The image of the airline 10 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2020, 13:40   #91
BHPian

re: Air India Divestment - Tata Sons completes acquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Civil services is outdated, and too much power concentrated with them. They are the ones who should at least implement the government's vision, but they are continuing in the direction that has been built up over time.
I beg to disagree. Civil service is not outdated concept. It is as relevant as doctors. The Corporate India have always manipulated Government policies for their personal benefit.Without political patronage Jio would couldn't have been so successful.

Unfortunately it has become a norm among the media and common man to criticize Civil Servants for every problem
The issue of Air India is complex as political class doesn't want to let go of it for obvious reasons.

P.S: Having dealt with corporate India and Civil servants I don't have sympathy either of them.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 8th March 2020 at 13:41.
FrozeninTime is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:17   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Sir why do you bash IAS/ Civil Services so much in your posts?
I feel you have been barking on the wrong bush Sir. You always blame Civil services for mess but give a long rope to political class and crony corporates who are the real culprits.

Government role is to facilitate business not run business
Air India is a classic case of what Government shouldn't do.

P.S I have lost trust in so called professionals and corporates after seeing so much scams from ILFS to present Yes Bank.
Thank you for pointing this out and sharing your feedback. You are right I do tend to snarl at the civil services and maybe as you indicate I should tone it down a bit. Possibly my bias is borne out of three and a half decades of dealing with them at multiple levels on many occasions and seeing the attitudes, the indecision, sometimes shocking arrogance and the fact that the basic structure of our administration is what Lord Curzon set up in 1900-1904 and they have not got around to fundamentally change that yet. I agree we cannot blame them for all the problems of the country and I don't think I have done that in the post. But yes the IAS do very knowingly collaborate with each other to retain the reigns of power within their cadre, not effectively permit lateral entry into the Govt from the talent pool of the nation and keep the other services in check. Having said that those amongst them who are the top 10% are simply outstanding. It is the 90% that stays focused on surviving. As for Yes Bank, ILFS etc those are not connected to Air India nor am I implying that the business sector are holy cows. You could start a thread on private sector scams. I am sure we will all participate eagerly. I hope I have not offended you or your family members who may be from the IAS.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:53   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

With the recent turmoil in the stock markets and the economies world wide coupled with the uncertainties lurking around, I think no company would be looking to let loose their wallets for buying Air India. Almost all organisations would prefer to sit on excess cash rather than spending on an acquisition in one of the sectors which is worst hit.

I think the process will be stalled, at least for now.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 17:03   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Air India disinvestment - Govt extends deadline to submit bids.

It has extended deadline for submission of preliminary bids for Air India to April 30 from March 17th.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:07   #95
BHPian

I don't think that this deal will go on anytime right now. This will be pushed by a bare minimum 6 months due to Corona virus scare. No one will be putting the money in to buy an airline.
theflyingguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 13:52   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
I don't think that this deal will go on anytime right now. This will be pushed by a bare minimum 6 months due to Corona virus scare. No one will be putting the money in to buy an airline.
Even if someone has the money - we will not sell now AS WE NEED AIR INDIA again

https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...virus/1905308/

May God keep the Crew safe

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 17:45   #97
BHPian

National air carriers have been an invaluable instruments during this pandemic. They have hauled nationals struck at various places in the globe back to their homeland. Air india is no exception. It has been to the heart of pandemics like china and iran and have rescued our citizens. It makes me wonder if privatization of national air carriers is a prudent step during emergencies like this. Private airlines do not have the "patriotism" as compared to the national airlines. Even though military planes can come in handy during these times. I am not sure if other nations would allow a military carrier like C130 entering their air space. If at all our military has some to spare.

I hope that we keep minimum aircraft of Air india for emergencies like this.

One more question: If Air india is privatized what aircraft would PM and president use?.
Old 27th April 2020, 17:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

One more question: If Air india is privatized what aircraft would PM and president use?.
UK , USA and many other countries such as Sri Lanka don't have any "nationalized carrier" ( Sri Lankan air was sold to BA long back) however that does not stop thier state heads to travel or get planes to evacuate citizens. On the other hand Pakistan has state owned PIA but they did not rescue their citizens and at times their PM had to borrow plane to return from USA.

I am sure if Government of India asked any charted flight operator they would have provided aircraft and pilots of course may be for a premium but premium fare for once in a blue moon situation is better than constantly bleeding airlines.

So I don't think this is a valid argument.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 18:03   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
National air carriers have been an invaluable instruments during this pandemic. They have hauled nationals struck at various places in the globe back to their homeland. Air india is no exception. It has been to the heart of pandemics like china and iran and have rescued our citizens. It makes me wonder if privatization of national air carriers is a prudent step during emergencies like this. Private airlines do not have the "patriotism" as compared to the national airlines. Even though military planes can come in handy during these times. I am not sure if other nations would allow a military carrier like C130 entering their air space. If at all our military has some to spare.

I think this is a valid question but then again, these are extraordinary times and I don't know if the Govt is willing to keep it running for benefits like these. Comes down to cost/benefit analysis I assume?

About spliting a small section from it and retain a few crafts and crew? I don't even know how that would work as these planes would still need upkeep/maintenance, and before you know it, all the existing problems will migrate over to this new entity (even if in a smaller form).

Time will tell. But, given how the airlines are struggling all over, it's unlikely they will find buyers soon.

The PM or President planes are operated by Air Force I think? So nothing should change for them.
Old 27th April 2020, 19:40   #100
BHPian

Quote:
They have hauled nationals struck at various places in the globe back to their homeland. Air india is no exception.
Though evacuation needs are rather becoming frequent with natural disasters, political instability or pandemic but still it is not enough reason to keep a bleeding airline like AI. Govt should not be in the business of running commercial airlines.

Quote:
Even though military planes can come in handy during these times. I am not sure if other nations would allow a military carrier like C130 entering their air space.
Actually our C-17 military transport aircraft went to both China and Iran for evacuation. So there isn't any problem there. Link1 Link2

Quote:
I think PM is going to/already have his own aircraft like Air Force One.
These aircrafts can be under some special purpose vehicle plan and need not be under AI. Just like there are small planes and Helicopters for state CMs for domestic travel.

Last edited by fordday : 27th April 2020 at 19:41.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 17:57   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Government extends deadline for Air India bid to 30 June

Government's decision comes amidst covid-19 outbreak, which has severely hurt the economy, and investment sentiments.

This is the second time the government extended the deadline to submit bids for Air India as it had earlier extended the deadline to 30 April from 17 March.

Quote:
When asked whether the government will prefer to postpone the privatisation of both the public sector enterprises or keep extending the deadlines, a finance ministry official under condition of anonymity said the government would prefer the latter. “There is no hurry. We have time till 31 March next year
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th April 2020 at 17:59.
Old 28th April 2020, 19:01   #102
Senior - BHPian

I don't expect any bids by June 30th. In fact, if Air India receives any bids in this financial year (April 2020 to March 2021) it will be something of a miracle. Many airlines are going under, people seem reluctant to travel thanks to the Corona virus, and a seeming global recession will only weaken the pool of potential investors. Postponing the deadline indefinitely makes less sense than launching a privatisation bid later
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 19:50   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

A bidder who is really serious might find itself in a buyer's market where a cash strapped Govt lowers its price expectations and says green for go. I believe, Tata's are keenly interested. Where and how it fits in with their overall strategy I do not know but they dont need to raise funds from the market:-)
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 20:02   #104
BHPian

The wisest decision is to wind up the airline this year as no airline in the right sense of mind would find it feasible to add additional capacity. With the acquisition comes additional burdens and liabilities and we the taxpayers have been for long bearing this burden. Seriously how much longer is this tragedy allowed to continue ? Government has no business being in the aviation industry and throwing good money after a hopeless company.

As far as the excuse of airlifting Indians from around the world is concerned, private airlines can be mobilized for the purpose along with suitable passenger carrying aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
I beg to disagree. Civil service is not outdated concept. It is as relevant as doctors. The Corporate India have always manipulated Government policies for their personal benefit.Without political patronage Jio would couldn't have been so successful.
Classic example of politicians converting Adversity into Opportunity. Advising BSNL & MTNL not to use Chinese equipment. Why not such an advice for private players?
Can one believe that BSNL is denied of 4G services till date while private players are ready to test 5G technology. Please read today's article published in Financial Express.

(((TEPC has complained that BSNL has flouted the Made In India norms while issuing the tender. When all the private players are procuring world class 4G equipment
from international vendors, then why BSNL alone should be compelled to procure equipment from domestic vendors,the union said in a letter. It added the Indian vendors do not have proven 4G technology and further; they don't have the experience of managing huge networks. Hence, compelling BSNL to procure 4G equipment from the Indian vendors is nothing but denial of level playing ground to BSNL vis-a-vis the private telecom service providers;the union said.

Abhimanyu said there is a reason for the BSNL employees to believe that a conspiracy has been hatched to stop BSNL's 4G roll-out. Further, the vested interests, who are out to scuttle BSNL's 4G rollout are having blessings of the government. Otherwise the flimsy complaint by TEPC could not have resulted in the stopping of BSNL's 4G tender, he said.

Although the revival package was announced in October last year but apart from the VRS, nothing has been implemented so far. The much publicised steps, such as launching of BSNL's 4G service, issuing of sovereign guarantee to BSNL for raising funds from market, monetisation of assets.etc.are yet to see the light of the day.))

Source: Financial Express
RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks