Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2023, 09:44   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Why is there no internet in domestic flights?

Why is there no internet in domestic flights?-screenshot-20231227-094000.jpg
Source

I am flabbergasted that the internet - now accepted by law as a fundamental right - is unavailable in flights? Not having internet leads to such a colossal waste of time.

- Many International flights offer internet access. Many domestic flights in foreign countries offer internet access.

- It's a win-win for passengers & airline carriers, both. The latter are known to nickle & dime you for every small convenience (fast-track check-in, peanuts, excess weight, emergency row seats, water bottles etc.) and thus, they'd be salivating at the thought of charging for internet access in flights.

- For passengers, internet access can make a 2-hour flight seem shorter, by keeping you busy (work or play). Use it for emails, social media, research, chatting or replying on Team-BHP threads, internet on flights will significantly improve the flying experience.

So, why is internet connectivity not offered on flights? And when can we expect this to change? What's holding India back?
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 10:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why is there no internet in domestic flights?

Only a matter of time looks like.

https://m.timesofindia.com/business/.../106163623.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Why is there no internet in domestic flights?-img_9764.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th December 2023 at 10:30.
itwasntme is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 12:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure why, but it does mean existing airplanes need to be retrofitted with the necessary kit. A mate of mine works for an American company that does this. https://avionica.com/

They have been very busy for a very long time. Most new planes are kitted out with the necessary equipment from the factory these day. If the owner ticks the necessary boxes at the order of course.

It is a substantial investment, especially on older planes. I don't know to what extend airlines can make money out of offering internet services.

I also wonder when will we run into capacity problems. The bottleneck being the satellite connection. It has very limited capacity compared to the sort of connections we are using on the ground for our internet.

In all my many years of flying I have used the internet only once. Just to try it out. With a very busy schedule on the ground my hours on a plane were precious. Only place where nobody could reach me! I made it a rule to never ever work on a plane. I read, watch a movie, if necessary in my load, sleep and relax.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 16:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

I for one don't miss it. Few hours of not being connected is a nice feeling.
deathwalkr is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 17:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The fact that most of the high traffic domestic routes in India I think will be under 3 hours. Taking away all the take off and landing time, the cruising time maybe well under 2 hours in most of the cases. Maybe just not worth the effort to retrofit the needed equipment on to the planes.

Personally would prefer it does not happen. If a person wants to watch /hear something, it can be downloaded Any work/ documentation you can always do it offline. I personally enjoy the time. Either read a book or download some music and listen to it. It is a good feeling that no one can reach you for 2-3 hrs.

Enabling internet on planes will just result in people doing phone and WhatsApp video calls throughout the flight. Imagine 200 people chatting away on the phone in close proximity. I don't want that.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 27th December 2023 at 17:38.
Rajeevraj is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 18:39   #6
BHPian

As per my understanding, Satcom spectrum allocation modalities for Indian companies for Indian Carriers has just been discussed and put up for house’s approval. I think by February 2024 the bill will be passed in Rajya Sabha. Once done , I am sure we will have internet options in local flights by next year.

At the moment companies like Nelco provide Setcom communication to foreign carriers flying over Indian sky.
Satkaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 18:47   #7
BANNED

Also, these services may have to be paid for, since you are changing the link frequently. So the server may have to be in the plane. At one time the mobiles and computers had to be off (you have an airplane mode on all mobiles) at all times. Now mobiles are allowed except on landing & take off. Remember the number of live posts and pictures from the 9/11 attack. Today we are far ahead of the US in telecom. So let us wait and see.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th December 2023 at 18:57. Reason: As requested
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 19:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Enabling internet on planes will just result in people doing phone and WhatsApp video calls throughout the flight. Imagine 200 people chatting away on the phone in close proximity. I don't want that.
I believe as per aviation safety rules and intrusion into privacy matters, voice and video calls are currently not allowed by nearly all regulators. Cost and bandwidth is also a huge factor too.

BUT, dear Eloo could revolutionise & broadbase it with his SpaceX based StarLink service in a few years to come.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/94977346.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th December 2023 at 19:08.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 20:15   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Most of us (including me) are much addicted to the internet (TeamBHP anyone?) and are perpetually twiddling about on Whatsapp and Toggling between email accounts and all that. Therefore, while I am on a flight, I vastly prefer to be disconnected completely and would very much rather just read something or sleep.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 21:04   #10
Team-BHP Support

It's about current laws; now these are being changed, the retrofit will be a pain and expensive. When most people don't want to pay for seats, how many will be willing to pay for internet on short flights we have?

Many of the airlines, globally too, get limited customers. Some of these, like AirCanada, now offer complimentary messaging (WhatsApp/ Apple message) for their frequent fliers. On international flights, this can be a big deal, but I'm not so sure about domestic flights.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 21:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satkaj View Post
As per my understanding, Satcom spectrum allocation modalities for Indian companies for Indian Carriers has just been discussed and put up for house’s approval. I think by February 2024 the bill will be passed in Rajya Sabha. Once done , I am sure we will have internet options in local flights by next year..
Not sure, but isn't what you are referring to satellite communications as an alternative to terrestrial communication? I don't think satellite communication on board of planes comes under these local (Indian) directives. At least I haven't seen any reference to aircraft satellite communication.

Satellite communication aboard planes is regulated by international treaties I believe. I could be wrong, it has been a while since I looked into this.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 21:47   #12
BHPian

Satcom is going to change in India and around the world in next 5 to 10 yrs. It is at a ne scent stage at the moment. Starlink is a biggest player and have just got permission to launch their services in India. Kupiar of Amazon, One web of Airtel , Telset with Tata Nelco and Jio with another partner are planning on LEO( LOW EARTH ORBIT) satellite in time to come. All these companies are eying not only indian but global market.
There will be thousands of satellites flying around 500 kms above earth giving all of us uninterrupted network in any corner of the world. Most of new phones are now been designed to receive direct network signal from satellites .

Trust me , Satcom will be next big thing in time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Not sure, but isn't what you are referring to satellite communications as an alternative to terrestrial communication? I don't think satellite communication on board of planes comes under these local (Indian) directives. At least I haven't seen any reference to aircraft satellite communication.

Satellite communication aboard planes is regulated by international treaties I believe. I could be wrong, it has been a while since I looked into this.

Jeroen
https://www.cnbctv18.com/earnings/ne...290531.htm/amp

Yes.I do mean satellite communication which policy now is under consideration and being framed to open up for world players . Policy will also pave way for inflight commercial communication. You can just google and will get many videos/ interviews about future prospects of companies like Nelco/ Airtel and Jio awaiting policy clarity from Indian Govt which is expected to be cleared by mext year.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th December 2023 at 12:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Satkaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 10:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I for one don't miss it. Few hours of not being connected is a nice feeling.
I agree. Driving and flying are two times when we can be really switched off from the world. IT would be great option to have internet as an option but I will probably try to avoid being connected.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 12:02   #14
BHPian

I'm just hoping for Indigo to add a USB port to the seats. That would be a significant upgrade before even dreaming about internet. If anyone does it though, it's going to be Vistara. Hate the fact that Indigo has all the best slots across most airports and you're forced to fly with them even if you don't want to.
siren373 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 12:06   #15
BHPian

While traveling to USA / Mexico through USA ( by taking flights of United and Lufthansa from the internet was available for a cost of roughly 20-25 USD. It was very convenient since the Mumbai - Newark was a direct flight close to 17 hrs of fly time. These airlines have no issue providing the service.

Vice Vera while taking flight from Pune to Delhi ( mostly Indigo ); they did not offer any service to get internet. Different answers at different times -
- we do not have facility for the internet service
- not in our policy.
- Due to signals disturbances for the pilot ( most unique answer ).

Cheers

Last edited by Guru_Shikhar : 28th December 2023 at 12:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks