Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 12:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

hey canter was the old name for These trucks from Eicher [when it was Mitsubishi] as they had only one model than...now they have a big range hence the numbering.As for A.L.L ecomet etc, these are quit heavy and maybe thats why they are not used in 5tone category by most of the people, initially they had problems with brake and tire durability ,may be they have rectified it now. as for engine they are comparable to most in the market, but when the time comes , parts are expensive. so when looking for value the scale tips toward other trucks. And since your requirement is highway and urban than why are you looking at these models they are mostly use where road conditions are bad [no roads], at least down here in goa, maharastra, karnataka. In fact now even in mining sector eicher has over taken A.L.L. in reliability ,tire life and fuel efficiency.
Also go in for the 10.95 model as it comes with air brake and not hydrolic brakes as no 10.90, these are quit effective when truck is loaded.
Old 19th July 2007, 12:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Canter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Any idea about Canter?
Are you asking about the MITSUBISHI CANTER? They are no more named that way - they are simply named Eicher only. The original MMC Canter is the Eicher 10.60.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on maintenance???
i really dont know the difference between the cost of spares between Eicher but if kept nicely the Leylands are generally troublefree. We own H.M, Tata, Leyland(5 yr. old) CNG buses...
Old 21st July 2007, 02:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

After your bad experience you may not want to go in for one again but in this segment its tata all the way,its sales figures are somewhat close to a whopping seven times its nearest rival[mahindra and mahindra].Ashok leyland seems non-existant with only 2 vehicles being produced this month and both not being sold.

Let me put it in terms of numbers
Quote:
Sales for June 2007:

Tata -> 1427
Ashok Leyland -> 0
Force Motors -> 15
Eicher Motors -> 197
Mahindra and Mahindra -> 209
Swaraj Mazda -> 181
PS: Figures from SIAM.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 21st July 2007 at 02:24.
Old 21st July 2007, 09:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

These numbers include all the vehicle sold in that segment [5-7 ton]and below that and also arm forces included[ if any] tata has the biggest range , Also Indica is sold in high numbers but does that mean it good? [ I own one], tata are giving some good deals on them in rains as they want to keep up in numbers, they have cut down on production by 20% officially last month.[ when they launched wigner and the new ace].
Also tatas are low on mileage front as compared to Eichers is this segment [low power engine] in transportation business this is highest priotrity, apart from maintenance and tire life.....By the M&m do not have any thing in 5ton category....
Old 21st July 2007, 11:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These numbers include all the vehicle sold in that segment [5-7 ton]and below
Nope I have specifically checked and ensured only vehicles[goods carriers] between 5-7.5 tonne. Yes the armed forces may be there too and am unable to filter that figure.

These where just sales figures was not talking about quality,and I think with regards to ashok leyland have made a mistake no vehicle[goods carrier 5-7.5 tonnes] was manufactured in this category,so check if they are actually available for sale.

M&M is present in this 5-7.5 tonne category.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 21st July 2007 at 11:43.
Old 21st July 2007, 13:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here's the mahindra vehicle range:

1>. Mahindra Loadking pride 6T [approx 6 ton]
2>. Mahindra Loadking super[approx 6 ton]

KS GROUP, Jaipur - Ford, Mahindra, TVS, Tafe.
Old 21st July 2007, 19:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, if that SIAM info is from an online source.
Can u give the linky??
Old 27th November 2010, 20:31   #24
BHPian

Has Eicher been taken over by Volvo?
Old 7th December 2010, 23:35   #25
BHPian

In the 5-7t GVW category there are many products available in the market. Tata has 407 SFC, 407 LPT, 709 SFC and 709 LPT. Eicher has 10.59, 10.59XP and 10.75. Swaraj Mazda has Sartaj and Prestige. Mahindra has Loadking and Force Motors has Strong.

In terms of best one- Eicher products are the best one's.
Old 8th December 2010, 10:27   #26
BHPian

Re: 5-7 tonner

Yeah stay away from Tata. I sold my 407 in 7 months. We are having DCM Toyotas from more than 16 yrs. Now they have stopped DCM So shifted to Eichers...
Old 8th December 2010, 15:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Should be sort of trouble free, Engine was there in the market from long time back.. starting from VFJ jongas'
Well actually, the starting point of the H 4 engine in the market wasn't the VFJ Jonga but AL's own light truck that was named CHEETAL. It was meant to compete with Tata 807 (Tata 495 engine, bore 95 MM, stroke 120 MM) but somehow didn't do well in the market. I saw it at Pragati Maidan in either 1988 or 1989. I even saw one or two on the road, in regular use. It did not come with factory fitted cab or body but just the chassis and front end cowl. That way, even 807 wasn't offered with factory fitted cab & body.

Jonga fitted with H4 was offered for sale only in mid 1990s.

Quote:
3 yrs back we also got Tata 407(i think) and it turned out to be night mare. We had to open the engine in 6th month itself so sold it after couple of months as it was always trouble some.
Quote:
Yeah stay away from Tata. I sold my 407 in 7 months. We are having DCM Toyotas from more than 16 yrs. Now they have stopped DCM So shifted to Eichers...
The market doesn't seem to share your view and regards the 407 as a reliable workhorse. May be you were unlucky to get a bad piece. Within a year of its introduction, 407 was selling more units than the combined sale of DCM-Toyota, Swaraj Mazda, Eicher Canter and Allwyn Nissan, all of which were introduced in the market before 407. It continues to be a popular model even today. These days on Delhi roads you even see CNG 407s. 407's engine is also used in 207 and Victa DI. The now discontinued Safari 3.0 also had CRDI version of 407 engine.

Last edited by directinjection : 8th December 2010 at 15:37.
Old 9th December 2010, 08:41   #28
BHPian

I believe, you should decide between an Eicher10.95 or AL Ecomet912 Smart.
In terms of fit & finish Eicher is better. Cost of spares are almost equal, but Eicher it will be widely available. Both offers good mileage. If its highway operation go for AL Ecomet else go for Eicher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks