Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 13:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Boeing 777X: World’s largest twin-engine jet completes first flight

The 252-foot-long passenger plane had been due to launch last year but has been delayed by some technical difficulties.

The 777X is a larger and more efficient version of Boeing's successful 777 mini-jumbo. The plane - which is 77m (252ft) long and can seat more than 400 passengers - took off from a runway just outside Seattle on the US west coast.

The new Boeing model, which will be officially known as the 777-9, also boasts folding wingtips that mean it can fit its wings into the same parking bays as other jets.

RM Motorsports is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 08:05   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Boeing 777X: World’s largest twin-engine jet completes first flight

The A380 was a royal flop, and I think it'll be challenging for Boeing to sell the 777X the way it hoped to.

Full Article

Quote:
While demand for A380s has fallen off a cliff in recent years, the 777X hasn't been much more popular. The proliferation of low-cost long-haul airlines has held down fares for international travel, making most airlines wary of committing to ambitious growth plans. As a result, Boeing has received only one significant order for the 777X since the beginning of 2015: a 20-plane deal with Singapore Airlines signed two years ago.

Meanwhile, falling oil prices, cutthroat competition for connecting traffic, and pockets of weakness in the global economy have pressured results at Emirates, Qatar Airways, and Etihad in recent years. This situation has made it clear that they need to radically scale back their ambitious growth plan, calling into question whether they need as many 777Xs as they have ordered.
Why the A380 failed - Article 1 & Article 2

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2020 at 08:08.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 09:17   #3
BHPian

Passenger 777 demand may not be much in the future, but Cargo/Freighter application should definitely grow with growing e-Commerce around the globe. The 777's big GE turbofan engines are perhaps the best in the business.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:22   #4
RnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
The 777's big GE turbofan engines are perhaps the best in the business.
Absolutely! Cracker of an engine consisting of a 3D printed fuel nozzle, and close to 300 3D printed parts making it more light weight and fuel efficient.
RnK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 14:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

I watched the entire take-off and landing live on Saturday. The landing was so smooth. The GE 9X engines sounds unique. The folding wings are yet another drama while slowing down after landing.

As of date Boeing has 309 confirmed orders for 777X 9 series. I don't think Boeing will struggle with the orders down the line.
myavu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 15:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
As of date Boeing has 309 confirmed orders for 777X 9 series. I don't think Boeing will struggle with the orders down the line.
That is already 60 over the total number of Airbus 380 produced.

There are two main items that favours the Boeing 777x over the Airbus 380.

Firstly, it is much more fuel efficient. Secondly the Airbus 380 was limited in the number of airports that could handle it. Also, most airport that eventually did handle the 380 still needed to make some major upgrades to accommodate the 380. The Boeing 777x with its folding wings, does not have this infrastructure problem.

Still, I doubt very much Boeing would be making a good return on their investments on only 309 orders. They will need to convince customers that this plane is suitable for them.

Long way to go.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
They will need to convince customers that this plane is suitable for them.
With 777X 10 Series they can bridge more gap to A380 in seating. 426 Seats in 2 Class configuration. Also 777X cabin is more spacious than regular 777 even though the capsule's outer circumference is same.

Now eagerly waiting for that fans' bragging between A350-1000 vs 777X 10
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 17:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The Boeing 777X will, I believe, be a world beater like its predecessor the Boeing 777. Passenger capacity wise it is in a sweet spot as the exact replacement of the Boeing 747 albeit with significantly better fuel efficiency and hence cost per passenger-mile than either the 747 or the 380. How it measures up to the A350-XWB is to be seen. I believe with the way international passenger volumes are increasing and direct city pair link-ups are happening there will be a market for both competitors. At 77 metres the 777X is the world's longest production aircraft exceeded only by one-off single piece models - the An-225, Spruce Goose and Stratocruiser. The GE-9X-105 engines at 105,000 lbf each are the most powerful jet engines to enter service on an airliner.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The Boeing 777X will, I believe, be a world beater like its predecessor the Boeing 777. .
But is it designed by clowns as the insiders at Boeing claimed about the 737Max!
Old 28th January 2020, 19:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
But is it designed by clowns as the insiders at Boeing claimed about the 737Max!
A question most would understandably ask. The 777X is a logical improved version of a very proven design. 737MAX attempted to extract an ounce too much from a very proven but old design that (as we know in hindsight) was beyond its limits and a mechanical challenge was tried to be solved by a software answer. Needless to say the 737MAX caught everyone by surprise but we should not forget the dozens of world beating designs Boeing has had success with. Today with the 737MAX nothing about Boeing is believed, by the layman, to be good. And certainly they have a lot to answer for on that one aircraft. I have worked closely with them for years and have only the highest professional regard for their teams and their products that I have seen and worked on. I have worked equally closely with Airbus, Eurocopter, Bell, Bombardier, Gulfstream, Embraer , Dassault, Cessna etc and none of them come to close to Boeing in sheer professionalism. Just one man's opinion.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 21:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

I hate flying Dreamliner, especially on non-middle east carriers. And I am referring to Business class, Air Canada/ KLM have horrible seats, its as if you are sliding into a coffin. Nothing beats upper deck on 380 if you are travelling premium or even on the old Jumbos. I am sure economy seats are equally worst. This is due to less width. Don’t know if its going to improve on the 777X or are they going to squeeze extra seats.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 23:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I hate flying Dreamliner, especially on non-middle east carriers. And I am referring to Business class, Air Canada/ KLM have horrible seats, its as if you are sliding into a coffin. Nothing beats upper deck on 380 if you are travelling premium or even on the old Jumbos. I am sure economy seats are equally worst. This is due to less width. Don’t know if its going to improve on the 777X or are they going to squeeze extra seats.
The seats are not necessarily a Boeing or an Airbus thing perse. Many carriers have their own design. Not quite sure these days, but KLM used to order its Boeing with the cheapest seats in the price list. (Due to some regulations a commercial plane needs to have seats fitted when handed over to the customer.

When the plane was ready for delivery they flew it from Seatle to Amsterdam. Then it would spend several weeks on the ground, being taken apart en having, among others, KLM specific seats fitted.

I actually quite like the business class seats on the KLM 787, although I think of it more as a cocoon, than a coffin.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 02:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Air Canada/ KLM have horrible seats, its as if you are sliding into a coffin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I actually quite like the business class seats on the KLM 787, although I think of it more as a cocoon, than a coffin.
Well, you sure are going to love KLM's future 'Claustrophobic' class seats .
Cut to 13.15 to see what I mean.

If this is the future, I'm sure not a fan of it.

Talking about 777X, I believe it's still a very relevant plane. While it won't sell as much as the original, it will still make good numbers compared to A380. All the carriers relying on the hub and spoke model needs a high capacity airplane. And the only other competition, A350-1000, is IMHO still not large enough. While some of the existing 777-2/300 would be replaced by 787/A330neos/A350-900s, owing to the shift towards point to point model, there would still be quite a significant number of 777s, A380s and 747s left. This is clear if you take a look at the current airlines who have 777X on order - Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, BA, ANA, Lufthansa, Cathay and Singapore. All are still relying on hub and spoke model and dominates the high volume routes. And with the cost benefits compared to the quad engine ones, the airlines would be willing to keep it in service for quite a bit longer.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 07:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The GE-9X-105 engines at 105,000 lbf each are the most powerful jet engines to enter service on an airliner.
Just a minor detail, the GE90-115B powering the B777-300ER are the most powerful engines, at 115000 pounds each. On a slightly unrelated note, I would miss the quads. There is just a different feeling flying the B747 particularly. Yes its a bit noisy, less comfortable (now) , and not well equipped in terms of amenities, but feels more of a solid, old school pilots airplane. Todays planes are quieter, not a lot more comfortable, and feel plasticky in comparison.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Just a minor detail, the GE90-115B powering the B777-300ER are the most powerful engines, at 115000 pounds each. On a slightly unrelated note, I would miss the quads. There is just a different feeling flying the B747 particularly. Yes its a bit noisy, less comfortable (now) , and not well equipped in terms of amenities, but feels more of a solid, old school pilots airplane. Todays planes are quieter, not a lot more comfortable, and feel plasticky in comparison.
Thank you for the detail. I meant to express that the GE90 is the worlds most powerful engine in commercial use; -105 and -115 etc being derivatives. I wonder why for a heavier 777X they installed the 105,000 lbf version instead of the 115,300 lbf version already in use on the -200LR and others.

Those new concept airline seats in post#13 suck. Airline seat manufacturers are the one ancillary supplier who never meet deadlines, rarely provide spares (buy a whole new three seat set for a single handle or hydraulic piece), change price at will and .....and this in an industry known for its production discipline! I think they are the only vendor that airlines are terrified of. In my next life I want to be an airline seat maker.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 29th January 2020 at 09:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks