Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2024, 19:37   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Of course, when moving ahead, you put the engine astern. But nothing happens like a car brake.

And you have to learn to handle your boat with lines from the shore.

You have to learn... a lot!

(Jeroen, you probably gave all the vital statistics near the beginning of the thread: can you remind us how long she is and what is the displacement? )
Just add a little. Single engine motorboats respond differently going ahead and astern. This is due to the propellor not only pushing the vessel forward but also pushing the stern across perpendicular to the ship centre line.

Sailing yachts tend to suffer less of this effect due to their keel.

This effect is most profound in reverse. It is known as the wheel action. You can think of the propellor also acting as a wheel. So if you have a right hand propeller, most common, in reverse it will turn left, anti clockwise and move the stern to port.

Also, using throttle and rudder at no or very slow speeds gives a very different response.

At no speed, rudder hard starboard and a dip on the throttle will start pivoting Sirion almost on a dime. Doing it the other way the effect, again due to the propellor characteristics, is less.

So when you need to turn in a narrow canal, you should really be familiar with the manoeuvring characteristics of your boat. Right hand propellor boats can be turned very sharply clockwise. But that usually means you need to ensure you are keeping to the port side of the canal. Which is the wrong side!

Some data on Sirion
Length on the waterline 9.35m
Length overall 9,79m
Width 3,40m
One dieselengine. yanmar 100 HP
Displacement 3500-4000 kg
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 21:26   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Have used and enjoyed that wheel effect when coming alongside, to tuck the stern in. First thing I used to check with a strange boat: that the prop rotates in the expected direction. Taking sharp turns, though, is another level altogether!

You must have discovered a lot already, in your first outings and passage. Of course, like a new car, one has to.

Very satisfying
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 12:45   #78
BHPian

Beautiful as always, your attention to detail and ability to keep finding and resolving minor niggles (before they become major!). Ships like the ladies (we could easily say in pre-feminist world) are high on maintenance and therefore the she/ her. Love the manual reading advice - it will hold all who hear in good stead and I can vouch for that.
Neat layout to have a mini-kitchenette next to the Command post! Keeps you on the watch while making that quick cuppa! I'm sure you have means to secure all the loose utensils while doing all the manoeuveres you are planning Happy sailing!
Freespirit27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 14:24   #79

Great to see boat lovers in the forum!

I have sailed around the world a couple of times in sailboats. Quite an experience.
antony5279 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 19:40   #80

Quote:
But that is only the beginning. The actual control and manoeuvring is very different to a car. This is a matter of practice, more than memory. Add other factors such as wind and current. Imagine driving on a road that itself is moving. It may be forwards or backwards. Or sideways. Or any angle. Learning this stuff is never-ending --- and great fun. I love making a boat move sideways across a current: imagine being able to park a car like that!
You mean, by engine and steering controls ? isn't it tad difficult with single prop ? I mean, very less margin to do anything unless it's absolutely glassy waters. would love little more eloboration on this sir !

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th March 2024 at 20:04.
raghavrayudu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 21:38   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I love making a boat move sideways across a current
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavrayudu View Post
You mean, by engine and steering controls ? isn't it tad difficult with single prop ? I mean, very less margin to do anything unless it's absolutely glassy waters. would love little more eloboration on this sir !
It's a manoeuvring thing, so one is not likely to want to do this in open water. Compare leeway, which is very unwanted sideways movement!

Is it difficult? No not really. Imagine you are on a river. You are facing upstream.

1. If you make your boat speed equal to the current, over the ground, the boat is standing still.

2. Turn the boat slightly to the left, increase the speed slightly, the boat will move towards the left bank, jetty etc, but still not making way upstream. Straight into your "parking" space.

It's just a matter of vectors. But done by feel, rather than on paper.

As to doing with a single prop, I've never had more than one. Never had Jeroen's fancy bowthruster. And I used to do this with a rowing boat on the River Thames, regularly.

Kicking the stern in: of course, (I think Jeroen mentioned) it only works one way. On the other side, you just have to make sure you don't need to. And of the bow ends up sticking out, there is not much you can do about it, unless you have a bowthruster. (or a rowing boat)

Actually, unless you are single handed, you probably have someone on the jetty by then, and you dignity is in their hands
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 10:47   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I took Sirion out to get some bunkers. Bunker is the nautical term for fuel. Bunkering means filling up with fuel.

You have to plan your fuel, as the number of bunker stations is somewhat limited. Sirion can carry 330 liters and I was down to 220. That would still get me a long way. An average fuel consumption of 2,5 l an hour and a speed of 10 km/h means almost 900 km range.

But I am an old ocean-going salvage tug man whenever you have the chance get your bunkers filled. You never know what might happen.

I have three bunker stations near to us. One is all the way up the river Linge, at the marina in Geldermalsen. As speed is very limited on the Linge, this is really a day trip. It's about 50 km back and forth, but never more than 9 km/h and stretches with only 5 km/h.

The nearest one is at another Marina, at the river Waal. Sleeuwijk. I know this marine really well. As it is also one of the places I tend to pick up the ferry to Gorinchem when I am out on my bicycle.

I choose to go for my Third option, the bunker station at Werkendam. About 14 km one way.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-screenshot-20240326-05.42.03.jpeg

I choose it for two reasons. I wanted to get a feel for the current on the river Waal/Merwede. Also, there is a ship chandler. I wanted to see if they might have another shore cable.

So I cast off at around 09.45 and followed the river Linge to Gorinchem.

This is a very familiar bridge for us. The motorway A15.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt107.jpg

I took down the mast only once. In theory, I had a 10 cm clearance, but I am not risking breaking my VHF antenna. Soon I found myself outside the Merwede Locks. They told me another ship was about to leave the lock and they would ready the locks for me ASAP.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt108.jpg

I must have passed this bridge on my bicycle and cars about a zillion times. For those familiar with Dutch Geography and Dutch notorious traffic jams: The Merwede Bridge in the A27 Motorway at Gorinchem.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt109.jpg

The river Waal is the busiest river in Europe, 24/7 365 days of a week barges are moving up and down the river. The Waal becomes the Merwede just east of Gorinchem. Trust the Dutch not to leave any body of water untouched.

Another familiar sight; is the brand new electrical ferry or pontje as we call them, carrying foot and bicycle passengers only. These are catamarans and move at well over 25 km/h.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt110.jpg

I made my way to the bunker station without any incidents. Had to dodge one massive barge that was going to overtake me, whilst turning into the Beneden Merwede, as I had to continue on the Nieuwe Merwede. I called him on the radio earlier to check his intentions. He never responded. So I slowed down and let him overtake me. Better safe than sorry.

Tied up at the bunker station. As soon as I had my mooring lines fastened, this barge came reversing out of one of the other harbours.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt113.jpg

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt114.jpg

Werkendam is a very busy harbour with always at least 2-3 dozens of barges moored. There are also various ship yards and ship repair facilities. It is also the entry to the Biesbosch, via, yet another lock, for pleasure craft.

De Biesbosch National Park is one of the largest national parks in the Netherlands and one of the last extensive areas of freshwater tidal wetlands in Northwestern Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bie..._National_Park

The Biesbosch is high on our list of potential trips with Sirion. Stay tuned.

Back to bunkering:

Opened up my diesel tank:

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt112.jpg

Added some of this special diesel treatment stuff. It is supposed to prevent bacteria growth.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt111.jpg

There was nobody present when I arrived. Just a sign with a mobile number. When I called it, it was not working. So I called the ship Chandler, which happens to be the same company. They apologized and sent somebody over.

You always have to put the nozzle into the tank yourself!. The bunker station does not take any responsibility for it. It is not unheard of diesel being pumped into say the fresh water tank. So they leave the selection of tanks to the ship crew.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt115.jpg

Sirion took about 120 litres of diesel. I checked the dial and took a sounding of the tank. We have about 320 litres of diesel on board.

I walked over to the ship Chandler. Nice shop, that caters primarily for professional shipping. They did not have a shore power cable that would fit. So back at Sirion, I ordered the correct one straight away.

With the diesel tank cap closed again, I started the engine, cast off and began the short journey back home again.

Werkendam caters for fairly sizeable ships, including these seagoing coasters you see here.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt116.jpg

Back onto the Merwede. On the journey down to Werkendam I had noticed a considerable current. About 3-3.5 km/h. I calculate the current by checking my RPM/Speed table against my GPS speed over the ground.

On a short trip like this, it does not matter really. But later this week I have to sail upstream for almost 70 km!

Lots of barges as usual.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt117.jpg

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt118.jpg

A river cruise ship, on its way to Gorinchem where it will dock so its passengers/guest can stroll around this lovely little town for a couple of hours.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt119.jpg

These big rivers in the Netherlands always attract a lot of (industrial) activity as you can imagine. Not always pretty, but I am always interested in these sort of things. A couple of floating crane barges.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-jeroen-tshirt120.jpg

I was back at my usual mooring in our home marina by about 12.15. All went very smoothly. I spent most of the afternoon doing a bit of tidying up and cleaning. I also did a bit of trouble shooting on the battery control panel. I have a pretty good idea of what it is not. I did not want to mess with it any more, prior to my big trip.

Tomorrow morning I am leaving for a trip of well over 400 km in just six days. I will pick up my sister Hilde in Zutphen. It will take me two days to travel the 130 km. Almost half of that will be upstream on the river Lek and the Nederrijn (rhine). First night I hope to make it to Arnhem. Fingers crossed.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-scan.jpeg

I will be casting off at first light tomorrow morning. So at about 06.15. All bridges and locks start operating from 0600 am onwards on the canal.

Mrs. D will help me get provisions and get Sirion ready, but she is not coming along. She has a period dress weekend in the UK. So she will be at a big cross-channel ferry.
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:46   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Yesterday I took Sirion out to get some bunkers. Bunker is the nautical term for fuel. Bunkering means filling up with fuel.
This terminology survives on land in [this part of] India, where petrol stations are known as "petrol bunks."

Off topic, albeit marine... I was reading (or trying to!) a very wordy author in this morning's paper who compressed several obscure analogies into one paragraph. One involved reference to the Plimsoll line. It left me wondering if the historic Plimsoll line is still in use on today's ships: it is a long time since I've seen any ships. I could ask Google. But I still sometimes prefer to ask humans! Jeroen?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 16:56   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. It left me wondering if the historic Plimsoll line is still in use on today's ships:
Absolutely!

All vessels over a certain size are mandated to have a Plimsoll mark.

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-img_0457.png

For those less nautically inclined. The Plimsoll mark is found in the middle of the hull, both starboard and port.

It depicts the maximum loading a vessel is allowed. Different levels for different kind of waters.

This video explains it well:

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 18:26   #85

Quote:
1. If you make your boat speed equal to the current, over the ground, the boat is standing still.

2. Turn the boat slightly to the left, increase the speed slightly, the boat will move towards the left bank, jetty etc, but still not making way upstream. Straight into your "parking" space.

It's just a matter of vectors. But done by feel, rather than on paper.

As to doing with a single prop, I've never had more than one. Never had Jeroen's fancy bowthruster. And I used to do this with a rowing boat on the River Thames, regularly.

Kicking the stern in: of course, (I think Jeroen mentioned) it only works one way. On the other side, you just have to make sure you don't need to. And of the bow ends up sticking out, there is not much you can do about it, unless you have a bowthruster. (or a rowing boat)

Actually, unless you are single handed, you probably have someone on the jetty by then, and you dignity is in their hands
The lateral movement on single prop is what picked my interest. but, in tidal basin, the current is so negligble to stand still and alter towards jetty IMHO. what I generally do is, take reference where I want to go and point the bow a bit aft of it and then parallel out by going hard otherway at the terminal end whilst passing lines, all the while keeping a check on own speed all times.

lot of it is intuition and experience though, but the lateral movement part sounds interesting, might as well try this next time !
raghavrayudu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 13:32   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Sure, you have to have a suitable current before you can "crab" across it
Old 28th March 2024, 15:04   #87
BHPian

Quote:
One involved reference to the Plimsoll line. It left me wondering if the historic Plimsoll line is still in use on today's ships: it is a long time since I've seen any ships. I could ask Google. But I still sometimes prefer to ask humans! Jeroen?
Very much relevant even today and all ships have it marked amidships together with the load line disc which corresponds to the summer mark. The letters on either side of the load line disc are the abbreviation of the classification society the ship is certified by & classed under (LR=Lloyds Register, BV= Bureau Veritas, AB=American Bureau of Shipping...etc)
BlackBeard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:13   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2586750

I must have passed this bridge on my bicycle and cars about a zillion times. For those familiar with Dutch Geography and Dutch notorious traffic jams: The Merwede Bridge in the A27 Motorway at Gorinchem.
Is this by any chance on the canal to Sluiskil and Ghent?
Dutch canals and waterways are just so beautiful.
Old 28th March 2024, 16:12   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
Is this by any chance on the canal to Sluiskil and Ghent?
Dutch canals and waterways are just so beautiful.
No sorry, this is the Merwedbrug next to Gorinchem. TheA27 motorway crosses the River Merwede here.

I will be writing a full trip report of course. So far so good. I made it in one day to Arnhem. Lots of current, up to 5km/h. So making revolutions for 12,5 km/h only gets you about 7,5 km/h over the ground. But you are burning fuel as if you are doing 12,5 km/ h

This is Sirion safely tied last night in Arnhem

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-img_6344.jpeg

This morning I turned from the Rhine into the IJssel. Even more current and very busy with barges!

Bought a Yacht | 2006 Drammer 935 Classic-img_6348.jpeg
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 16:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Very interesting. Actually at least in Bombay, owning a small boat to get across to Alibaug is becoming more common. And there are plenty of leisure crafts that are available for hire - been on 3-4 parties on yachts in the last few years (ranging from a small one which accommodated about 7-8 people to a very large catamaran which accommodated 40). One of my wife’s cousins owns a stake in a yacht moored on the Mandovi in Goa and gives it on rent for parties as well as for the occasional person who wants to sail down to Bombay or back.

But the big difference is this. The folks who can own yachts very often don’t have the ability to maintain or sail them. You have professional crew and companies (often run by former merchant navy professionals) who do the maintenance and sailing duties.
Interesting. In 2008 a boat builder friend of mine (he still builds) made his 1st sail boat (a 20 feet catamaran) and we sailed it to Goa and back from Mumbai. We boarded it at gateway of India and I was amazed to see so many sail boats & yachts but NO marina!
En-route to Goa we stopped twice in Ratnagiri & Vengurla. We anchored in Calangute for a few days and made our trip back non-stop. My 1st and only experience on a sail boat so far, he has been calling me since to do a longer one.

For a yacht depending on the size you will need crew but for smaller sail boats & yachts some courses are available abroad & is a fun activity once you learn the ropes. Don't know if any are conducted in India. How about the Bombay & Colaba Yacht clubs? Is there any serious interest in India or only for bragging rights?

Quote:
No sorry, this is the Merwedbrug next to Gorinchem. TheA27 motorway crosses the River Merwede here.

I will be writing a full trip report of course. So far so good. I made it in one day to Arnhem. Lots of current, up to 5km/h. So making revolutions for 12,5 km/h only gets you about 7,5 km/h over the ground. But you are burning fuel as if you are doing 12,5 km/ h

This is Sirion safely tied last night in Arnhem
Wonderful, do keep us updated with your trip.
Arnhem certainly has history from the WW2. Some heavy fighting took place there.
BlackBeard is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks