Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 15:08   #91
BHPian

Re: International Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Hello friends,

We are a family of 3 (couple in their 40s with a 12 year old daughter) looking to tour Australia (Tasmania) this May. Though we have been on vacations abroad a few times, I would like to gather the wisdom of the community here to approach things better if possible.

1. We would be booking tickets online through the Singapore Airlines website after choosing the dates of travel based on results from Google Flights. Is there anything we need to keep in mind while doing so?

2. We would also be flying regionally (Sydney - Launceston) and would be booking through the Jetstar website. Is there anything that international travellers need to keep in mind while booking regional flights (apart from size and weight restrictions of baggage, and add-on charges for checked baggage and seat selection)?

3. Which vendor is recommended to insure our travel (including lost baggage, inconveniences due to delayed flights and health)? Would this cover both international and regional flights, as well as our time in Australia?

4. Which travel card is recommended (to load AUD on and use locally in Australia)? We have used Axis Bank cards in the past, but have found them to reject transactions at times. They also had a cumbersome physical process to reload the card (at least back in 2018). But, they did have a good online interface to check balances and transactions.

5. My spouse and I are fully vaccinated against COVID, but our daughter, who turns 12 late April, isn't and won't be while traveling. Would this pose problems during travel (especially while boarding the flight back to India)?

Thank you for your help.
Will try to help on some of your queries from my past experience:

1. I also prefer booking directly on airline websites rather than through aggregators. Singapore airlines is a seamless website and should not be a problem. I generally keep a gap of 2.5 to 3 hours at Changi for Transit. Since your location says Bangalore, have you tried the Qantas non-stop between BLR and SYD ?

2. Jet star will charge heavily for any extra luggage (which you will have). I remember paying about 90AUD extra for baggage. Airports at SYD,MEL have very very long walks to the gates after checkin , please keep atleast an hour between your checkin at SYD and the boarding time. Another thing to note is during my hop on Jetstar from SYD to MEL we were not even offered a glass of water. So fill up your tummies before the flights.

3. Travel insurance we covered via New India Assurance.

4. I have generally used Thomas Cook cards. I prefer carrying 50% of my requirement in cash and 50% in cards.

5. I think the Indian government has now removed all requirements for people entering India. All other countries except India never asked for vaccination certificates for kids below 12. For India check updates on this website : https://www.newdelhiairport.in/.
If your kid is kid turns 12 this April then I think it is better to check with Australian embassy OR Singapore airlines on their latest vaccination policy. Their website currently states this "Travellers entering or leaving Australia do not need to provide evidence of vaccination status. However, if you are travelling by plane to Australia from China, including Hong Kong and Macau, the Australian Government requires you to undertake a COVID-19 test in the 48 hours before your scheduled departure date. ". Refer website : https://www.australia.gov.au/interna...parture%20date.

Lastly, do share your itinerary as it would be useful for fellow members here.

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 15:46   #92
BHPian

I need to travel to Moscow around end of April or early May, what I understand is, Aeroflot is the only direct airline flying from Delhi or anywhere in India right now. Other middle eastern players are flying but through Dubai or other Middle east hubs. My employer wants me to directly fly from New Delhi to Moscow on Aeroflot, I am sure it is the most economical as well as fastest. Anyone here who would like to add some experiences of Aeroflot or of any recent trip to anywhere in Russia, post Feb 2022 since the war began?
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 20:06   #93
BHPian

Need help on connecting flights at JFK:

Scenario: Landing at Terminal 1, international flight. Next domestic flight departs from Terminal 4 (separate PNR). What is the best option to change the terminals?

It is stipulated that clearing immigration and customs would be necessary at T1, and checked-in bags would have to carried to T4 departure, where they would be checked in again. A long-enough gap between the arrival and departure would be necessary (>4hours).

Thanks in advance!!

<<cross-posted from https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27575-yetiguide-airlines-airports-domestic-air-travel-74.html#post5495880>>
Old 6th March 2023, 21:02   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post

Scenario: Landing at Terminal 1, international flight. Next domestic flight departs from Terminal 4 (separate PNR). What is the best option to change the terminals?

It is stipulated that clearing immigration and customs would be necessary at T1, and checked-in bags would have to carried to T4 departure, where they would be checked in again. A long-enough gap between the arrival and departure would be necessary (>4hours).

Thanks in advance!!

<<cross-posted from https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27575-yetiguide-airlines-airports-domestic-air-travel-74.html#post5495880>>
JFK AirTrain would be the cheapest option but the closest station will probably require you to walk or take a short bus ride. Check on Google maps but if you have luggage best to take an Uber (use the App and not one of the scamsters who will approach you talking in Hindi! ). It should not be very expensive.
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 19:18   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
JFK AirTrain would be the cheapest option but the closest station will probably require you to walk or take a short bus ride. Check on Google maps but if you have luggage best to take an Uber (use the App and not one of the scamsters who will approach you talking in Hindi! ). It should not be very expensive.
Various JFK sites mention AirTrain station right outside T1 (but some sites mention ongoing construction). If that is available, it would be the best option...
Old 8th March 2023, 08:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post

Thanks in advance!!
Airtrain - ride it from T1 to T4. There is no shuttle bus service.

No need to take Uber or taxi - Airtrain is efficient and quick.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 11:46   #97
BHPian

Folks a question:
Have booked a couple of business class tickets for in-laws from Delhi to Sydney.
However, missed adding "Kumar" in father-in-laws' name...

So, the name on ticket is "Dxxxxx Pxxxx" instead of ""Dxxxxx Kumar Pxxxx" (on passport).

Would this be a problem?
Old 8th March 2023, 12:18   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Folks a question:
Have booked a couple of business class tickets for in-laws from Delhi to Sydney.
However, missed adding "Kumar" in father-in-laws' name...

So, the name on ticket is "Dxxxxx Pxxxx" instead of ""Dxxxxx Kumar Pxxxx" (on passport).

Would this be a problem?
For international travel, name on ticket must match the name in the passport exactly, or you will not be allowed to check in.

I have had experience of this. My name is very frequently mis-spelt because it is a variant of the common spelling. The travel desk in my office (which books ticket via an agent) says that if we notify the airline within 24 hours of booking, spelling mistakes can be corrected. And a few times, we have had to get corrections made.

Another time, when I was travelling with friends, one of my friends made a mistake while booking. We called the airline's customer service number and they corrected it. It was a bit of a hassle in terms of procedure, but it got done because we called them within a few hours of doing the booking.

Did you book directly with the airline? Call them right away. Some airlines might be OK with a dropped middle name - like in your case. Some airlines are not OK.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 16:18   #99
BHPian

Another one of those people whose first flight was an international one, when I started working. Eventful trip that, pre-911. Flew a Swiss DC-10 before both went out of service.

On return, there was a bomb scare on the plane and we got delayed by a day. All connections and food preferences went for a toss. Ended up surviving on bread/crossiant and juice, and landing in Delhi in the middle of a sweltering summer night without luggage. Then a 6 hour wait for the BLR flight with hundreds of mosquitos for company. Got the luggage after a week with all locks and zips broken.

Flown many airlines (Economy only) - Air India, Swiss, Lufthansa, United, Air France, Jet, Singapore, Cathay, Qantas, Oman Air, Etihad, Sri Lankan. Swiss, while it existed, was fabulous. Singapore is great.

Recently had a chance to fly Akasa Air and Air Asia domestically. Quite impressed with Akasa - no frills, but very efficient and clean. On the other hand, Air Asia felt like traveling on a mofussil private bus - what's with monetizing every sqft of space with ads? Quite a jarring experience if only for that.
Old 23rd March 2023, 14:58   #100
BHPian

Hi everyone, I hope experienced members can throw some clarity on my doubt.
I'm planning a European vacation for my parents and the last destination will be Prague, Czech Republic so the flight back home will be from Prague to New Delhi. There are no direct flights as per my research. However, there are flights via Istanbul, Dubai and Abu Dhabi that most definitely don't require transit visas. However just for planning's sake, I was also looking at flights via Warsaw, Poland and Frankfurt, Germany. Any idea whether flying via Warsaw/Frankfurt require that specific country's visa ? My parents will be having a valid Schengen visitor visa for the duration of the trip but I just wanted to know whether airport transits in the Schengen area require separate transit visas. Thanks !
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:30   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
Hi everyone, I hope experienced members can throw some clarity on my doubt.
I'm planning a European vacation for my parents and the last destination will be Prague, Czech Republic so the flight back home will be from Prague to New Delhi. There are no direct flights as per my research. However, there are flights via Istanbul, Dubai and Abu Dhabi that most definitely don't require transit visas. However just for planning's sake, I was also looking at flights via Warsaw, Poland and Frankfurt, Germany. Any idea whether flying via Warsaw/Frankfurt require that specific country's visa ? My parents will be having a valid Schengen visitor visa for the duration of the trip but I just wanted to know whether airport transits in the Schengen area require separate transit visas. Thanks !
Just out of curiosity, is flying out of poland/germany cheaper than the ME ? OR is the transit time lesser in these 2 places. what's the + point of transiting via poland/germany ?The reason i ask is 2 things :

1. Frankfurt is a huge transit place and you need to built in sufficient transit times.

2. God forbid, for whatever reason you get stuck in poland/germany i think communicating will be a problem as these are non-english speaking countries.

I personally would not prefer such transit options especially with family in tow.

I know i have not answered your original question, and have barged in with my own queries but thats how we learn from one another. apologies for that.

Regards
Diesel
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:37   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
.... I just wanted to know whether airport transits in the Schengen area require separate transit visas. Thanks !
If you have valid Schengen visa, there is no trouble. Plan a day or two in Frankfurt. You can look around the city and easily take a flight to India. Don't depend 100% on the German rail for reaching on time. They are sometimes delayed (quite badly). Plan in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
J...
2. God forbid, for whatever reason you get stuck in poland/germany i think communicating will be a problem as these are non-english speaking countries.
Disagree. Both Warsaw and Frankfurt can be easily navigated through English.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:40   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Just out of curiosity, is flying out of poland/germany cheaper than the ME ? OR is the transit time lesser in these 2 places. what's the + point of transiting via poland/germany ? I personally would not prefer such transit options especially with family in tow.
I'm not sure about the positives, it's just that the flight search results showed Warsaw/Frankfurt transit flights first hence my doubts. I'm in the process of making an itinerary and will book everything later. Only if I find huge differences in the flight prices and I get the Warsaw/Frankfurt fights for much cheaper will I proceed with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
If you have valid Schengen visa, there is no trouble. Plan a day or two in Frankfurt. You can look around the city and easily take a flight to India. Disagree. Both Warsaw and Frankfurt can be easily navigated through English.
Thanks ! As the trip is already roughly 30 days long, anything more would be a burden rather than leisure.
I agree with you. I've been to Munich and had no problems exploring the city or communicating with locals. Had an insane time at the BMW Welt. Regardless, Google translate has my back anywhere I go.
Yash390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 17:58   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Germany 'mega strike': Public transport network halted over pay. National Road & Rail strike. Affects 380,000 air travellers too. 2300 flights cancelled
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65083774
Quote:
Germany's transport network is at a near standstill as the country experiences one of the largest strikes in decades.

Staff at airports, ports, railways, buses and subways walked out shortly after midnight for a 24-hour stoppage.

Two of the Germany's largest unions are demanding higher wages to help their members cope with the rising cost of living.

There have recently been smaller walkouts by other public servants. The "mega strike", as it has been dubbed in local media, has affected commuter and regional trains operated by Deutsche Bahn, Germany's national rail operator.

Local transport services, including trams and buses, are also not operating in seven states.

The unions together have a membership of around 2.8 million.
Not a good sign for any country least of all Germany known for its discipline. This comes on top of the numerous instances of delays, cancellations and strikes at Lufthansa. Clearly the medium term cracks caused by the Ukraine war and destruction of the Nordstream pipeline are bright and visible.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 27th March 2023 at 18:00.
Old 27th March 2023, 20:57   #105
BHPian

Which flight do I book?

A few days ago, I had posted a query regarding the upcoming vacation to Australia with my wife and daughter (12 years). I received a very useful response from Dieseltuned.

I am now finalising itinerary and have decided on a roundtrip to Sydney from Bengaluru.

I have two options:

1. Flying Qantas:
- Cost: Rs. 222,00
- Direct flight to Sydney
- We would be flying out of Bengaluru on Friday. Their flights depart on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday (from both BLR and SYD).

2. Flying Singapore Airlines:
- Cost: Rs. 255,000
- Flying to Sydney via Changi with a ~5.5 hour layover onward and ~2.5 layover return
- flexible dates

Singapore Airlines is rated better than Qantas (WRT food, inflight entertainment etc.), and they have frequent flights to Singapore and Sydney.

My question has to do with overbooking, especially on the onward journey. In case we get bumped to the subsequent flight (the next day for Qantas, the same day or the next day for Singapore Airlines), we would lose about a day or so of the trip. So, I am guessing we would still be okay (since our accommodation at Sydney is for two days). Would this be a reasonable risk to take to go ahead with the Qantas booking, thereby saving about Rs. 33000? Or, should I book Singapore Airlines since they might stick to the schedules better, or can arrange for alternate aircraft faster in case of delays?

Of course, we will try to web check-in as soon as the window opens in order to increase chances of landing boarding passes and thus confirmed seats.

Last edited by dearchichi : 27th March 2023 at 20:58.
dearchichi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks