Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 10:24   #31
BHPian

Re: The Deccan Queen Train turns 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Sad to see her storied all blue livery replaced with run of the mill coaches and hauled by an age old WCAM2.
The WCAM 2/3 are very capable and proven workhorses offering about 90% performance and power outputs when compared with the modern WAP 4s and 5s.
The 190 km Mumbai - Pune section doesn't justify high-speed 130 kmph action. That's because -
1. The Mumbai suburban section (CSTM - Karjat) extends upto about 100 km, where the average section speed is restricted to <100 kmph.
2. Then comes the next 28 km odd ghat section (Karjat - LNL), where every train is helped by bankers attached at the rear with the extra power to push the train up the ghats. Average speeds in the ghat section is about 30 kmph, and the DQ takes about 45 minutes to cover the ghat section
3. The last 60 km segment (LNL - PUNE) is the only higher-speed section, and the WCAM 2/3s can continuously haul any train at about 100 kmph - which a WCAM 2/3 can do without breaking a sweat !

The WCAM 2s were the flagship locos hauling WR's 18/19 coach Rajdhanis and Shatabdi before the WAP 7 took over. They can easily haul the DQ's small 16 coach rake with ease

Quote:
Whatever happened to the WAP based push-pull system she ran with a while ago?!?
The DQ never ran with a Push-Pull arrangement. It was the MUM-PUNE Intercity Express that saw an experiment for about 6 months where it was given 2 WAP-7's at both the ends of the train.

Primary motive for push-pull experiment was to check the reduction in time/increase in speed for the entire journey. However, the results were not to the expectations of the Railway Board. Only a marginal improvement with an average of 15 minutes reduction in journey times was noticed during the entire course of the experiment.

CR authorities later realized it's not viable to attach 2 WAP-7s for an end-to-end run with journey time improving by just 15 minutes. Hence, they withdrew the push-pull setup and reverted back to the banker attachment method to haul the train up the ghats!

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 5th June 2022 at 10:26. Reason: text missing
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 11:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
The WCAM 2/3 are very capable and proven workhorses
Not disputed. Even the 1.0 TSI gives 80% the performance of the 2.0 TSI for Indian road conditions, but that does not stop us craving for better power, newer and faster engines. She is the Queen, used to have dedicated WCM haulers with matching signature Queen livery, back in the day. So its just plain sad to see her being hauled by the non premium lot, no less on her birthday! This is nothing to do with the capability of WCAM.

Quote:
The DQ never ran with a Push-Pull arrangement
Never say never :-)... I distinctly remember that DQ ran with push-pull arrangement because a good friend of mine from Pune days ensured he was part of the trial and was excited to note the run was done in 150 minutes from VT to Shivajinagar. Here is a news article to that effect.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69347123.cms

Quote:
Only a marginal improvement with an average of 15 minutes reduction in journey times was noticed during the entire course of the experiment.
The article quotes the CR authorities mentioning 15 mins saved in just the Lonavala-Pune stretch alone. Now having left Pune many moons ago, I have no clue it if was a one time trial or more, but DQ did run with push-pull system saving 40 minutes end to end.

Last edited by SR-71 : 6th June 2022 at 12:17.
Old 6th June 2022, 11:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Final inspection of new LHB coaches of Deccan Queen. It will run from 22.6.2022.
Attached Thumbnails
The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-285611126_2832101776933648_3858763848080562241_n.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d1.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d2.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d3.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d4.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 6th June 2022 at 12:01.
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 12:06   #34
BHPian

On a lighter note, the external livery makes it look like a train that rolled in from Bangladesh Railways ... The blue is what she looks good in, IMHO.

Last edited by SR-71 : 6th June 2022 at 12:08.
SR-71 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Final inspection of new LHB coaches of Deccan Queen. It will run from 22.6.2022.
Yuck! This is what NID could come up with? Horrible livery!

Another thing: What's the need to write in big bold letters that it's a LHB coach, that it belongs to Mazgaon depot, etc? When are we going to grow out of banana republic mentality and think from *customer's* PoV? A traveller doesn't care if it's LHB rake, nor does he care about the coaching depot. If that information was needed, it could be painted in smaller letters at the back of the coach. Why on the sides and deface the coach??

That green and that pink all look so garrish!

Hopeless!

And this over-obsession (of Punekars especially, most Mumbaikar don't give a damn) with the DQ is so juvenile. It's just another train, as any other Indian train! What's the need to paint the DQ name so big, and in pink?!?!

Last edited by vharihar : 6th June 2022 at 13:09.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Never say never :-)... I distinctly remember that DQ ran with push-pull arrangement because a good friend of mine from Pune days ensured he was part of the trial and was excited to note the run was done in 150 minutes from VT to Shivajinagar. Here is a news article to that effect.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69347123.cms
I think it was the Pragati which was actually run in the Push - Pull mode.

Any saving in time by this mode can only be on the Karjat to Lonavala Ghat section as the need to have a halt at Karjat for bankers attachment can be avoided.

The other time saver will be between Lonavala to Pune where a WAP 7 can run at 130 while the WCAM is restricted to 105. But then this can be done by a single WAP too.

The problem with the new DQ is the livery, is a sentiment shared by a healthy percentage of railfans! Should have been the bezel less coaches.
Old 6th June 2022, 13:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
On a lighter note, the external livery makes it look like a train that rolled in from Bangladesh Railways ... The blue is what she looks good in, IMHO.

We can give IR some slack if this dressing up is for it’s 93rd birthday. I sincerely hope the large texts go away after the celebratory run.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 18:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Yuck! This is what NID could come up with? Horrible livery!

Another thing: What's the need to write in big bold letters that it's a LHB coach, that it belongs to Mazgaon depot, etc? When are we going to grow out of banana republic mentality and think from *customer's* PoV? A traveller doesn't care if it's LHB rake, nor does he care about the coaching depot. If that information was needed, it could be painted in smaller letters at the back of the coach. Why on the sides and deface the coach??

That green and that pink all look so garrish!

Hopeless!

And this over-obsession (of Punekars especially, most Mumbaikar don't give a damn) with the DQ is so juvenile. It's just another train, as any other Indian train! What's the need to paint the DQ name so big, and in pink?!?!

The big DQ name, LHB Branding is not permanently painted. It was pasted on it just for the ceremony. And whats wrong in having obsession about such old and legendary train? Back in old days DQ was kind of daily luxury commute for Pune - Mumbai-Pune. Ofcourse many people have memories attached to it. There is nothing wrong in obsession of things you love.
tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

As per schedule, the LHB Deccan Queen ready for its maiden journey.
Attached Thumbnails
The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d1.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d2.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d3.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d4.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d5.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 00:39   #40
BHPian

^^ What is EV1 ? I know C is AC Chair Car and E is Executive Chair Car, EV is new.. Vistadome ?
Old 24th June 2022, 07:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
^^ What is EV1 ? I know C is AC Chair Car and E is Executive Chair Car, EV is new.. Vistadome ?
Yes, that's correct. Those are Vistadome coaches which were in operation on DQ since last year.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 08:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
new LHB coaches of Deccan Queen
When I saw these coaches live first, the design was striking, but when I realised this was for the Deccan Queen, I felt that the old livery, pleasing to the eye, should have been retained; too late now.

I also see that the second seating chairs are not the 3+3 pushback but bench seats, probably to accommodate more passengers per seat. "Cut maarke baitho" (create half seats such that six passengers can sit on a three passenger bench) is what I've seen on the Flying Ranee.

Quote:
The blue is what she looks good in
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
This is what NID could come up with
Although the red and green looks different, I think we'd have expected something better from the Railways (who eventually approved this theme).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
need to have a halt at Karjat for bankers attachment can be avoided
Doing away with this halt is the only one way to save some time. I think even with this halt, the Mumbai - Pune run is still done in way better time than by road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I sincerely hope the large texts go away after the celebratory run.
I hope they do, but have my doubts. Like those large signs they put up aircraft eg. Emirates to mark some events or occasions, I think this one will also stay for sometime.
Old 9th March 2023, 06:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-77996d00988c4882b37493f8ac3ec61e.jpeg

Mumbai-Pune Deccan Queen Express was operated by all women crew, with Asia's first Woman Loco-Pilot, Smt Surekha Yadav, assisted by Sayali Sawardekar Asst. Loco Pilot and Train Manager, Smt. Leena Francis along with 6 Women Head TTEs today.
Credit: Central Railway.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 09:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

They should really "Vande Bharatize" the Deccan Queen albeit in some local colour instead of the wannabe Euro White look. In fact with so many VBs running, it could become too generic to be special. Hence the need to create a bespoke look based on region and the legacy of the brand (Deccan Queen).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th March 2023 at 09:47. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 9th March 2023, 12:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
They should really "Vande Bharatize" the Deccan Queen albeit in some local colour instead of the wannabe Euro White look.
They will have to develop a NON-AC version of the Vande Bharat for this, given that majority of the travellers on the DQ are in the NON-AC coaches (MST holders included). Also, with a provision for the dining car .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks