Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2023, 12:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why is there no internet in domestic flights?

Emirates has been providing internet for a long time and it is free if you level up in their loyalty program. I find it quite useful in long haul flights. It’s applicability on domestic routes within India faces certain limitations. Given the brief cruising times of most domestic flights, typically under two hours, the utility of in-flight internet becomes relatively constrained, particularly considering its restriction during takeoff and landing phases.

Moreover, the Indian domestic aviation sector is notably price-sensitive, and the prospective volume for a service priced at, for instance, 500₹ per hour appears to be inherently minimal. For airlines like Indigo, which have identified lucrative opportunities in on-board food and beverage sales, prioritizing overpriced sandwiches aligns with their profit-oriented strategy.Their F&B profit margins surpass those of traditional food and beverage establishments, emphasising the airline's focus on revenue optimization through alternative avenues.

Why is there no internet in domestic flights?-img_2139.jpeg
robimahanta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 12:17   #17
BHPian

It's very expensive.

Having internet connectivity for about 200 people somewhere around 30000feet up in the atmosphere moving at about 800 kph through satellite is very expensive, providing it for free is not feasible, if charged there will be few takers, not worth the investment for retrofit on older aircrafts.

I am a sailor, so the above is based on my experience.

In 2019 we were paying USD 12.00 for 50 MB of data. Average monthly useage per person used to be about 500 MB per month.

Slowly it changed to 200 MB per week of free data to around 500 MB per day of free data.

Some shipping companies provide unlimited free internet, but the speed is very low and I am talking about only around 25-30 people sharing the bandwidth.

The ships built in the last 3-4 years have better equipment and can handle higher bandwidths.

Internet on aircrafts and ships is provided mainly for operational requirements and in the latest ones, there is a lot of data about the craft/ship which is collected and transferred to shore on continuous basis hence the requirements for high speed internet equipment.

If internet becomes a regulatory requirement it will be implemented anyhow.

My present employer provides about 2GB of free data per month.

The internet speed is not so good and we use all sorts of tricks to conserve data.

With data restrictions we mostly use our phones, Android phones are preferred over iPhone as Android provides applications like "No Root Firewall" to restrict the applications from using any data, including the system.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th December 2023 at 07:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
Brumby is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:11   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Its not just not available on Indian Carriers but its not even available on foreign carriers when they are in Indian airspace.
This is due to the current laws in India (according to the Singapore airlines IFE info). I used SIA to fly to SE Asia last week and noticed while returning that the internet abruptly stopped working as soon as we entered Indian Airspace. I read the information and talked to the FA and found out that the laws do not allow anyone to offer internet access within Indian Airspace currently.
chandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 18:36   #19
BHPian

1. I prefer to remain disconnected, feels like a relief after constantly going through notifications and mails and such. Gives time to think about stuff, definitely feels better mentally.

2. You don't want hundreds of people making calls, having meetings, playing videos etc in such tight space. It's manageable on buses and trains because of the high ambient noise, will make life hell in planes
Burgman_tales is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 18:42   #20
BHPian

For me, being able to watch a movie with zero notifications on my phone is simply priceless. Reading this thread is quite scary as it looks like we might actually get internet on the flight soon. And people would schedule a teams call mercilessly when I am on the flight!
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 00:37   #21
BHPian

It's a matter of when, not if.

While I'd love to have a force disconnection for a few hours every now and then, I'm sure this won't last too long - we are less than a few years away from this taken for granted peace to end.

But, when it happens, I can imagine some scenarios:

- non stop yapping of uncles and aunties on calls at full volume. Like how ISD calls require you to scream so your voice reaches the other end of the planet, screaming is necessary for the voice to reach your near and dear ones far away at sea level.

- employees working at the big 4 (and many more) will be mandated by their HR policies to be online and work in those hours. The company will be happy to foot the bill. Eventually, it won't be acceptable to be unavailable wherever you are.

- my mom will probably get a call from me while she's flying, asking where do we keep spare car keys or something.

Last edited by sidoxic : 29th December 2023 at 00:39. Reason: Typos and formatting
sidoxic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 09:06   #22
RMN
BHPian

I believe its just a matter of time but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not having internet leads to such a colossal waste of time.
...I cant agree with this.
Old 29th December 2023, 11:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

One unintended party salivating at the thought: mobile device makers and their expensive 'care' offerings.

Constricted space, devices sharing the same flimsy tray table with beverages in flimsier containers as they're passed around, tell me that isn't a disaster (for the traveler) and a money-spinner (for the device maker) waiting to happen.

I can practically hear Apple Care and Samsung Care cash registers go ka-ching.

P.S. Anyone who thinks they can use a laptop in Economy without getting into an elbowing match must be a world-class contortionist.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 13:07   #24
BHPian

Flights are my only mode of solace, in an otherwise hectic work schedule. Absolutely value the flight time, when I'm disconnected from the universe. Ofcourse, internet services in the flight would prove to be an utility for those who are in need of it; but I for one, will stay away. For me, taking a nap on the plane is of utmost priority, always!
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 11:51   #25
BHPian

I would strictly vote against this change, specially on Domestic flights.
When this happens, employees will be forced to use that period for internet against their wish, plus, we're already pushing boundaries of using infrastructure for non-productive usage.
Tell me that 80% of the passengers will use the internet for enhancing knowledge on Wikipedia? or Britannica?
We know it won't happen.

Even if it happens abroad, its a waste of

At best, I'd encourage an emergency phone service or emergency wifi on request basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am flabbergasted that the internet - now accepted by law as a fundamental right - is unavailable in flights? Not having internet leads to such a colossal waste of time.
Humble apologies if I sound rude, but your statement sounds like something like a first world citizen's complaint. Something of which a meme can be made in India at least(I sincerely hope no one does that).

It also sounds something like, "food is a fundamental right, so why am I, the student, not allowed to eat food during exams?"

Its been announced a fundamental rights for bigger reasons, so that marginalised communities and societies have a voice in the world. Using it in a debate to make internet compulsory during a xx-hour flight sounds to a degree, funny or insensitive.

NOTE: I'm clearly not aware of internet offered in flights abroad, or how it works.
There are 2 directions it can go:- transmission from earth, or from satellite. If it comes from satellite, the satellite itself will relay signals from the Earth for this purpose.
So much for making that status update... I know I'm generalising, but we all know.

No matter how wireless we are, the underlying infrastructure is always wired at a level.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 30th December 2023 at 12:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks