Don't know whether they eventually got it)

We were at VRDE Ahmednagar and the Chakda showed up for 15% gradient test with GVW.

After several attempts the chakda did not climb the gradient in 1st gear ! When the ARAI engineers asked them to work on it and come back later, the Chakda guys asked for another attempt!

They got that attempt and passed the gradient in reverse gear going up backwards much to the amusement of the engineers ! I guess that time the rule book did not specify forward gears only etc !
Rash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 20:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Here is the rickshaw jugaad I was talking about. It was standing next to me. Couldn't click full view picture

The Jugaad-image2827537687.jpg
tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 01:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Looking at these reminds me of a program called "Junkyard Wars" that used to air on Discovery Channel. Loved that show for the sheer creativity and out of the box thinking of some teams!

Does any one have links / videos of that show ?
I believe this show still runs on discovery channel. I remember seeing it during the early mornings very recently. And yes, I agree the sheer innovation to build something from scrap is amusing to say the least.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 16:42   #51
BHPian

Ask me. Have used the services of jugaad and ganesh for 4 yrs during engineering atleast once every week. The best seat on a ganesh was the roof, even during bum frying summers. Per sq ft seating capacity of jugaad/ganesh beat even the local minni buses built on the 407 platform. On many occasions i have seen jugaad being used as a pumpset too and i will not be surprised if the use it to run a flour mill. Will try to get a fun ride on these when i visit NCR.
Old 21st March 2012, 20:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Here is the rickshaw jugaad...
A couple more of not so good pics of the rickshaw jugaad. This is more prevalent in the urban areas, whereas the 4-wheeled jugaad is more prevalent in the rural & semi-urban areas.

The Jugaad-dsc_0287.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc_0288.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post
After several attempts the chakda did not climb the gradient in 1st gear ! When the ARAI engineers asked them to work on it and come back later, the Chakda guys asked for another attempt!

They got that attempt and passed the gradient in reverse gear going up backwards much to the amusement of the engineers ! I guess that time the rule book did not specify forward gears only etc !
I almost fell down from my chair reading this. Rule books are for finding ways out of it And they did find a way out.

Hopefully ARAI has amended the rule book and doesnt give permissions to legaly manufature these.

I have never seen any regn plate on any Chhakdas. Why nobody wants to take any action banning these? Vote bank ? Give n Take?
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We were at VRDE Ahmednagar and the Chakda showed up for 15% gradient test with GVW.
Slightly OT-

Really funny incident.

Wonder why they went for the 15 degree gradient and not 7 degree.

Quote:
Quoting from AIS 003 "The vehicle shall be started from neutral gear position with engagement of the lowest gear (i.e. the gear with highest numerical reduction ratio)."

I doubt if there has been any amendment recently for Gradeability tests.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Slightly OT-

Really funny incident.

Wonder why they went for the 15 degree gradient and not 7 degree.

Quoting from AIS 003 "The vehicle shall be started from neutral gear position with engagement of the lowest gear (i.e. the gear with highest numerical reduction ratio)."

I doubt if there has been any amendment recently for Gradeability tests.

Spike
In this case the reverse would have been "the gear with highest numerical reduction ratio". It did not specify forward or reverse.
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:08   #56
BHPian

OMG !! I have never ever seen any such thing in my part of the country - South India. This is improvisation at its best. Thanks for sharing.
Old 23rd March 2012, 01:06   #57
BHPian

Had been to Gujarat during my college days a few years back. Had an opportunity to experience a ride in this Chakda.

Believe me its one of a kind experience. Gujarat being popular for good roads the ride was real smooth and since we were all a group of friends, we were really enjoying the open air ride and the speed

It happens only in India

Cheers to this thread.
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:09   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I have a funny story about the chakda from my days at ARAI!

Around 2003-4 there was some chakda manufactures actually trying to get one homologated by ARAI ! (Don't know whether they eventually got it)

WoW. And are two emotions that came to my mind. First, wow, because the Chakda manufactureres actually thought they could do this! And OMG, because well, they did a 'Jugaad test' on the Jugaad!
Old 23rd March 2012, 22:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

here are some pic's of Multi-crop Threshers mounted on various vehicles.

these are mostly found in Western Maharashtra & some parts of Marathwada.

mm 650 chassis
The Jugaad-dsc05960.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc05961.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc05962.jpg
mm 540 4x4 chassis
The Jugaad-dsc02454.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc02455.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc02456.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc02457.jpg

& my favorite force traxx
with tubeler chassis, a good looking front end, independent suspension with anti-roll bar , disc brakes.
The Jugaad-dsc00560.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00561.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00565.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00566.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00567.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00572.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00573.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00574.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00575.jpg

The Jugaad-dsc00577.jpg
rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 09:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Another similar implementation is Bhat Suar. Its usually found in Bhopal, Gwalior and parts of Chattisgarh (Raipur, Durg and Bhilai). They are bone rattlers and from front look like a Pig. They usually have a handle like gear lever to change gears. If i remember it correctly it has only 3 forward and 1 reverse gear.

This is better then Auto as it can ferry more passengers around, another variation of this is to ferry goods and farm produce around by removing the seats at the back.
These are not exactly jugaads but properly manufactured vehicles (I dont think they are in production any longer, killed by the more efficiant tempos) quie popular in UP also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo_(car)

Last edited by m_upreti : 24th March 2012 at 09:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks