Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 14:41   #1
BHPian

Kerala MVD finds fault with International Caravan Travellers

Kerala MVD at it again, this time penalizes international caravan travelers under vehicle modification clauses. The tourism minister intervenes to clear up this mess.

Interestingly Kerala Govt. encourages caravan tourism, read links below.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le65262533.ece

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/90644084.cms
Thilak29 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 16:37   #2
BANNED

re: Kerala MVD finds fault with International Caravan Travellers

While I’m against vehicle modifications per se, there should be some use cases where we should be lenient. The problem is MVD are trying to follow the rules to the T, they had got lot of flak for letting modified vehicles run in Kerala state and lot of vehicles were impounded. If MVD didn’t take action against these vehicles, those owners whose vehicles were confiscated would have made a ruckus for sure.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 16:55   #3
BHPian

The right thing to do would have been when these caravans were introduced, they should have checked if they can ply on our roads. Any exception should have been considered then by govt keeping in mind the tourism aspects.

Why is it that in India we should also bow down to so called International caravans ?
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 17:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
The right thing to do would have been when these caravans were introduced, they should have checked if they can ply on our roads. Any exception should have been considered then by govt keeping in mind the tourism aspects.

Why is it that in India we should also bow down to so called International caravans ?
These caravans haven't been introduced in the Indian market, but rather seems to be brought in for touring purposes by the owners themselves who may have driven to India in these vehicles under a temporary tourist permit (or as maybe applicable).
Pretty much the same as as an Indian car doing a road trip to Thailand / Nepal or even the more popular London travelogues.

More likely to be the Kerala MVD not seeing such vehicles often, and given they're not sold officially - how does one quantify what is legal modification and isn't.

It's not bowing down per-se in my opinion as long as they have the required permits to bring their vehicles in and tour the country - I couldn't make that bit out in the video but I'm sure they would have done the necessary homework as this probably isn't the only country the caravans are visiting.
If the permits are in place, there is no reason for the MVD to create such a ruckus.

It's like one of us doing a India-Thailand roadtrip in an Indian vehicle : even something premium like the E Class - it is different from the vehicle sold in Thailand (we have the LWB, with different trims and options for all we know), and being stopped in Bangkok by the police for driving a vehicle that has been illegally modded as per Thai laws (though legal in India), despite having the permits and paying the requisite security deposit for bringing the vehicle into the country, etc.
Similar to the cars bought in under the carnet scheme from Dubai - since they're here for temporary means, they aren't required to be homologated or anything - just pay the required amount, get the permit and drive around for the specified period.
lamborghini is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 17:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post

These are driven to India from other countries, this is not a market introduction case so no point on the lines of "bow down" to anyone.
Thilak29 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 17:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It's like one of us doing a India-Thailand roadtrip in an Indian vehicle : even something premium like the E Class - it is different from the vehicle sold in Thailand (we have the LWB, with different trims and options for all we know), and being stopped in Bangkok by the police for driving a vehicle that has been illegally modded as per Thai laws (though legal in India), despite having the permits and paying the requisite security deposit for bringing the vehicle into the country, etc.
Similar to the cars bought in under the carnet scheme from Dubai - since they're here for temporary means, they aren't required to be homologated or anything - just pay the required amount, get the permit and drive around for the specified period.
True. It is like if we visit some foreign country, them punishing us for not doing compulsory military service, for not following their state religion or not talking their langauge. A carnet is a passport for a vehicle. Ofcourse, they can be punished for breaking traffic laws, but not for being there.

The MVD in Kerala has been over zealous to a great extent. Is it because these caravans came in a group? Cause there were other huge RVs based on some trucks that did cross country comfortably.
DicKy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 18:02   #7
BHPian

Kerala as state is in such bad cash crunched state and the govt will do anything to extort money. They are planning to introduce entry taxes to all non-KL registered vehicles entering the state.
Superleggera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 18:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Kerala MVD at it again, this time penalizes international caravan travelers under vehicle modification clauses. The tourism minister intervenes to clear up this mess.
Of all the MVDs, I expect KL MVD to be well aware of carnet vehicles. If they were being driven improperly, sure, challan/punish them by all means as necessary. Booking them for modification when they are in the country on a temporary basis just reeks of abuse of power.

But, good on the tourism minister to intervene and sort this out. Nice of him to help out the visitors!
Dry Ice is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 21:26   #9
BHPian

The MVD Officials - from top to bottom are just zombies, reading the rules and regulations only and not applying brains.
Are they technically qualified to review and assess the vehicle to be road compliant ? No ! They only understand that any vehicle manufactured and sold by the manufacturer is the ultimate and only fit to be on the road. Any modification, though done by much experienced organisation is deemed to be unacceptable. No one in the MVD wants to take responsibility for any change in them. So, for them their rules are their Bible - no change allowed.
Old 14th December 2022, 06:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

It seems only Kerala MVD has an issue with modifications. It’s ok if the ministers have 4 Roots Megasonic horns, extra lights or tinted glasses on their cars. I have heard these people creating issues even with Live to Drive stickers, idols stuck on dashboard etc. I have seen them measuring wheel track, just to see if the wheels are jutting out if you have installed aftermarket wheels. These people have become a joke. Nowadays whenever I visit Kerala, I prefer to use my dad’s Alto which is stock to the core. I used to have aux lights in my previous car, which I use to remove right at the border before entering Kerala.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 14th December 2022 at 06:54.
rakesh_r is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 11:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala MVD finds fault with International Caravan Travellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Kerala as state is in such bad cash crunched state and the govt will do anything to extort money. They are planning to introduce entry taxes to all non-KL registered vehicles entering the state.
Do you have any reference to the last claim you made?
binaiks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 11:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Do you have any reference to the last claim you made?
Here you go, link here (hope you can read Malayalam). I also have seen the transport minister repeating the same in one of the channels, but lost reference to it. I Don't think this is something that can be implemented, can be added to the current political chaos happening in Kerala.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 12:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Here you go, link here (hope you can read Malayalam). I also have seen the transport minister repeating the same in one of the channels, but lost reference to it. I Don't think this is something that can be implemented, can be added to the current political chaos happening in Kerala.
Seems like a terribly misinterpreted article (like most articles published by this media). Every vehicle owner is supposed to transfer their registration to the state where they reside, if staying for over 12 months. The minister did not announce a new rule mandating other state vehicles pay an entry tax as your original post claimed.

People, especially the super-rich, registering their super-luxury cars in states with low tax (like Puducherry) is a regular thing - and the minister's statement relates to that. Recently, I had even seen a premium car registered in Arunachal Pradesh (the owner lives regularly in Kerala)
binaiks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 10:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have heard these people creating issues even with Live to Drive stickers, idols stuck on dashboard etc.
Just wondering what's wrong with idols stuck in dashboards. Is it illegal?

Last edited by Aditya : 15th December 2022 at 15:50. Reason: Political bit deleted
HowardRoark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 10:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
Just wondering what's wrong with idols stuck in dashboards. Is it illegal?.
Safety aspect. It can come loose and move in between brake or accelerator pedals. You don't want that.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks