Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 11:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Xenon Pick-Up Range Launched @ 5.44 Lakhs

Xenon crew cab has 3.0 L DICOR engine which is BSIII compliant and was earlier used in TATA Safari. Why not they upgrade it to BSIV compliant so that it can be registered everywhere and perhaps may be more efficient. For Metro Tata has launched BSIV compliant pick up but that is with fixed geomatry turbo and gives output of just 85 PS.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Basically 3.0L Dicor BSIII means registration everywhere except the four metros. Right ?

So a common punter from any town or village in India can get this Xenon lookalike with 113 bhp and a white plate instead of a yellow plate, if I am not mistaken. Provided he is satisfied with the ride quality.

Last edited by lurker : 10th September 2012 at 12:01.
Old 10th September 2012, 13:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Can this be a good tourer? Never driven a pickup, so not sure about the driving fatigue and stuff. The dynamics would sure be different from an SUV considering most of the weight here lies upfront.

Does this have a website yet? I couldn't find it either in commercial or passenger segment.

PS: That blue shade is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Going by my td of the xt,its amazing on the road. pulls away cleanly,interiors are comfortable(only front).
dynamics feel like a more planted innova,know what i mean?
rear bench is the worst place in the world for any reasonable distance.
and boy does it part the road. its about as big as a q7,and people can see it,quite well.....
I drive a pickup as my daily drive. Even though I did TD the Xenon before settling on my Getaway, over a period of time I have come to like it. The major drawback of the Xenon is the low driver seating position and the very little rear seat leg room. Apart from that its a pretty good TATA vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Basically 3.0L Dicor BSIII means registration everywhere except the four metros. Right ?

So a common punter from any town or village in India can get this Xenon lookalike with 113 bhp and a white plate instead of a yellow plate, if I am not mistaken. Provided he is satisfied with the ride quality.
BS-III means it cannot be registered in 11 cities and not just 4 metros. However you need to check out if TML has got the white board passing in the respective states.

Has anyone booked/bought it yet? I find the value proposition for the Crew Cab quite appealing and I foresee a lot of Bolero Camper crew cab fellows to opt for it.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I drive a pickup as my daily drive. Even though I did TD the Xenon before settling on my Getaway, over a period of time I have come to like it. The major drawback of the Xenon is the low driver seating position and the very little rear seat leg room. Apart from that its a pretty good TATA vehicle

BS-III means it cannot be registered in 11 cities and not just 4 metros. However you need to check out if TML has got the white board passing in the respective states.

Has anyone booked/bought it yet? I find the value proposition for the Crew Cab quite appealing and I foresee a lot of Bolero Camper crew cab fellows to opt for it.
Agree with you on the rear seat space. They had a lot of space to work with, don't understand why they didn't extend the cab a bit more. The value proposition is seriously hard to ignore, if you are looking for a long distance tourer. But, BS-3 means it can't be registered in most of the big cities. This will hamper its sales which could have been good otherwise.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hello team,

Can anyone update if this vehicle could be bought with "white plates"? I saw one with yellow plates and it looked stunning.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:39   #36
KMT
BHPian

Hi Amtak
I have been on a wild goose chase trying to find the same detail.
The Tata dealers I have called are all clueless and disinterested.
Apparently it depends on each states RTO whether it can be regd as a white or yellow board.

In Karnataka the only pickups that can be regd as a whiteboard is the Xenon XT & Scorpio Getaway.
All M&M pickups incl dual cab Xylo pickup and Bolero Pickups are yellow board only.
KMT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 12:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post

In Karnataka the only pickups that can be regd as a whiteboard is the Xenon XT & Scorpio Getaway.
All M&M pickups incl dual cab Xylo pickup and Bolero Pickups are yellow board only.
Exactly the same case in Andhra Pradesh as well.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 13:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Can't the yellow board registered Xenon be used for solely personal usage? What are the disadvantages of it compared to a white board registered vehicle?
Old 18th September 2012, 13:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hello team,

Can anyone update if this vehicle could be bought with "white plates"? I saw one with yellow plates and it looked stunning.
Then I think should look at Xenon XT. It has the DICOR engine.

