Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Visiting the first of its kind - The USS Nautilus @ Groton Submarine Museum (Connecticut, USA)

If there is one thing that we must learn from the Americans is the desire to take pride in their history. Multiple such 'museums' dedicated to history and we are letting our 'historical' boats, planes rot1 (Sorry for the rant).

I had the chance to visit a similar museum in Genova, Italy (On my honeymoon!). They have a floating Sub there. Sadly, I wasn't able to get in as they had some repairs happening for an hour or so and I had to head back to our waiting cruise.

I have however visited some museums in the US and they take a lot of pride in it. Well kept exhibits, knowledgeable teams around to answer questions.

Last edited by torquecurve : 3rd May 2021 at 18:33.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Visiting the first of its kind - The USS Nautilus @ Groton Submarine Museum (Connecticut, USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
PS : I hope the navigational controls have changed from bare basic push buttons to electronic screens at least.
Here's how a modern American nuclear sub looks inside - https://www.cnet.com/news/inside-the...ced-submarine/
Old 28th May 2021, 23:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
entrance to the Naval Submarine Base in New London, Groton, Connecticut. The Mystic river flowed nearby ominously and the sea gulls were pretty raucous.
Thank you very much for your detailed post and for bringing back childhood memories.

More than 30 years ago my family used to live a few hours driving distance from this submarine museum and the USS Nautilus was first submarine I was able to board which is still in the water (managed to visit 3 more which have been similarly preserved docked in the water).

I remember visiting this museum at least 2-3 times and being stuck in my parents house due to the Covid pandemic I was able to dig up these very old pictures from our visits.
From your recent pictures it seems nothing has changed in 30+ years. The interiors of the USS Nautilus remain exactly as I remember them. At that time there was also a serving US Navy sailor on board the sub and I remember asking him if there were any nuclear missiles on board to which he replied that it was capable of carrying a nuclear tipped torpedo.

Visiting the first of its kind - The USS Nautilus @ Groton Submarine Museum (Connecticut, USA)-whatsapp-image-20210528-5.28.51-pm-3.jpeg

Visiting the first of its kind - The USS Nautilus @ Groton Submarine Museum (Connecticut, USA)-whatsapp-image-20210528-5.28.51-pm-1.jpeg

One of your pictures shows a Type A Kō-hyōteki-class Japanese Midget submarine captured by the US in WWII. It's not very well known that five of these submarines were used by the Japanese in the Pearl Harbour attack and all of them were lost.

Visiting the first of its kind - The USS Nautilus @ Groton Submarine Museum (Connecticut, USA)-whatsapp-image-20210528-5.28.51-pm.jpeg

Another strange coincidence, while scrolling through some very old albums today I randomly found a picture of me from probably class 2 or 3 holding a book with a diagram of the USS Nautilus on it
Visiting the first of its kind - The USS Nautilus @ Groton Submarine Museum (Connecticut, USA)-whatsapp-image-20210528-5.28.51-pm-2.jpeg
Foxbat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks