Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 11:35   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Want to convert Taxi into a private vehicle. How to remove its 80 kmph speed limit after conversion?

Staiz Jacob poses this question to us. Am guessing the dealership is the best option? Or a tuner with access to the ECU / engine map?

Quote:
I have an Innova Crysta with a yellow board; the car is just 7 months old & it has a fixed 80 km speed limit. But now, I want to change it to a private vehicle. Is it possible to remove the 80 kmph speed limit?
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 11:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Want to convert Taxi into a private vehicle. How to remove its 80 kmph speed limit after conversion?

Removing the speed limiter should be possible through a tuner. Dealerships won't touch the ECU is what I reckon since half of them would be too lazy to do so and the other half will excuse themselves sighting company guidelines. This is still first preference since I wouldn't want to lose warranty on a 7 month old car.

Speed limit warnings are also programmed in the ECU and many tuners are offering 80 and 120 km/hr chime deletes. Thus, removing the speed limiter should be possible too. Get in touch with a competent tuner, but beware that you risk losing warranty on your car.

Last edited by vishy76 : 11th March 2020 at 11:52.
vishy76 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 12:06   #3
BHPian

re: Want to convert Taxi into a private vehicle. How to remove its 80 kmph speed limit after conversion?

I would recommend contact the dealership and to write a mail to Toyota explaining the situation and ask for a resolution. If it is already converted to a white board vehicle, you can produce the proof so that they will be more considerate about your case. I strongly believe that the dealership must be able to remove the restrictions because until a car is allotted to a customer, the dealership cannot know whether it will be registered as commercial or private so the responsibility of setting the speed limits to a commercial vehicle must be lying with the dealer. This is just my guess and I could be wrong
nagr22 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:21   #4
BHPian

Speed Limiting Device (SLD) as ARAI calls them are as per AIS018/2001 specifications and are installed at the dealership level. So the removal process should be pretty much straight forward since you have all the documents in place
beast_within is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Last year I was contempleting buying the Isuzu DMax hi-ride. I checked with one of the dealers in Noida. They quoted me 1.5 lacs rs extra over and above the standard On-Road price, the additional cost was inclusive of change of registration from Yellow plates to Private registration and removal of speed limiter.

The sales representative confirmed that they would honour the warranty if the removal is being done through them.
BANDHAV is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:56   #6
BHPian

I was under the impression that, apart from the Tour range by MSIL and Hyundai Prime and Mahindra Trip vehicles which have factory installed limiters, other passenger commercial vehicles have speed limiter installed externally (just like GPS tracking function, SOS button etc.). Has the Innova got a factory installed 80 kph limiter?
Old 11th March 2020, 14:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Staiz Jacob poses this question to us. Am guessing the dealership is the best option? Or a tuner with access to the ECU / engine map?
I always assumed the speed governing to be a add-on device made by 'Pricol' from Coimbatore, TN. If yes, to undo the wire-locked fitment, one can try online videos to remove them.

https://www.shopclues.com/speed-limi...ke-pricol.html

Requesting Jacob to send some pics of the in-dash device if any found. If he is in Bangalore I (or anyone interested) can give it a try.
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 15:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

There are mainly two ways used to limit speed. One is an external device which is now mandatory for even older vehicles. The second method is done from the factory, and the speed limit is embedded directly into the ECU map. These cars cannot be registered as whiteboard cars (eg: Isuzu S-Cab).

The former can be done at the dealership level, but for the later, you might need to consult a tuner.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 15:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
I was under the impression that, apart from the Tour range by MSIL and Hyundai Prime and Mahindra Trip vehicles which have factory installed limiters, other passenger commercial vehicles have speed limiter installed externally (just like GPS tracking function, SOS button etc.). Has the Innova got a factory installed 80 kph limiter?
Irrespective of where the device is installed, it should comply to AIS-018 standards (and its amendments). The installation is endorsed by respective RTO for granting the permit and fitness certificates. All OLA-UBER and other cabs need to undergo this.
Old 11th March 2020, 17:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I have a first hand experience as far as external speed limiter device is concerned, cause I have recently converted my taxi registered car to private registration.

In this I case, I would advise him to visit the nearest RTO and inquire about the guys who installs speed governor (He'll find many over there). Ask anyone of them to uninstall the device and they'll charge a nominal fee of approx 100 - 200 only. It's a 5 mins job. Infact he can even sell the speed governor device to that guy itself because that device will be of no use to him. If he intends to sell the device, he should carry the speed governor certificate, which he must have got along with the documents of the car.

But if it's ECU is programmed by the dealer / factory, then the best bet would be to get it programmed from the dealer only.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 17:29   #11
BHPian

Quick question, can the Speed buzzer at 80 and 120 be removed by an external tuner as well?
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 17:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

From whatever information I have, these are done at Manufacturers end and no Dealer will touch this. We have bought an Isuzu Hi recently and by paying a higher Road tax the same was registered without Yellow plates but still the limits are set at 80Kmph. The showroom guy unofficially gave a number of a guy who does this privately. I checked for Innova and this can be done in 2-3 hours at a charge of about 8 K

Regarding the speed buzzer, Yes, these are being removed by many tuners and the rates varies based on the brand more than anything else. Around 15 K for BMW is the current rate and this can be done remotely.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 18:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what I learnt during the purchase of my Isuzu Pick up truck. These are either with a physical lock (not sure how this works) and the ECU software speed limited ones. TATA commercial vehicle dealers told, they will remove the speed limiter post-registration free of cost. However, on the ISUZU, the company outrightly rejected the request to remove the speed limiter. Wolf Moto has finally found a solution to this as I have been consistently bugging them for a solution. They mentioned it was pretty straight forward for the cars like Dzire segments.

Since this car will be registered as a whiteboard, the company through the dealership should be able to remove the speed lock. The best way is to write to Toyota India on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Regarding the speed buzzer, Yes, these are being removed by many tuners and the rates varies based on the brand more than anything else. Around 15 K for BMW is the current rate and this can be done remotely.
Wolf Moto is quoting 8K for the speed limit removal and the 25K for the remap with speed limit removal. I am still contemplating on it, mostly will go for the latter.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 11th March 2020 at 18:09.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 18:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
From whatever information I have, these are done at Manufacturers end and no Dealer will touch this. We have bought an Isuzu Hi recently and by paying a higher Road tax the same was registered without Yellow plates but still the limits are set at 80Kmph. The showroom guy unofficially gave a number of a guy who does this privately. I checked for Innova and this can be done in 2-3 hours at a charge of about 8 K

Is this buzzer working through normal (music-wala) speaker? If not, wouldnt finding the buzzer speaker and dis-connecting the wire be cheaper?
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 21:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Want to convert Taxi into a private vehicle. How to remove its 80 kmph speed limit after convers

My two cents. Manufacturer will not know if the car is going to be yellow board or white board untill it is booked by customer. So, all vehicles should have same ECU updates and be delivered to dealership without any distinction.

If at all, someone comes to know about the car usage(own or rental), it would be sales rep in the dealership. I don't think software update are done at dealership for new vehicles. So, it should be some hardware speed governor that would be installed before going to RTO for registration of yellow board cars by the dealership.

In my opinion, registration restrictions may be there for yellow board cars. Hence, dealership installs speed governors before registration.

Last edited by gkveda : 11th March 2020 at 21:27.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks