Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 10:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Indian Ambulances Thread

Related thread: Indian Police Cars

The Covid-19 pandemic has been wreaking havoc across the country and ambulances are in high demand. Many vehicles have been used as ambulances in India. But, before we get to them, here's a short description of the three types of ambulances that we have in the country.

Basic Life Support Ambulance:

These are used to administer medical care to victims of non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries until they reach the hospital where they can be given full medical care. Such ambulances have trained medical personnel, including emergency medical technicians, paramedics, and qualified bystanders. It contains essentials like a patient bed, a pulse oximeter and oxygen delivery devices. It can also come with auto-loading stretchers and wheelchairs.

Advanced Life Support Ambulance:

These are also known as the Cardiac Care Ambulance. They are equipped with a ventilator, defibrillator, oxygen cylinder, an electrocardiography (ECG) machine and a monitoring device. They are mainly used in the case of life-threatening emergencies including cardiac arrests and conditions which require providing oxygen and respiratory support to critically ill patients.

Patient Transport Vehicle:

These are used to transports patients to and from medical centres. They cater to non-urgent care, such as a visit to the hospital or a dialysis centre. For such instances of non-emergency treatment vans, buses or other vehicles may be converted into ambulances. They are equipped with a patient bed & other basic life-support devices.

Source: ZHL

Here's a list of vehicles that have been used as ambulances in the country.

Maruti Omni:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-omni.jpg

The Omni ambulance was extremely popular in our country a decade ago. The cars were cheap to buy, cheap to run and maintain, easy to drive due to their small size, and had loads of space.

Tempo Matador:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-matador.jpg
Image Source

The Matador was the first diesel powered light commercial vehicle in India. The vehicle was extremely popular and found a variety of applications ranging from school buses to ambulances.

Mahindra Supro:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-supro.jpg

Mahindra launched the Supra ambulance in June 2020. It has been built specifically to meet the requirements of the Maharashtra Government to fight the Covid-19 pandemic.

Tata Winger:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-winger.jpg

Both the first-gen as well as the second-gen Winger have been used as ambulances. In 2020, Tata donated twenty Winger ambulances to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). The vehicles have space for a single stretcher and comply with AIS 125 Part 1 norms.

Force Traveller:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-traveller.jpg

This is one of the most popular and common ambulances used in India. Some Traveller ambulances are designed to carry 6 medical staff and 4 patients.

Maruti Eeco:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-eeco.png

This is another popular ambulance seen on our roads today. The Eeco became more common after the Omni was discontinued by Maruti. It has loads of space on the inside making it a good choice as an ambulance.

Chevrolet Tavera:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-tavera.jpg
Image Souce

A Tavera ambulance is not as common as the ones listed above. However, I have seen a few hospitals using this vehicle. A hospital near my house in Bengaluru has a Tavera ambulance.

Maruti Gypsy:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-gypsy.jpg
Image Source

Lightweight and equipped with four-wheel, the Gypsy could be used on any terrain. It is used by the army, and even national parks. A Gypsy ambulance can be used in places with bad roads.

Mahindra Genio:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-genio.jpg

Mahindra built an ambulance based on the Genio, a pick-up truck based on the Xylo. It was available in two variants and came equipped with a rearview camera and an externally accessible oxygen tank.

Royal Enfield:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-royal-enfield.jpg

Royal Enfield built an ambulance based on the Classic 350 motorcycle for the CRPF. The bike has been developed keeping in mind the specific needs of security personnel, especially those posted in Maoist zones. It is equipped to evacuate and attend to the injured.

Chevrolet Enjoy:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-enjoy.jpg
Image Source

The Enjoy is not a popular choice with ambulance operators. The vehicle has long been discontinued. Even when the MPV was on sale, it was not very popular.

Mahindra Bolero:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-bolero.jpg
Image Source

The Bolero was India's best-selling SUV for a long time, thanks to its rugged appeal. Bolero ambulances are common in rural areas.

Mercedes-Benz W124:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-w124.jpg

There are quite a few Mercedes W124s used as ambulances in India. Even the presidential convoy had a W124 ambulance, which was found abandoned and is now being restored.

MG Hector:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-hector.jpg
Image Source

MG converted one Hector to an ambulance for Covid-19 patients. It was donated to the CHC hospital in Halol, Gujarat.

Bajaj Avenger:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-bajaj-avenger.jpg

Back in 2015, Bangalore got this "first responder" bike ambulance to reach the patients faster. The paramedics were trained to attend to the patients till a four-wheeled ambulance arrives.

ICML Extreme:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-icml.jpg

ICML launched an ambulance based on the Extreme MUV, which is a re-badged version of the Rhino. The ambulance is said to be engineered for reliability under trying weather and road conditions.

Polaris Ranger 6x6 800:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-polaris.jpg

Polaris teamed up with Bafne Healthcare to develop the Ranger 6X6 800. It is designed to ferry patients out of difficult terrains that are inaccessible for regular ambulances.

Hindustan Motors Oka:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-oka.jpg

The Oka came out of a collaboration between Hindustan Motors and OKA Motor Company, Australia, to manufacture a Rough Terrain Vehicle (RTV). It was powered by a 2.0L Isuzu diesel engine and equipped with leaf spring suspension.

Hero Xtreme 200R:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-hero.jpg

To help in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, Hero MotoCorp built a custom side-car bed for the Xtreme 200R. It is equipped with a full-stretcher with a foldable hood mounted on the side, essential medical equipment such as a detachable first-aid kit, oxygen cylinder, fire extinguisher and other safety features such as LED flasher lights, foldable beacon light, emergency wireless public announcement system, and siren.

Toyota Innova:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-innova.jpg
Image Source

Some hospitals used the Innova as an ambulance. Ambulance service providers need not worry about reliability if they have an Innova. However, I haven't seen many Innova Crysta ambulances. This is probably due of the high cost of the vehicle.

Ford F350
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-ford-f350.jpg

This well-equipped Ford F350 was imported into the country in June 2009 and was seen abandoned soon after. The ambulance is a completely self-sustaining mini-hospital. I am not sure of the condition of the vehicle now.

Mercedes Sprinter:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-sprinter.jpg

Very few hospitals use(d) an imported Mercedes Sprinter as an ambulance. This one belonged to Apollo Hospitals in Bangalore.

Swaraj Mazda:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-swaraj-mazda.jpg

Swaraj Mazda, now renamed as SML Isuzu, built ambulances which are used by hospitals as well as the Indian army.

Ashok Leyland Dost:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-dost.jpg

The Dost is a small commercial vehicle launched in 2011. It has multiple applications and has even been used as an animal ambulance.

Force Trax:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-force-trax.jpg
Image Source

The Trax is a popular people carrier in rural India. The vehicle has lots of space on the inside making it a good candidate for an ambulance as well.

Tata Sumo:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-sumo.jpg

Along with some private hospitals and ambulance service providers, the Sumo has been used as an ambulance by the Indian army.

Nissan Jonga:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-jonga.jpg

The Jonga was a popular vehicle used by the Indian army. A few of them were used as ambulances as well.

1938 Dodge Ambulance:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-dodge.jpg

This one's from the British era. Kolkata's Tollygunge Club has this 1938 Dodge ambulance.

Volkswagen Microbus:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-microbus.jpg

The vehicle pictured here is a 1966 Volkswagen Microbus. It is said to be an original factory-supplied ambulance. One Microbus ambulance was also seen in a movie.

Citroen 2CV:
The Indian Ambulances Thread-ambulance-citroen-2cv.jpg

This 1972 2CV was imported by St. Joseph's convent in Jolarpet, Tamil Nadu. It is used for medical camps in remote villages. It has a compartment with a sterilization box.

Air Ambulance:

As their names suggest, a patient is transported by an aircraft. These are useful when a patient needs to be moved from one city to another, or from a remote area of the country into a metropolitan space. Air ambulances are most used in case of medical tourism - when a patient needs to be moved to another country for medical aid. They can be useful in multiple situations including a trauma scenario, mass disaster or any other medical emergencies.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th July 2021 at 10:26.
ChiragM is online now   (48) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Indian Ambulances Thread

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:36   #3
BHPian

Fascinating thread and lovely pics. I mostly see the Omnis, Force and Boleros being used as ambulances and have never seen any of the Tata Winger or the Chevy variants.

I must say, ambulance / healthcare is really lacking in our country. The outrageous prices charged during Covid + lack of ambulances, even when dialing the hotlines, goes to show how poorly equipped we are as a nation.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quite an exhaustive list of current and former Ambulances you have there. But you forgot one (maybe 2), a Tata Motors candidate for challenging the Omni and Eeco Ambulances, the Tata Magic Ambulance launched in March 2021.

The Indian Ambulances Thread-screenshot_202107121216432.png
Image Source

And, it's former, more premium version (I guess), the Tata Venture Ambulance.

The Indian Ambulances Thread-screenshot_202107121224342.png
Image Source (Ideal Vehicle for an Indian Ambulance?)
AdityaDeane is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:35   #5
BHPian

Exhaustive list as always!

I recall seeing two more Mahindra models in our area which used to dominate the ambulance scene 15 years back, just before Omni, Eeco and Winger took over.

Mahindra Marshal (source):
The Indian Ambulances Thread-big4524.jpg

Mahindra Van (source (4x4 van)):
The Indian Ambulances Thread-image002.jpg
Researcher is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 15:37   #6
BHPian

This is a really comprehensive thread.

Two more examples that I can think of would be:

1. The Qualis Ambulance, similar to the Bolero/Tavera/Rhino Ambulance. These are not as common now, but I recall having seen them in the past.

The Indian Ambulances Thread-1image.jpeg

Image from OLX.

2. The Mahindra Scorpio Ambulance built by Prakash. Not sure how this would fare given the bumpy ride, body roll, and cramped interiors. Also, I've never seen these on the roads.

The Indian Ambulances Thread-dsc09048500x500.jpeg

Image from Indiamart

Last edited by TejasKinger : 12th July 2021 at 15:40. Reason: Deleting repeated information
TejasKinger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is an old Bedford Full size ambulance in Coimbatore Medical college campus. Don't have a pic though.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:55   #8
BHPian

KIMS Hospital in Trivandrum, Kerala have a Toyota Hiace as an ambulance. A rare find in this profile.

The Indian Ambulances Thread-untitled_design_7.jpg
Image from KIMS Hospital website.
northstar* is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 21:26   #9
BHPian

Here's are some oddballs that I doubt we'll ever get to see.

1. The Mahindra Voyager Ambulance

The Indian Ambulances Thread-etjwf2yxqaaiemi.jpg

Image courtesy the car brochure addict on Twitter

2. The Premier Padmini Ambulance built on the Premier Driveaway chassis

The Indian Ambulances Thread-116564983_2924236227686449_3504768076549737782_n.jpeg

Image courtesy a Facebook page which in turn circles back to Team-bhp

3. The Premier Sigma Ambulance (yes, the same Premier )

The Indian Ambulances Thread-premiersigmacarrierandambulance.jpeg

Image courtesy the Gomechanic blog.
TejasKinger is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 00:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A Toyota dealer in Ahmedabad by the name of Infinium had converted some base variant Crystas and were selling them at subsidised rates in Ahmedabad.

The Indian Ambulances Thread-4c19ee3fc41b4a67869fd3556b90e2f9.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 09:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Air Ambulance:

As their names suggest, a patient is transported by an aircraft. These are useful when a patient needs to be moved from one city to another, or from a remote area of the country into a metropolitan space.
India's first air ambulance service executed a real-time mock drill sometime back in 2020.
The Indian Ambulances Thread-mockdrillairambulance759.jpg
The Indian Ambulances Thread-hiliambulance759.jpg

Source:The Indian Express https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...drill-6219954/
Fateh Salim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
India's first air ambulance service executed a real-time mock drill sometime back in 2020.
Attachment 2178582
Attachment 2178581

Source:The Indian Express https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...drill-6219954/
By the way, the doctor in the second picture is robimahanta, a member of this forum. People may remember him as the one who accompanied and helped Dr.AD with the Jaguar i-Pace first-drive (Driven: Jaguar I-Pace Electric SUV) a couple of days ago.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Hero Xtreme 200R:
Attachment 2148457
To help in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, Hero MotoCorp built a custom side-car bed for the Xtreme 200R.
Is this for real ? Are there any pictures/videos of the real usage of this bike in action with a patient?

Don't think the Innova will find any traction with the ambulance market. Options like the Tempo Traveler and Tata Winger are far more cheaper and not to mention the extra space. The tempo traveler makes an excellent case of utilizing the space to install equipments than can be crucial in saving a life in the critical moments.

One vehicle I feel sorry for is the omni/eeco. I have seen way too many of those driving way too dangerously and those are not exactly suited for that. I wonder how the patient will feel being transported in a vehicle like subject to all that rough driving ?

Another issue I always wanted to ask is how ambulance drivers are trained ? Is there a course for that. Or can anyone with a drivers license just take on the roads. The newspapers these days have far too many incidents where there are accidents due to the fault of the ambulance driver. This is dangerous not just for other motorists on the road, but also for the occupants of the ambulance.

Last edited by TrackDay : 13th July 2021 at 13:28.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 15:23   #14
BHPian

A Thar ambulance made to go places where a regular ambulance can't.
The Indian Ambulances Thread-thar-ambulance.jpg
Source: Facebook - R&T Auto Catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
By the way, the doctor in the second picture is robimahanta, a member of this forum. People may remember him as the one who accompanied and helped Dr.AD with the Jaguar i-Pace first-drive (Driven: Jaguar I-Pace Electric SUV) a couple of days ago.

Cheers
Thanks for sharing this information.
Yes, certainly! A really fantastic group of folks this community has. Read about his bird hide photography, then the I-pace review, and finally a helicopter rescue operation drill. Wow, just wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Another issue I always wanted to ask is how ambulance drivers are trained ? Is there a course for that. Or can anyone with a drivers license just take on the roads. The newspapers these days have far too many incidents where there are accidents due to the fault of the ambulance driver. This is dangerous not just for other motorists on the road, but also for the occupants of the ambulance.
The driver must have completed 10th grade and obtained the requisite driver's licence and voila! you are an ambulance driver in India. However, in an ideal system, there a couple of formalities. Check out this page if interested.
Ambulance Driver Requirements
Fateh Salim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 15:26   #15
BHPian

I remember Mallya Hospital, Bangalore had 2-3 LHD Ford ambulances during 1996-97 similar to the one pictured below which might be the Ford E-350. I studied at the school next to the hospital and remember the siren was very loud and could be heard from a kilometer atleast. By the time i was in high school the ambulances were not seen. Not sure what happened to them.
Have only a reference picture from the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Ambulances Thread-d8065.jpg  

shady is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks