Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2020, 08:12   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Want to convert Taxi into a private vehicle. How to remove its 80 kmph speed limit after convers

Wolfmoto performance had worked on a Dmax space cab in Pune which had the 80kmph speed limit. It was remapped for more power too.
Old 12th March 2020, 15:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Want to convert Taxi into a private vehicle. How to remove its 80 kmph speed limit after convers

Are the taxi's enforced with 80 kmph speed limit something recent? Coz just a week before a yellow board innova went past me when i was doing 110 kmph
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:17   #18
BHPian

Considering that Innova is not a 'T-permit only' vehicle, this should've been an after manufacture fitment. This means removal should be as easy as the installation.

I don't remember the make, but in a cab I took the driver stopped on the road side before the highway, opened the bonnet, did something & in 2 mins, the speed limit was gone. They apparently 'connect' it back when entering city!!
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Are the taxi's enforced with 80 kmph speed limit something recent? Coz just a week before a yellow board innova went past me when i was doing 110 kmph
In certain states yes. The speed limit is capped to 80Kmph for Yellow Board vehicles. Not in Karnataka though.

Maharashtra Introduces Speed Limit For Four-Wheelers With Yellow Licence Plate

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th March 2020 at 11:36.
Old 13th March 2020, 11:44   #20
BHPian

The Innova has specific variants from the manufacturer intended for commercial use that come with the 80 kmph limiter programmed into the ECU map (No separate speed limiter device). Anyway, there is no 'beep' sound, which I believe the OP is aware of so this is not a concern.

I've seen many Etios (which is also ECU based) running as cabs which have the 80 kmph limiter disabled. I don't exactly recall at the moment but it involved some rewiring to fool the system. I believe you could check with your dealer for a solution prior to reaching out to an independent garage/tuner.

Worst case, you could reach out to Toyota's Service division but I think the cost might be high as an ECU replacement would most likely be suggested.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 14:26   #21
BHPian

When I bought the Xenon in 2017 it came with a speed lock at 80Kmph. I had to write a mail to TATA and CC the dealership to get this removed because it is a Privately registered vehicle. Also, I had to enclose a copy of the RC card to the mail with a letter of authorization. The dealer helped me with this.

TATA agreed. After a week, the truck was at the dealership for a day and the speed lock was removed via the ECU. The engineers at tata remotely updated the ECU connecting a laptop to it.

Quite a hassle, but a necessary evil.

The speed buzzer is installed for your safety, It just beeps once.
My venue has this and it helps me drive safely and below the 80 mark. I do not understand why would anyone compromise on this and remove the buzzer.

Last edited by yamaniac : 13th March 2020 at 14:30.
yamaniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:19   #22
BANNED

I went through all the comments, and found that few of them were not at all recommended. I would strongly suggest to visit the dealership and ask them about the same.

You can also check with the RTO office as well on what to do with that speed limit device and they can also advise.

If you don’t get satisfaction from the answers, then write to Toyota with all the supportive documentation.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th March 2020 at 05:55. Reason: Grammar
pd_scorpio is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th March 2020, 21:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Staiz Jacob poses this question to us. Am guessing the dealership is the best option? Or a tuner with access to the ECU / engine map?
I am assuming the Speed Limiting Function (SLF) came factory fitted. In that case, the only solution is to replace the ECU (with SLF) with the normal ECU (without SLF). Reprgramming / Remapping of ECUs is not recommended and cannot be done by authorized OE dealers.

In case it is a Speed Limiting Device (SLD) which is fitted by a third party vendor, it can be easily removed on request after producing the necessary documents as evidence. This device is usually fitted between the accelerator pedal sensor and the OE ECU.
Old 15th March 2020, 09:08   #24
BHPian

From what I can say about Tata vehicles, speed limiter for yellow boards are done officially through an ECU update at the dealership level which cannot be rolled back unless you change the ECU. So if you want to take it to Toyota, I assume it would be the same. Of course, offline methods would be available outside which you need to explore but that would almost certainly void your warranty.
Old 16th March 2020, 14:52   #25
BHPian

I'm sure the dealership could do this using the diagnostic tool. Some vehicle parameters like Max speed limit, wheel size, etc. can be changed with the diagnostic tool without re-flashing the ECU. Its just a matter of few minutes. But again this entirely depends on how the OEM decides to implement it. It could also be that certain OEM decided to hard code this into the ECU and this would require re-flashing of the ECU.

Last edited by Whiplash7 : 16th March 2020 at 14:56.
Old 17th March 2020, 12:49   #26

Is it possible to get the chime stopped which kicks in after the car hits 120-kph. This feature is on all cars manufactured after July 2019. It is very annoying to be honest and the Mercedes dealership has not conveyed that they will not be able to do away with it. My car is registered in the month of October 2019 and I also wouldn't want to void the warranty that comes with it.
Old 20th March 2020, 13:31   #27
BHPian

Many manufacturers offer their vehicles specifically for commercial purpose, e.g. Maruti Tour series, and these have speed limiters pre-programmed from the factory.

A quick search on google reveals the same for Innova taxi variant: https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...tions/1778337/.
Quote:
Toyota says that their taxi Innova Crystas get a Speed Limiting Function (SLF) that is linked with the ECU of the vehicle. Since it is ECU-based, tampering with it is very difficult.
So I guess it's ECU re-programming required, better if TASS does it. My guess is they just need to re-flash the ECU with normal variant FW version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks