Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 12:09   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Has anyone driven a Truck,Bus etc.

I have driven the following trucks
AMW : Entire range
TATA : 2516TP, 3118

LCV
TATA 407, Force Excel, Eicher Canter 10.75 (not sure about the variant), TATA Ace

Bus
Kinglong (no idea on the model)
Old 16th April 2011, 13:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

I have driven a few CVs, all in the Tata range though and all for very very short durations. Tata Ace, Tata Magic, Tata SFC 1613 and Tata 4018 are the ones driven by me. The 1613 was in chassis only form and the 4018 had no trailor attached to it.

But I have had the experience of sitting in quite a wide variety of Tata trucks, the most exciting would be a Tata Prima 4928S and a Tata 3142 8x8 HMV.
Old 16th April 2011, 13:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I have driven a few CVs, all in the Tata range though and all for very very short durations. Tata Ace, Tata Magic, Tata SFC 1613 and Tata 4018 are the ones driven by me. The 1613 was in chassis only form and the 4018 had no trailor attached to it.

But I have had the experience of sitting in quite a wide variety of Tata trucks, the most exciting would be a Tata Prima 4928S and a Tata 3142 8x8 HMV.
Hi Julupani,

Can you give a short review of the Prima? And if possible how does it compare to a Volvo?

Secondly, what is 3142 HMV? The hummer type military vehicle being produced by Tata Motors? If yes, what is the status of the product now? and what do you think of its capabilities?
Old 16th April 2011, 15:01   #49
BHPian

I used to drive our own Local line bus, in Sundays and public holidays(when driver on leave). But, I am not very much interested in driving heavy vehicles.
Old 16th April 2011, 15:55   #50
BHPian

Once on a school trip to Jaipur, drove a fully loaded DCM-Toyota school bus for about 40Kms. It was awesome, when compared to the Hatches, Sedans & Suv's we drive regularly.

Long time wish is to drive a fully loaded Volvo tractor-trailer.
Old 16th April 2011, 20:12   #51
BHPian

Eicher 10.90 truck, Farm tractors of Mahindra, Ferguson with trailors- it was real tough to take a reverse, never got them right in first attempt! does Jcb's count? 530 loader 4x4, 4 speed
Old 16th April 2011, 23:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Had a wonderful experience driving a Mercedes-Benz Actros tractor-trailer in the UK around a company's yard. Driving a tractor-trailer is worlds apart and the tricky bit? Reversing! Boy, that was good fun!
Old 17th April 2011, 06:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

@rrsteer

I havent driven the Prima, but was in it when it was being driven, and that for for less than 2 mins. If you are looking for a driving review, sorry. Also, as I have never been inside a Volvo I can really compare. But people tell me, its equally good in terms of cabin quality.

But let me say this, the feel of the cabin is something more like a upper C-segment car rather than a truck. As for mechanical, this is just the beginning of the Prima tractor range, let the higher power versions come, then we can think of comparing with Volvos.

The 3142 HMV is a 4axle, all powered, High Mobility Vehicle. These kinds of vehicles are meant for armed forces for multiple uses in support of ground staff in hostile conditions. They are used as mobile radar units, as rocket launcher platforms, anti aircraft gun platforms, armored troop carriers.

This is a massive vehicle, much larger than a Humvee, thus its capabilities are very good, but there are all the advantages and disadvantages of size. This vehicle is almost ready, but as of now I dont think there is much chance too see them with the Indian Army. Though many foreign armed forces have shown interest and ordered this vehicle.
Old 17th April 2011, 06:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Eicher 10.90 truck, Farm tractors of Mahindra, Ferguson with trailors- it was real tough to take a reverse, never got them right in first attempt! does Jcb's count? 530 loader 4x4, 4 speed
Actually quite similar experience here. Used to work with Swaraj Mazda and hence drove buses and trucks a lot. And while working in TAFE drove tractors a lot and also learnt all the farming operations as well. Reversing a trailer is a truly unique experience.
Old 17th April 2011, 07:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

i have driven a Dcm Dyna truck, A Godrej Forklift and tired operation a crane at our plant.

infact for those who know hyd, did a lap in a Dcm Dyna around the kbr park way back in 2004.

here's the link from what i had written about it in 2004!: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...na-driven.html
Old 17th April 2011, 10:18   #56
BHPian

Way back in 2005 when i was working with Ashok Leyland, i had driven AL 4/11(cheetah) and AL 2214(at that time it was tusker super) chassis.

And you know one thing these things are damn powerful without its body
Old 17th April 2011, 10:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

@Urzdeepu

Same experience I had when I drove that SFC 1613, which is the least powerful of Tata HCVs. I was always amazed at the the drivers who test these vehicles before despatch, driving the bare chassis trucks at speeds over 80kmph, without so much as a windscreen in front of them.

A truck in just chassis form is truly a scary driving experience. They accelerate violently and brakes lock up way to easily. These things with their brakes designed to stop 20+tons, when they have to deal with less than 5 tons are seriously good. It is always good to stay a good distance behind them on the highways, they can stop from 80kmph way faster than most cars in India.
Old 17th April 2011, 11:32   #58
BHPian

I have been driving commercial vehicles since long. I would advise you guys to try and get a chance to drive a Tanker ( loaded ). This is the most thrilling experience you will have in life. Other dangerous load on trucks is Sugecane. And if you get a chance to drive a half loaded tanker, You will never forget the feel of the vehicle.
Cheers.
Old 17th April 2011, 14:06   #59
BHPian

First truck which i drove was TATA 1210SE when i was 15 years old. later TATA starbus 32 seater which we owned it for few years.
And Mitsubishi FUSO canter was my daily drive for 3 months in Germany and had done 4000+ kms with it. the only load i used to carry is my bicycle due to parking problems
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone driven a Truck,Bus etc.-dsc01381.jpg  

Old 17th April 2011, 20:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

BTW does owning and driving a Scorpio Getaway whichaccording to a friend is longer than Mini School Buses qualify as driving a truck .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks