Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 15:34   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: JNNURM Buses Phase 2 - A fresh breath of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

Regarding non-AC buses skipping stops, yes I have seen this umpteen times near my bus stop, Elangulam near Kadavanthra even though the buses had seating available.

Also the interior quality of these non-AC buses are horrible that some old trucks rattle much lesser.
You said it. The authorities should come forward and see that this is rectified. AFAIK, the red killers are a menace to all other motorists. Authorities should introduce more JNNURM buses. If maintained properly, I dont find any reason for them to stay off the road. But I know this wont happen here in Kerala. Dont know whether the state is heading to - Introduce more vehicles (autos) when there are no roads, build flyovers where it's not needed and allow red killers to do all sorts of things on the road.

OT - where do you stay in Elamkulam? BTW, my house is there too. PM the details.
Old 28th February 2013, 12:20   #32
BHPian

Rs 14,873 crore for JNNURM for urban transportation in 2013-14 against Rs 7,880 crore in the current fiscal, says FM.

Source: Rediff budget updates.
Old 28th February 2013, 21:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Rs 14,873 crore for JNNURM for urban transportation in 2013-14 against Rs 7,880 crore in the current fiscal, says FM.

Source: Rediff budget updates.
This has reflected in share price also.
Quote:
Shares of two major listed bus makers -- Tata MotorsBSE 0.49 % and Ashok LeylandBSE -2.42 % -- were the top gainers in the auto sector on Thursday after Finance Minister P Chidambaram announced purchase of 10,000 buses under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).

The finance ministry has allocated Rs 14,873 crore to JNNURM.

At 11:50 am, the shares of Ashok Leyland were up 1.76 per cent and Tata Motors were up 1.03 per cent on the BSE
Source
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:23   #34
BANNED

Tata Motors has received orders for over 2,700 'urban' buses under the JNNURM - II scheme.

Quote:
The company had received an order from KSRTC (Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation) to supply 487 buses and another for 780 buses from HRTC (Himachal Road Transport Corporation) for Tata Marcopolo built buses as per Urban Bus Specifications under JNNURM - II scheme.

These orders are part of the over 2,700 orders for Tata Motors buses received under the scheme, it added.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/41529365.cms

Anurag.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/210152.html

With Ashokleyland receiving orders for 4000 numbers, it has emerged successfully as a winner in JNnurm. It's to be noted that the deciding factor for tender is not just initial pricing but also depends on maintenance cost, AMC etc. During last JNnurm these clauses were not a part of tender and Tata took complete advantage of it. With oil change interval of just 9000 Kms (13.5 lts sump capacity) oil kmpl was high and it increased the maintenance cost substantially. Now thanks to the clause and also Tata has increased to 20k for city application but still it's far less than competition.

Another big gainer is Volvo as they are the monopoly in this segment and their lobby ensured a good portion of buses to be procured as premium buses.

Somehow, we are happy to receive another brand new set of buses.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 15:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I was perplexed to see JnNurm volvos in bangalore and JnNurm express type boxy useless buses in hyderabad.
Yes, completely agree with you. You can easily differentiate between Volvo and Marco Polo buses. Its total pleasure to travel in Volvo which are running in Bangalore, power and comfort is totally in different league.

When i see these Marco polo's in Hyderabad, i pity on drivers and passengers who travel in it, passengers will surely be shocked by level and comfort and ease in it Volvo goes in Bangalore. Its much slower than ordinary buses. I have seen it breaking down in when going up-hill in front of Microsoft many-times. Also i have seen many of these Marco polo's running as non-AC after fitting them with regular windows, but still AC sitting on top of bus.
Old 1st October 2014, 17:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

To me all these low floor buses even in Metro's do not make any sense what so ever. The road and accompanying infrastructure just isnt good enough. Have you looked at the condition of these buses in Delhi?
Unless we have regulation on the height of footpaths, speed breakers and quality construction of road infrastructure, all this remains a hog wash. Another way to waste tax payers money.
Old 1st October 2014, 21:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
To me all these low floor buses even in Metro's do not make any sense what so ever. The road and accompanying infrastructure just isnt good enough. Have you looked at the condition of these buses in Delhi?
Unless we have regulation on the height of footpaths, speed breakers and quality construction of road infrastructure, all this remains a hog wash. Another way to waste tax payers money.
I am in total agreement with you. My native place, Thrissur, the state transport had plans to launch the low floors and after a few trial runs the idea was scrapped. And they did the worst thing as an alternative. They converted it into intercity routes, between Thrissur and Calicut. I mean these buses are meant for short duration trips, max of an hour. Now I think they dropped the entire idea and is servicing only in Ernakulam and Trivandrum. I think.

Note from Support: Post edited. Please make an effort to type names beginning with capital letters to improve readability. Thanks!
Old 6th October 2014, 11:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
My native place, Thrissur, the state transport had plans to launch the low floors and after a few trial runs the idea was scrapped. And they did the worst thing as an alternative. They converted it into intercity routes, between Thrissur and Calicut. I mean these buses are meant for short duration trips, max of an hour. Now I think they dropped the entire idea and is servicing only in Ernakulam and Trivandrum.
Not sure if you know, KSRTC still runs a Volvo low-floor bus from Tvm to Ekm and back. Earlier, the Ekm depot also used to run such services, but there was a case filed in the Hon. High Court that the buses procured under the JnNURM scheme should be run only in city limits, and never beyond, but the corporation is using these buses for intercity routes. The case was filed only against the Kochi corporation, hence Tvm depot still continues to run the low-floor bus.

FYI, Thrissur and Palakkad belong to one of the clusters identified in JnNURM-2, which would be getting AC and non-AC low-floor buses.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 14:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Not sure if you know, KSRTC still runs a Volvo low-floor bus from Tvm to Ekm and back. Earlier, the Ekm depot also used to run such services, but there was a case filed in the Hon. High Court that the buses procured under the JnNURM scheme should be run only in city limits, and never beyond, but the corporation is using these buses for intercity routes. The case was filed only against the Kochi corporation, hence Tvm depot still continues to run the low-floor bus.

FYI, Thrissur and Palakkad belong to one of the clusters identified in JnNURM-2, which would be getting AC and non-AC low-floor buses.
Well i didnt know that they still run these low floors in intercity routes, all I am saying is that the upright posture of these buses are not that comfortable when travelling intercity. A more slanting posture is always welcomed. But that is just me. Not sure about the rest.

And the locations where the low floors had troubles have been solved and now I am sure that if they restart the service it will run smoothly. But the various city infrastructure projects ( for eg: the plans to not the let the regular route buses enter the city and rather the intercity buses connect the various bus stands, a flyover through the east fort, etc ) all have been put hold for an indefinite period. What I am suggesting is that without the proper guidance and planning of the city, all this will do is add more vehicles to the chaos.
Old 6th October 2014, 16:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
They still do. The TVM (Eanchakkal) depot run these buses and one of them is a 6 AM departure from Ernakulam which turns up around 6.30 or so at the Mobility hub. I used this on a trip to Kollam two months back . It took 3 hours and 45 minutes to Kollam but that was due to the "Bali Tharpanam" going on that day all over the state. Not too many end to end (EKM to TVM) passengers though. There was one break at Kayamkulam bus station. Fare was quite high , but for travel by bus it is still the best option on the route although the Guruvayur Trivandrum Intercity leaves Ernakulam at almost the same time and reaches Trivandrum, quicker and the AC Chair Car on that train is a more convenient option if you can plan your journey.

Also one more case of lousy scheduling is the JnURM services from Kochi Airport. The biggest beneficiaries of this service in my opinion are the foreign backpackers staying at Fort Kochi who happily pay the 100 Rupees or or so fare ( prepaid non AC taxi fare is 1000 Rs) and ride in royal confort. With a very few exceptions most of these buses do not touch any railway station including Aluva , Ernakulam North or South thereby denying the benefit to a lot of Indian travellers (both domestic and international) who are foced to shell out an exhorbitant 462 Rs to Aluva or even the much nearer Ankamaly railway stations because the airport taxis operate on a minimum fare basis. Autos are not officially allowed inside the airport premises due to as I understand some court verdict in the taxi driver union's favor and while if you are lucky you can flag down an auto dropping off passengers, you cannout count on it. At the very least KeSRTC should ensure that these Volvos run via Alwaye railway station so that lot more ordinary people can benefit. And before I forget, KeSRTC also runs a lot oif "ordinary services" from the airport , but how anyone with more than a backpack can travel in one of these is a mystery known only to the KeSRTC administration.

Kochi Airport is a good one (and I mean it) but they are not going to win any awards for "Go Green" initiatives any time soon. It is a sad state of afairs that an airport where a lot of ordinary NRIs (and not just the tycoons) have small share holdings in the airport, the airport is so unfriendly to the needs of most of their stake holders. If JnURM cannot do the job, the airport company (which is a profitable venture) can run shuttle services to the local railways stations at Aluva and Ankamaly on their own . But then all of us familiar with Kerala knows the answer to that . The taxi guys will never allow it. Such a shmae on an otherwise wonderful airport experience.

Last edited by TKMCE : 6th October 2014 at 17:19.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 21:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

UD which was a large japanese bus manufacturer known for boxy looking but comfortable, reliable and simple to maintain buses has been taken over by Volvo.
UD is to start manufacture in India too, and as a set name in south asia and Japan they will be a strong contender here.

Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks