Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted

A camouflaged scorpio getaway has been spied in pune as per this report.
Quote:
The version spotted was the Australia spec model carrying the ‘Pik-Up’ moniker on the tailgate.

Based on a revised body-on-frame chassis with hydroforming, the new generation Mahindra Pik-Up gets a comprehensively revised front fascia that made its debut in September 2014 on the SUV version.

The new grille, double barrel headlamps with DRLs and bumper are clearly visible. The side profile remains largely the same but the test mule was equipped with side steps and additional mounts.

While the Scorpio SUV gets new LED finished tail lamps, the test mule was equipped with the older vertically stacked tail lights that really kills the overall styling quotient.

A host of changes will also feature inside the cabin of the next generation Mahindra Pik-Up sporting a new dashboard, instrument cluster with MID screen, 4-spoke steering wheel and new switchgear. The cabin will also get improved materials while the seats will continue to be upholstered in fabric.

The Australian version already comes with a 2-DIN audio system, tilt steering, central lock, power windows and HVAC unit which will be retained on the outgoing model as well.

In terms of power, the new Mahindra Pik-Up will continue to use the 2.2-litre four-cylinder mHawk diesel engine tuned for 120 PS and 280 Nm of torque. Power is sent to all four wheels via the AWD system paired to a 5-speed gearbox. Mechanically, the new Pik-Up is expected to be lighter and stiffer, whereas a new anti-roll bar will help reduce body roll.

The Mahindra Pik-Up can be expected to go on sale in Australia by mid-2016 while an Indian debut is likely next month at the Auto Expo.
2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiopickuptestmule.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiopickuptesting.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiopickupspyshot.jpg
Source: motorbeam.com
rgds,
Nikhil

Note: i like the 540 No.
jeepster is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the load bay still looks like its pasted to the back and out of proportion. Would help if the overhang had been lesser and there was better detailing at the rear. Anyway I guess the target market doesn't worry too much about these things. Kudos to M&M to keep this variant duly updated.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2016 at 12:42. Reason: Typos
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd January 2016, 18:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: 2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Somehow the load bay still looks like its pasted to the back and out of proportion.
This is a major problem with the getaway and the bolero camper. Unlike the Xenon, the chasis was never designed to be used for a pick up. Hence the load bay sticks out fully behind the rear wheel. I once drove a getaway with about 350 kgs to 500 kgs at the back and it was very scary as the front is fully lifted as the load bay is like a sea saw.

If you see the Xenons load bay, the rear tyre is centered to keep the weight centered on the rear axle. If one is buying a pick up purely for show factor, then the getaway will suffice, but if you need to use it to carry any decent loads, get a Xenon.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2016 at 12:42. Reason: Quoted post edited
4x4addict is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you. I will go a step further and say that the Xenon is also better show value ☺. The new Xylo based pickup looks better than this
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 05:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: 2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted

On my trip to the Australian Outback over the Xmas break, i happened to spot one Getaway. Not something i was expecting to see, especially considering the terrain is monopolized by the Hilux and to a small extent the Mitsubishi Triton and the Nissan Navara.
Old 4th January 2016, 23:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Not something i was expecting to see, especially considering the terrain is monopolized by the Hilux and to a small extent the Mitsubishi Triton and the Nissan Navara.
MAHINDRA & TATA both are present in Aussie Market.

MM 4x4 Pick Up DC is priced at 26,990$ & TATA 4x4 Xenon DC is 25,990$.

Toyota 4x4 Hilux DC is priced between 45,990$ to 51,190$.

The pros of brands like Toyota/Mitsu/Nissan are reliability & service network.

The plus points of MM or Tata is their VFM factor. (low price & Maintenance)
2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-1.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-2.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-3.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-4.jpg
source: Facebook, Google

rgds,
Nikhil

http://www.mahindra.com.au/auto/pik-up/

http://www.tatamotors.com.au/home/en/

http://www3.toyota.com.au/hilux/prices
jeepster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 05:23   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
MAHINDRA & TATA both are present in Aussie Market.
Yup, i know that. Interestingly, it's the same dealer in Brisbane who sells both the Tata and Mahindra vehicles, in addition to some other Chinese make as well (not Great Wall). The dealership is quite close to my office, so i see Indian make utes almost everyday.

My observation regarding the Getaway spotting was more in terms of someone who was willing to own a Getaway in a region with poor service facilities, considering how remote the Outback can get.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 23:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My observation regarding the Getaway spotting was more in terms of someone who was willing to own a Getaway in a region with poor service facilities, considering how remote the Outback can get.
When you are driving in the back of beyond with with no dealer for the next 1000 kms, you will regret the 5K you saved cause your concentric slave cylinder packed up withing a year and 30K of buying your Mahindra pick up.
Old 5th January 2016, 23:55   #9
BHPian

Just checked and looks like the aluminum tray is standard for Tata and Mahindra in AU ? Wondering why they do not exist in India (or never explored such options ? ) It looks neat and corrosion resistant.

The Tata looks much better but really never thought they are selling these in AU. I Heard about XUV being sold in AU though. I am assuming they might be offering consistent after sales service in AU. And do they repair these vehicles after their warranty at a Friendly neighborhood garage ?

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 6th January 2016 at 00:03. Reason: Checked online for the accessory option
Old 6th January 2016, 04:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Just checked and looks like the aluminum tray is standard for Tata and Mahindra in AU ? Wondering why they do not exist in India (or never explored such options ? ) It looks neat and corrosion resistant.
Aluminium trays as an option is very common on all makes of utes here in Australia. In fact, they are more common than the regular versions. You find even vehicles which originally did not come with a load carrying capability being modified to run as an ute.

Here is an example of a Land Cruiser 100 series which has been modified into an ute with a load tray. And no, this is not an one-off attempt. I have seen quite a few like these, and finally managed to snap one for reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3652677

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
The Tata looks much better but really never thought they are selling these in AU. I Heard about XUV being sold in AU though. I am assuming they might be offering consistent after sales service in AU. And do they repair these vehicles after their warranty at a Friendly neighborhood garage ?
To be honest, i have seen maybe 5-6 XUVs on the road in the time i have been here. Getaways are slightly more, but then again that's not much when you consider the potential of the market as well as the product.

Not sure about the long term maintenance aspects of these vehicles as of now.
Old 11th April 2016, 17:13   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan for sharing the following images (he prefers to remain anonymous):

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-img_20160409_161757.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-img_20160409_161756.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-img_20160409_161754.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-img_20160409_161744.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 17:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

This seems to carry over the Protruding Auto-locking hubs from the earlier generation Getaway/Scorpio. I am sure they will use the same older rear differentials as well, since the Autralian version will need to accomodate the optional MLD.
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:12   #13
BHPian

Saw the scorpio getaway being testing on the outskirts of Pune yesterday afternoon. While the front looks imposing and the side profile also does look good, the rear feels a bit out of place.
Old 5th October 2016, 10:55   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Spied in close detail by a MotorScribes spy.

They have also provided a close-up video -

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiogetaway2016_frontend1024x683.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiogetaway201621024x683.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiogetaway201611024x683.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiogetaway201641024x730.jpg

2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted-mahindrascorpiogetaway201651024x718.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 11:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Finally M&M Woke up to rejuvenate their Getaway? Does look like they were forced into making these changes to meet the Emission norms rather than giving the customers some due.
However the 2.2 should make the getaway a bit more powerful to drive and I hope they seriously make some changes to the suspension. The present model starts to wallow the minute you go above 80 KMPH. Hopefully it gets more safety features like the Airbags, ABS which I felt was a must considering the tendency of the rear drums to lock up at every given instance.
And yes Rocky Beige...really does not matter if they retain the old look which was softer on the eyes instead of the new design.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks