Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2018, 17:26   #16
BANNED

Re: Govt proposes 'child lock' system to be deactivated in taxis & commercial vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Yes, One of the major reasons I chose my daughter's school even though it was further away from home (11 km), was that they had a school owned and operated transportation and pickup-drop is door to door. Its the same reason, we put our son in the same school.
Does school owned transportation always refers to a bus? No, not in our part of the world. They have other smaller cars too as they may have to go through roads which are not 'bus friendly'. Not everyone in this world lives in place with terrific infrastructure development.

Last edited by pavi : 7th December 2018 at 17:28.
Old 7th December 2018, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt proposes 'child lock' system to be deactivated in taxis & commercial vehicles

I am in support for this initiative too, especially for taxis.

I have seen this on taxis in the UK where in the doors automatically lock when the car goes into motion but unlock as soon as its stationary. The on-off loop continues throughout the journey.
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 19:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Does school owned transportation always refers to a bus?
Outside North America, buses are impractical for school transportation for the reason of narrow streets. Have seen Mercedes' Sprinter, Iveco Sitcar as a school bus in Italy.

In my daughter's case it is a Force Traveller. The kindergarten branch has a mix of Force Travellers and Mahindra Supro. Few other schools in my city, too use similar sized 25-30 seater vans, not cars
Old 7th December 2018, 22:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

No parent has any business in letting their child travel alone in a taxi. So, this move makes sense.
Will these be disabled on the factory floor or at the showroom?
Old 7th December 2018, 22:41   #20
BHPian

I just want to know how it is going to be implemented. Does anybody have thoughts regarding that. As most of the cars are sold as private vehicles and taxis side by side, it is going to be some difficult task IMHO. Although it is nothing which cannot be done. Govt must have some idea while passing out his order though.
Old 8th December 2018, 06:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I know a taxi driver who is using his taxi (Honda BRV) to pick and drop school going kids in the morning and afternoon. In these times of increased safety concerns, every parent would prefer a car (taxi) than an auto for their school going kids if available. Are you people still supporting this move?
I have neighbours who use their cabs as personal vehicles also, and know at least some of them use them to drop their kids (don't think your typical uber/ola cabbie, but the taxi owner group who have registered their fleet as taxis for commercial use on the side)
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 09:43   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I have neighbours who use their cabs as personal vehicles also, and know at least some of them use them to drop their kids (don't think your typical uber/ola cabbie, but the taxi owner group who have registered their fleet as taxis for commercial use on the side)
Very true indeed, such a scenario is also there. It’s very simple, we also have to understand these cabbies also have a family and they don’t have the provision to have a separate vehicle to transport their families. If you guys are thinking otherwise, I am having a doubt whether they changed our country’s name, it’s still India right??!!

Last edited by pavi : 8th December 2018 at 09:44.
Old 10th December 2018, 00:38   #23
BHPian

I would rather the rule made it mandatory to disable the child lock only on one of the doors; say the left rear door.
That way I could still, without worry, have my 2 year old kid sit to the left of the rear seat, when we are going to the airport (which is around an hours drive), without the risk of his opening the door by mistake.
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 12:42   #24
BHPian

Good move. While at it, they should also disable the high beam on taxi's, at least below a certain speed (if possible). They are a menace to everybody in the night.

I had started giving low ratings to the cab drivers who used to keep their lights on high beam during the journey and used to mention it in the comments as well. And when asked to use the lower beam, the response would be that everybody is using it so why shouldn't we
Old 26th December 2018, 15:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I am in support for this initiative too, especially for taxis.

I have seen this on taxis in the UK where in the doors automatically lock when the car goes into motion but unlock as soon as its stationary. The on-off loop continues throughout the journey.
Amazing! I wonder what stops the manufacturers to give this feature in all cars irrespective of white or yellow boards. Please mention if I'm overlooking a very obvious reason for not giving it. My car rear doors are always child-locked and I get out of driver's seat every time my wife/mom/dad needs to exit the car. Not that I mind doing it, but such an automated mechanism makes so much more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwagh View Post
Good move. While at it, they should also disable the high beam on taxi's, at least below a certain speed (if possible). They are a menace to everybody in the night.
Not just taxis. Numerous personal car guys do it too. I blame the driving schools who never bother to teach when to use high beams. But then, I wonder how many of the instructors know about it!
Old 26th December 2018, 15:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Amazing! I wonder what stops the manufacturers to give this feature in all cars irrespective of white or yellow boards. Please mention if I'm overlooking a very obvious reason for not giving it.
It goes off even if the car is in the middle of traffic but stopped (say at a signal), which might not be desirable.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks