Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2017, 07:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Leyland introduces Guru series Trucks powered by 3-cylinder engines

Ashok Leyland has recently introduced Guru series of trucks in the segment termed ICV (Intermediate Commercial Vehicles).

These ICVs are in the 12T and 13T category, with different load body options, and are powered with the latest H Series of 3 cylinder engine with Common Rail fuel injection system.

The 3 cylinder diesel engine is making its debut in the Indian Commercial vehicle scene through Guru.

Pictures from Manorama online. Link: http://www.manoramaonline.com/fasttr...land-guru.html
Attached Thumbnails
Ashok Leyland introduces Guru series Trucks powered by 3-cylinder engines-guru1.jpg  

Ashok Leyland introduces Guru series Trucks powered by 3-cylinder engines-guru2.jpg  

Ashok Leyland introduces Guru series Trucks powered by 3-cylinder engines-guru3.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 29th September 2017 at 13:57.
rajeev k is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 17:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Ashok Leyland introduces Guru series Trucks powered by 3-cylinder engines

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Commercial Vehicles Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 12:51   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ashok Leyland introduces Guru series Trucks powered by 3-cylinder engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
These ICVs are in the 12T and 13T category, with different load body options, and are powered with the latest H Series of 3 cylinder engine with Common Rail fuel injection system.
What would be the advantage of a 3-cylinder engine in commercial vehicles? Lower cost? Efficiency? Read somewhere that it's derived from their 4-cylinder mill. <4-cylinder motors are popular in smaller CVs, but I don't think it's the case in bigger trucks.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 13:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What would be the advantage of a 3-cylinder engine in commercial vehicles? Lower cost? Efficiency? Read somewhere that it's derived from their 4-cylinder mill. <4-cylinder motors are popular in smaller CVs, but I don't think it's the case in bigger trucks.
Ideal compromise / balance between load carrying capacity and fuel economy, apparently.

SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 13:37   #5
BANNED

I will be surprised if a three cylinder motor should be a preferred option as against a four cylinder. But then strange are the ways of Industry. I bet they have done home work.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2017 at 08:42. Reason: As requested
Old 30th September 2017, 15:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

H series had 2 versions - 6 cylinder, 6 lts. and 4 cylinder, 4 lts.

If this has only 3 cylinders then I presume the cubic capacity is only 3 litres. What are the HP and torque figures?

In the olden days, 12-13 tonners used to come with 6 cylinder engines!
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
H series had 2 versions - 6 cylinder, 6 lts. and 4 cylinder, 4 lts.

If this has only 3 cylinders then I presume the cubic capacity is only 3 litres. What are the HP and torque figures?
115hp and 320Nm. I think it's a sub 3L engine as the H6 engines are of 5.7L capacity.

Quote:
In the olden days, 12-13 tonners used to come with 6 cylinder engines!
Those 12-13 Tonners now grew up to 15-16T GVW and their ~100 hp engines improved the output to 160+ now, with lower emissions.
Old 5th October 2017, 17:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

3 Cylinder engines are cheaper to manufacture, due to lesser components.
That would be the primary reason, for going for 3 Cylinders.

However, they are slightly more fuel efficient and are generally torquier than their 4 Cylinder equivalents (Assuming same technology levels).
Old 9th October 2017, 18:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ashok Leyland has claimed better fuel performance yet matching gradeability with 3 Cylinder as against 4 Cylinder. Engine is based on existing 4 cylinder platform and is likely to have multiple application and the first one is Guru. This mill is currently powering the highest GVW variant (12T and 13T) and is likely to power in smaller GVW variants like 11T and below in future. You may also see this engine powering buses as well.
More details on product positioning is given below

Guru Product Position
Quote:
Boss is positioned as premium offering for over load/long distance application and Ecomet is positioned for over load application. And the left out is the rated load application like Courier, live stock carrier, parcel carriers and Guru finds its space there. Similarly while the Boss and Ecomet is suggested for Hub – Hub transportation, Guru is proposed for Hub – Spoke – Hub transportation. This means the truck shall be mostly used with in city where there is strictly “No over load” condition and will be operated within a radius of 150 Kms to 200 Kms.

Key Buying Factors (KBF)

Rated load application has specific KBF’s like higher turn around time, better fuel performance etc. Guru is designed and is addressing each and every KBF’s in rated load application. Guru is available in both 12T and 13T GVW with varying load body options of 17ft, 20ft and 22ft. Ashok Leyland claims ‘Guru’ is the lightest truck in its category, means, has the lowest Un Laden Weight (ULW) and has the highest payload (PL). The lowest ULW truck in the 13T segment is Eicher Pro 1110 XP and Guru is lighter by more than 120 Kgs for a similar load body size. This makes Guru to carry higher payload and deliver class leading fuel efficiency. Ashok Leyland is aiming 10% more fuel performance, than the best in market.
Source , CV News.in : Tight squeeze – Right Place. Read how Ashok Leyland is smartly positioning ‘Guru’

Last edited by Ashley2 : 9th October 2017 at 18:36.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 00:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good sign for Ashok Leyland that they are trying to gain market share in this category. Tata had a major market share and Eicher, in last few years, rose significantly in this category.

I can understand that Ashok Leyland is trying hard to offer some competitive advantage to the customer in terms of FE etc. I only hope that the truck durability and reliability does not suffer during the process.

Ashok Leyland is a well known name (though on backfoot now after prominence of Eicher). If I am a fleet owner (especially from South), I can happily buy AL truck providing the same FE as competitors at the same price, provided it is rugged and reliable with guaranteed performance (enough torque, braking). But I will stay away from a promise of extra FE, if I suspect that ruggedness, reliability and performance are doubtful.

If AL has reduced one cylinder just to compensate for possibly lower organisational productivity / efficiency or to make-up for the economies of volumes enjoyed by the competitors, then it will be alarming.

Time will answer this. My genuine best wishes to them.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 10th October 2017 at 00:57.
Old 10th October 2017, 09:41   #11
BHPian

Inerestingly, TML had recently launched a new 3 liter 4 cylinder engine in their Ultra series of L/ICVs. The trucks are christened 1014 (14 denoting 140 PS power). It seems the entire industry is going towards 3 liters as the preferred cubic capacity for ICVs
Old 10th October 2017, 11:07   #12
BHPian

The Guru seems to be a promising product by AL. Lets see if it can gain the lost numbers of AL as I am spotting a lot of Eicher vehicles in Bangalore these days.

BTW, Force Motors introduced a 3 cylinder 2.0 litre engine for the Trax range of products last Jan to meet the BS IV Norms. So, I guess that was the first time a 3 Cylinder BS IV engine made its way in the CV segment

Most Viewed