Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 15:12   #1
BHPian

KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service

Saw an ad in the Bangalore Mirror / TOI today of KaSRTC expanding their luxury bus fleet and adding Scania coaches. These are branded "Airavat Diamond" and claim to have black boxes, akin to those in airplanes. Based on the ad, these services ply to Chennai, Hyderabad and Cochin apart from a couple of other places. Unable to find an article about this in the media.

KaSRTC is surely losing no time in updating their fleet to keep pace with private operators who have Scania coaches.

Scania handed over 2 Metrolink buses to KSRTC in July last year to run on trial basis for the period of two months. Scania was one of the contenders in the tender issued by KSRTC, inviting premium intercity bus manufacturers to file nomination towards the order.

The Metrolink buses have the following features:

• Fleet Management Service (FMS) – performance monitoring of the vehicle and the driver.

• Speed limit compliant to state regulations.

• Ensures all windows, front-rear-side and roof hatches, can be used as emergency exits - with twelve hammers.

• Emergency doors.

• Scania buses have fire retardant material in all critical areas.

• Flight like safety video to educate passengers on Do’s and Don'ts at the time of emergency.

• High definition IP Camera with night vision for recording inside the bus during travel in order to ensure safety for women and against theft.

• Scania Opticruise gearbox with built in blended retarder for smoother braking.

• Specially designed seats and suspension for maximum passenger comfort.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Adding additional info from their press release
aroonanand is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service

And their services are quite good. I havent tried the "Diamond" yet, but have taken the 'sleep like a baby" buses to pune once, and it was quite peaceful and pleasant. KSRTC doesn't hesitate to take a leap when it comes to inter state bus travel, and i would say they are quite ahead compared to other State RTC's.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2015 at 13:01. Reason: Typos
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th June 2015, 18:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Saw an ad in the Bangalore Mirror / TOI...
KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-epaperbeta.timesofindia.com-24_06_2015_009_033-1.jpg

Image courtesy : TOI ePaper (Bangalore edition)
Klub Class is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 19:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Except for the Blackbox I would like to know if rest of the advertised features were part of I-Shift multi-axle anyway??

There is nothing much significant that differentiates itself from Club Class (and not Klub class )here.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 21:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Pardon any ignorance, but what safety does a black box provide in a bus?

Does it work by increasing the driver consciousness, as the travel is being recorded? If so, does it really work with our drivers who care two hoots?
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 22:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

KSRTC Airavat services are very good, I have experienced this time and again.

Their staff has good manners and etiquette. The buses are clean and run on time. The places where they halt for food are carefully chosen and much cleaner with better toilets.

I am sure, this new diamond class too will get a good response from the passangers.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 23:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

With airlines going the 'bus operator' way in cramming more seats and offering nothing complimentary, this has the potential to draw air travellers if door to door timings are comparable?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 08:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the Features as per Deccan Herald Today:

* Flight like black boxes,6 emergency exits and 12 Hammers

* All Windows are safe-breakable; Front, Rear, Side, Roof hatches can be uses as emergency exits as well

* Rear rescue door on non road facing side for emergency

* Fire retardant material in all critical places

* Automatic fire detection and suppression system with on board fire extinguishers

* ABS for instant response and maximum control - Electronic Braking system

* HD IP camera with night vision for recording inside the bus for safety and security of passengers(60 days recording facility)

* Flight like safety video to educate passengers at times of emergency and safety information brochure with every seat

* Speed limit complaint as per state Govt. regulations

* 48 Comfortable reclining seats
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 09:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Except for the Blackbox I would like to know if rest of the advertised features were part of I-Shift multi-axle anyway??

There is nothing much significant that differentiates itself from Club Class (and not Klub class )here.
I don't understand the logic of having black box in a bus. Anyways speed restrictions are in place for this bus which is also equipped with ABS. Will the black box function in the same manner as that of the aeroplane black box??
Old 25th June 2015, 09:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Here are some images from Bangalore Mirror's FB Page.

KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-fb_img_1435203278791.jpg

KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-fb_img_1435203282800.jpg

KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-fb_img_1435203286042.jpg

KSRTC to start Airavat Diamond Class Service-fb_img_1435203288904.jpg

Apologies for the low res. Saved from FB mobile app.

Come to think of it, since this (Scania) service is being marketed as a Diamond Class, how much better would it fare compared to a multi-axle Mercedes or Volvo for that matter ?

Like Parag has said earlier, apart from Black box, and some safety features (6 emergency doors, 12 hammers) how does it make a much difference from the existing Mercedes multi-axles, from a ride quality perspective ?

Also, how better is the general Scania build quality over Mercedes or Volvo ? Or are they all at par ?

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 25th June 2015 at 09:20.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 10:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Volvo has come in and revolutionized the travel-by-bus industry with time, luxury and comfort.
Hope we see an era of another revolution in terms of safety, which is what is lacking big time on our roads, especially with these interstate night travel buses.
Old 25th June 2015, 11:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

The service looks very promising. What are the routes where this new services are being planned?

I seriously hope the lousy MH govt wakes up soon and starts services like these sometime, but then they will have to first invest in good roads to have such class services.
Old 25th June 2015, 11:09   #13
BHPian

A black box , on a State transport bus ? As per the advert these are going to ply to neighboring southern states. No service to Mumbai ? As far as I know the Volvos plying the Mumbai route are doing pretty well and are very popular. A new Scania multi-axle will only get in more people.
Apart from this why didn't the Merc multi-axels make the cut ? I think KSRTC has a few of these as well right ? Or it because the RTC gets Scania at a special price considering they have a factory in Hoskote just like Volvo ?
Old 25th June 2015, 12:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
A black box , on a State transport bus ? As per the advert these are going to ply to neighboring southern states. No service to Mumbai ? As far as I know the Volvos plying the Mumbai route are doing pretty well and are very popular. A new Scania multi-axle will only get in more people.
Apart from this why didn't the Merc multi-axels make the cut ? I think KSRTC has a few of these as well right ? Or it because the RTC gets Scania at a special price considering they have a factory in Hoskote just like Volvo ?
May be what you have said is true. But KSRTC has quite a number of AL buses too in the Rajahaamsa fleet and no TATA buses. Not sure why this is so.
Old 25th June 2015, 12:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see KSRTC continuously update their fleet. KSRTC is my first choice for any bus travel and their buses are maintained very well. Even their rates are lower than the private players.

I have used their Airavat Superia service quite a few times, where each headrest has a screen with an Airtel DTH connection. Channels are limited, but it worked all the way from Chennai to Bangalore. Reception gets cut only if the bus enters a covered area (toll plazas, etc.). This bus also has a chemical toilet.

Next time shall try this Diamond Class.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 25th June 2015 at 12:06.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks