Compartment Sleeper 8 8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 15:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Best Inter-City Bus Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
I don't sleep while traveling, so in a way sleepers are useless to me.
And thanks to my built, people are uncomfortable sitting beside me in a 2 X 2 Push Back format.

Actually, I never use the 'Push Back' function. It is always a 'sit upright' position for me....
Abhijeet, then how do you manage your work after the overnight travel?
I guess you are the perfect person to write the overnight travel review with timing. I actually dose off immediately after departure. I even don't get down or will not be aware of the night fuel filling / breaks etc.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Aha! I have an issue of not able to sleep unless I lay on my stomach. I just cannot go to deep sleep if I lie on my back. I'm sure to wake up every now and then. Have been trying to sleep on my back at home too, but no avail. And no sleep means my next day is a goner.

So sleeper it is. Any kind.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2
Abhijeet, then how do you manage your work after the overnight travel?
I guess you are the perfect person to write the overnight travel review with timing. I actually dose off immediately after departure. I even don't get down or will not be aware of the night fuel filling / breaks etc.
Ashley:
Most of the times, I am beside the driver. So I keep a log of stage timings in PNQ-BLR route. I travel on that route once a month.
I prepare myself for night ride by eating very little.. Maybe only a couple of chocolates. I choose the service such that I start from PUNE around 4 pm and reach BLR by 6 am. I then sleep for couple of hours at the hotel and get ready for work by 10.30 am. Most of my work is associated with government officials. So 10.30 is not that way late :-)

I will post my detailed review as soon as possible.
Cheers
Abhijeet.

Last edited by coriollis : 22nd November 2012 at 10:47.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:56   #19
BHPian

I have travelled in 2x1 double deckers between KL and Singapore a number of times ... and overall it was pretty comfortable.

In EU 2x2 single deck buses are most common - and frankly the experience was nowhere as comfortable. Space gets more complicated due to number of winter clothing on everyone and large shoes.
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:40   #20
BHPian

The other possible configuration that we could consider is 2x2 staggered seating where the aisle seat is 100mm ahead of the window seat. This has could give more shoulder room for both passengers. Also access to the aisle for the window passenger could be easier. And of course the passenger on the aisle has a better view from the window.

Let me know what you think of this
tatsago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:11   #21
BHPian

I used to prefer sleeper buses because to me, most other configurations gift a back & neck pain when getting up after an overnight journey. Even multiAxle buses are no exception.
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsago View Post
The other possible configuration that we could consider is 2x2 staggered seating where the aisle seat is 100mm ahead of the window seat. This has could give more shoulder room for both passengers. Also access to the aisle for the window passenger could be easier. And of course the passenger on the aisle has a better view from the window.

Let me know what you think of this
Wouldn't it fit less number of seats?
Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers.
Abhijeet.
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:43   #23
BHPian

Voted for 2X1 push-back. Sleepers feel too claustrophobic, mix and match of sleeper with seater is equally terrible. 2X2 push-back seems too cramped for shoulder room.

I've travelled a fair bit in all formats except the train like config and the 2X1 push-back. I've found 2X2 push-back as the most comfortable and practical configuration.
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:27   #24
BHPian

I have never been comfortable traveling in a Push-Back (Airavath) or Semi-Sleeper Push Back (KPN). I can do a day-journey in a Push-Back bus but a night journey gets very tedious since i just can't sleep. I have done 3-4 trips to Goa in a Sleeper Bus (Paulo) and the minute i lied down, i was sound asleep. Even the ghat sections didn't wake me up. But hey that's just me. Looks like 2x1 Semi-Sleeper would be a better option considering the majority.
Old 23rd November 2012, 22:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Wouldn't it fit less number of seats?
Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers.
Abhijeet.
It would be the same number of seats, the only advantage is that passengers do not sit shoulder to shoulder.
Old 23rd November 2012, 22:16   #26
BHPian

Since i never slept while traveling, i always preferred semi-sleepers like Volvo compared to full-fledged sleepers which are usually built on a chassis.
Even if i travel upto 500 kms in bus, such as Hyd-Chennai and Hyd- Bangalore, I always preferred semi-sleepers Volvos.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Arguably the best Bus seat in India. Its from HARITA, and its a 2x1 with calf support. Main issue is it needs 1000mm for itself and many operators tend to compensate on that and cramp the seating, especially the leg space

Nothing the Government can do, because some of them are known to re-arrange the seating after registration
Attached Thumbnails
The Best Inter-City Bus Configuration-201207210237355.jpg  

TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 19:05   #28
RGK
Senior - BHPian

My vote is 2X2 for better and even load across the chassis.

In TN, the seating configuration is done based on the demand on the route (eg: Trichy - Chennai, Coimbatore - Chennai etc) as the Quarterly road tax payment is based on the number of seats.

Regarding comfortable travel, it purely depends on the quality of the road and the ability of the driver. A driver known to me always say, " Expert driving is something that even the shoulders of passengers sitting nearby should not rub each other".

The best of sleepers would become a nightmare journey, if the driver spoils the party with rash driving.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:39   #29
BHPian

My vote went for 2x1 push back seats. I think thats the third image that you have in your first post. Those look super luzurious. The ones that you have posted above with calf support are also great. The sleeper combination is very uncomfortable. I recently travelled to Indore and back from Mumbai on a Hans Volvo with 2x1 sleeper combination (lower and upper both). It was really very uncomfortable. Then I thought 2x1 push back or semi sleeper seats make more sense in terms of comfort.
Old 27th November 2012, 17:13   #30
BHPian

my vote was for 2x1 Seater cum Sleeper. recently i traveled palakkad chennai by bus, to chennai it was by a 2X1 sleeper and returned back in a 2X2 semi sleeper. even though the semi sleeper was a mercedes i felt the sleeper bus as a better choice.

Most Viewed