As far as I know, the cargo capacity of XT is mentioned as 250 kg. Since the cargo capacity is lesser than the weight of humans it can carry (5 people with average 68 kg weight), it can be registered with white board.

You also have an option for 4 wheel drive in XT.
Old 18th September 2012, 14:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Then I think should look at Xenon XT. It has the DICOR engine.

As far as I know, the cargo capacity of XT is mentioned as 250 kg. Since the cargo capacity is lesser than the weight of humans it can carry (5 people with average 68 kg weight), it can be registered with white board.

You also have an option for 4 wheel drive in XT.
Hi Rohan,

I have no plans to go offroad. The only reason why I would buy a Xenon is for it looks and sheer size; plus it is a disaster in terms of resale value; hence the Crewcab version.
Old 18th September 2012, 15:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Can't the yellow board registered Xenon be used for solely personal usage? What are the disadvantages of it compared to a white board registered vehicle?
A yellow plate vehicle is subject to checks and harassment at every Octroi checkpoint and/or RTA checkpoint. On a Toll road, you will have to pay the toll for a goods vehicle, which is approximately twice as much as that of a car.

While driving from Noida to Hyderabad recently in a Xenon, toll booth assistants at a few places demanded that I pay the goods vehicle rates and refused to relent no matter what. Eventually, I either had to show them the car's registration certificate or escalate to their supervisors to get things right.

My Xenon's (AP) registration lists the vehicle class as 'Motor Car' and the type of body as 'Sedan'.
airfoil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 15:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Yes you can. No stopping from that. Except that you'll face the following issues:
  1. Pay road tax every year
  2. get fitness every few years
  3. On the highway you'll have to pay commercial vehicle toll
  4. You just can't go off to another state. You'll have to have permit and then pay each state entry fee. This is expensive
  5. Continuous target of traffic cops on city roads.
Overall too much of an headache.
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 20:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just saw this yesterday.

Wasnt there a thread for this elsewhere?
Its still BS3, and it has that 3L "gem".
It seems XT is still the only option for us guys.....:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
The picture in Mayankk's post looks like its atleast an year old.

Is this a relaunch? I have been spotting the single cab version with numerous types of bodies built on it on the highways of Haryana Rajasthan and Punjab since at least past 7-8 months now. This vehicle is already on road.

The Dual cab version if available with 4X4 will be a killer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Xenon Pickup is supposed to be the replacement of TATA 207 and the RX series. I think thats what you guys must be seeing.
Mayankk & Vinayrathore The vehicle you have seen in Delhi/Ncr is Tata Xenon CNG. It has been around for more than a year. It was a failure because it runs only on CNG & not on a any other fuel like petrol for backup. It was popular in Thailand however It is not available at the COMPANY OUTLET in Delhi, it can be sourced on order. You may refer the link for Specs.

http://www.pickups.tatamotors.com/xenon-cng.html

The Xenon Diesel variant is a good step from Tata to capture Mahindra's pickup market. I was told by someone internal source in Tata that they are trying for a BSIV model for cities (Gurgaon, Faridabad & Noida) which allow Diesel pickup's. This is what we may see in December.

These vehicle's are made to be registered in commercial yellow plates, however they can be registered on private number in a company's name. I have seen Mahindra Genio double cab registered with private numbers in Gurgaon by a Battery supplier. These guys have a huge jack in Haryana Transport & were not ready to share the source. If someones knows how to get it done, do let know. I am also looking for pickup to be registered as private number.

Thanks Guys to start this thread, I am sure this would help all of us.

Regards
Harneet Barmy
+91-9810015831
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Please read my comments here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2921909 before you decide to buy the Xenon or any other pickup truck for private use.

Cheers
Old 16th May 2013, 19:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

have they changed the dashboard design recently? I was looking Xenon photos on google and found this. a refreshed dashboard of Xenon. do we get the same in india? attaching photo of the old dashboard too. notice the new one gets new steering wheel(seems high quality) new MID above the AC vents and new AC controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon Pick-Up Range Launched @ 5.44 Lakhs-img0267fx.jpg  

Tata Xenon Pick-Up Range Launched @ 5.44 Lakhs-5.jpg  

Tata Xenon Pick-Up Range Launched @ 5.44 Lakhs-tataxenonpickup2012interior.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks