Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2018, 05:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

A woman's experience in getting a heavy vehicle licence

Gayatri is avid driver and has done many interesting drives across the country. Now she has her heart set to get a commercial vehicle license.

Quote:
Ever Since I did the GQ Drive in March 2016, I have been dreaming of doing the same in a truck … yeah you heard that right !! So started my endeavour to get an HMV license because without that no company would entertain any such thoughts in terms of sponsorship. What I thought would be any easy thing to get has turned out to be one long procedure and mind you no tout is willing to go anywhere near this.

After a lot of going back and forth my application got accepted in Nov 2017. I will admit, probably being the only woman who has applied for this did add to the ridicule, sniggering, and a little bit of amazement. Then came a long waiting period of 8 months. The thing in Haryana is, once you apply for the HMV license, you need to undergo a training of 35 days by the Haryana Roadways Training School. In Gurgaon there is a wait of about 8-9 months for that. Finally I got my call to apply for the Learner's license and pay the fees. And now I have to undergo 35 days of training, which not only includes learning how to drive, but also learning to understand the vehicle and its engine. And I learn to drive in a roadways' bus !!! 6 am to 2 pm Monday to Saturday. Even if I take one day off , its going to cost me 1700 bucks which is half the fees.

Day 1 was interesting. Today's attendance was a class of 80. We were given a lecture class today. Practical introduction to driving got cancelled as it was pouring like crazy. I have been driving for close to 30 years now, but this class left me feeling grossly uneducated in as far as a vehicle is concerned. It started with an introduction to the prerequisites, do's and don'ts , hows and the whys of the engine. An eyeopener on the efforts they put in to teach … and yes the class responds.

As I go on through these 35 days I will keep updating here giving you an insight into what goes into making of a HMV driver. Maybe in the process we would understand the difficulties and nuances faced by one driving a huge vehicle and in the process better our attitude on the road.
She's posting about her experience of getting the she at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...5946391159565/

As her membership is not approved yet I am copying her posting here.

@Mods - Can you please change the thread title to "A women's experience in getting heavy vehicle license"

Last edited by sudev : 15th July 2018 at 05:55.
sudev is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 10:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A woman's experience in getting a heavy vehicle licence

About day 2 Gayatri writes:
Quote:
Day 2 ....
After a brief talk on the gears and how a double “clitch” (not clutch) is to be used to change gears ( the new age buses don’t need this ) one by one we were behind the wheel for the first practical lesson.
It was amusing how the 7-8 guys who had their turn before me quietly got off the bus when I came on the wheel.
Yes I have been driving for close to 30 years , yes I have driven on treacherous roads , yes I have driven in extreme conditions and yes I have felt a high doing those . But those highs do not compare to the high I felt today. I have been thinking of words to describe the feeling but I am at a loss. In a strange way it felt very liberating.
sudev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 10:15   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Related thread on a lady trucker - link

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
As her membership is not approved yet I am copying her posting here.
Membership approved .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 10:24   #4

Day 2
After a brief talk on the gears and how a double “clitch” (not clutch) is to be used to change gears ( the new age buses don’t need this ) one by one we were behind the wheel for the first practical lesson.
It was amusing how the 7-8 guys who had their turn before me quietly got off the bus when I came on the wheel.
Yes I have been driving for close to 30 years , yes I have driven on treacherous roads , yes I have driven in extreme conditions and yes I have felt a high doing those . But those highs do not compare to the high I felt today. I have been thinking of words to describe the feeling but I am at a loss. In a strange way it felt very liberating.
Maverick!! is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 11:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick!! View Post
Quote:
I have been thinking of words to describe the feeling but I am at a loss. In a strange way it felt very liberating.
Welcome to Team BHP Maverick!! I assume you are the person Sudev refers to in his post. Look forward to your experiences.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th July 2018 at 13:07. Reason: quote fixed
Old 16th July 2018, 12:43   #6

Quote:
Welcome to Team BHP Maverick!! I assume you are the person Sudev refers to in his post. Look forward to your experiences.
Thanks V.Narayan. Look forward to learning a lot more .

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th July 2018 at 12:55. Reason: Fixing Quotes
Maverick!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 12:52   #7
BHPian

Welcome Maverick ! Admire your resolve and wish you all the best. I have been wanting to get a HMV license myself but never really got around to do it.

I never really knew obtaining a HMV license was so difficult. I have watched Mandira Bedi driving a truck up into the Himalyas in a TV series called World's toughest roads or something like that. At that time it never occurred to me how she must have obtained a heavy vehicle license. Now that you have mentioned the entire process, I wonder if she too had to go through all these hassles.

Last edited by SCORPION : 16th July 2018 at 12:54.
Old 16th July 2018, 13:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Welcome Maverick ! Admire your resolve and wish you all the best. I have been wanting to get a HMV license myself but never really got around to do it.

I never really knew obtaining a HMV license was so difficult. I have watched Mandira Bedi driving a truck up into the Himalyas in a TV series called World's toughest roads or something like that. At that time it never occurred to me how she must have obtained a heavy vehicle license. Now that you have mentioned the entire process, I wonder if she too had to go through all these hassles.

Thanks Scorpion. Ice Road Truckers .I am sure she would have gone through a procedure but probably a fast tracked one.
Maverick!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 17:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Maverick, learnt about your experience from my wife who in turn read it on FB. It will be an interesting read since you are doing it in Haryana. Every state it seems has a different procedure. Am also looking to get a HMV and will follow your thread closely to gain enough guts to go through it. Once again my best wishes.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 20:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

She continues with her Day 3 experience
Quote:
From driving in a safe open space yesterday to driving on a 'busy with morning traffic road', it was quite a jump. But yes, quite a confidence booster. Once all of us had had our turns we went to the space that we drove in yesterday. After the breakfast break one of the other instructors took me for a spin. He made me do the figure eights and the circles and also taught me nuances of how to manage the tail end while turning the bus . For good about 45 minutes I was driving doing all of this and I think I can safely say some of apprehensions have been put to rest. I am a little more familiar now with the pressure brakes the bus has. Yesterday it was freaking me out. I also got to know that in a bus the first gear is used basically when you need more power, the second is actually the first gear so to speak. Its not just me who is excited about learning to drive a bus, I can sense that excitement in the instructors too. Each one seems to be eager to teach me what they know.
The thing that I noticed while being on the road today is that people on the road really don't want to understand basics. There is this bus which the L marking all over it, and also written on it os a statement that the driver is learning, which means clearly that the driver is a novice , beware. But these people in there own stupidity will drive crazy without even giving it a thought. What makes them do that, beats me !!
While I am looking forward to tomorrow and the days ahead, I know its going to get more complex. I need to make sure overconfidence doesn't get the better of me.

Last edited by sudev : 17th July 2018 at 20:28.
sudev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 22:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick!! View Post
Thanks V.Narayan. Look forward to learning a lot more .
Welcome to Team-BHP Ma'am. Looking forward for your travelogues. If I am not mistaken, aren't you the one who took GQ with Ajay Jagga Sir and also a member of Roadgraphers ?
Old 17th July 2018, 23:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to teambhp Ms Maverick. It was nice to read through your experiences. Its a largely untrodden territory for ladies. With your grit, determination, motivation and past experience you should be doing well. Our best wishes !

And a request- everyone who posts in your new HMV licence thread here, be please given the joy of a bus ride with you at the wheel !
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 07:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Gayatri is missing because:
Quote:
Roasted , toasted and nicely barbecued in the sweltering sun !!!! 8 hrs a day in this heat without even a fan. Coming out to be nothing less than a tapasya. �� On a serious note .... nothing new happened that is why no post ....
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 20:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Gayatri writes

Day 4 and 5

While Day 4 was usual but today's (Day 5) lesson included learning to reverse and a little more of the figure 8s . Today's figure 8s were different as we had to drive within marked boundaries ... both reverse and straight and believe me neither is as simple as it sounds. If you have the front in control the back goes haywire and if you think you have the back in control the front wheels get you into trouble. This is something that is going to take practice - a lot of it. This exercise is a prerequisite for passing a test for any job. You brake once and you flunk. It has to be done in one smooth movement !!
Interesting trivia -
1) I was speaking to one of the instructors and he told me that when they are on the route the authourities expect a fuel efficiency of 5 kmpl . Will accept till about 4.7 , anything less than that, the fuel cost is debited out of the driver's salary. A way to ensure they maintain the engine health.
2) The first gear is equivalent of the "4H" in a 4x4 . No "clitch" required and no acceleration required it just move on its own torque. So when you are learning to to the figure 8 you just put it in the "advance gear" and concentrate on getting your bearings right while maintaining the boundaries. The bus goes the same way in reverse.
The state of dilapidation the training buses are in, its a wonder how the engine takes the abuse it gets . Totally impressive.
The crazy Delhi heat definitely is beginning to get to me. 30 days more to go , only hope is from the rain gods for some respite.
sudev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 15:57   #15

Day 6

Before we left the depot in the morning, our bus got refuelled. Interesting part was that 92.62 litres for INR 2315/- which comes to 25/- per litre !! Is that what the Roadways pay for a litre of Diesel ?? Well I asked my instructor, he said that he did not know but that an old rate now its much more. He wasn't very convincing though.
Anyhow, today's lesson was again concentrated on the reverse gear. I managed to somewhat do the figure 8 in reverse. The only catch is to get the first cut right as you enter the figure. If you get that then half your work is done. Though it will take some time to really get the hang of it. Tomorrow hopefully I will be able to crack it in the first attempt.
Maverick!! is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks