Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 19:15   #16
BHPian

hi, it looks like driver of volvo is little bit rash and over confident. Unfortunate that 10 people died. These are high powered buses, drivers should be careful. Now, volvo has launched multiaxile B9R 6X2 with 340 BHP. Longer bus with two roes of seats extra. Hope drivers will drive these one with more careful.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
From the picture, it appears that the Volvo was trying to avoid the collission by swerving to the left.
If Volvo is trying to move left and avoid collision, then rear part of bus should have been affected. Looks like it was moving right, and front right part went into other bus.

TOI reports say ordinary bus driver might have dozed off.
Hindu report says he was trying to avoid a crater.
In either case, then volvo would have been on straight path, and bus2 would have rammed into this at an angle, as he moved right.
That kind of explains, that other bus there are no casualties, but driver is injured.Probably people on atleast 2-3 rows behind driver should have been injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Volvo's are equipped with seat belts for every seat... at least the one i travelled in to Blore long back was equipped with seat belts. But alas, most of them were not functional.
I donot remember seeing any seat belts in Volvo when I used to travel before. I have seen seat belts for first row alone in KSTDC volvo. I havent seen any in KSRTC or APSRTC volvos.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is this the 'Old Madras Road' ?
AFAIK, the route to Chennai via Hosur is 2 lane divided highway so there is no scope for head-on collission.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is this the 'Old Madras Road' ?
AFAIK, the route to Chennai via Hosur is 2 lane divided highway so there is no scope for head-on collission.
No No No.
There are. If you just travel between Krishnagiri & hosur, you will change your mind.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:36   #20
BHPian

This is what happens when we give bullock car drives such powerful machines. They neither have the sense nor the respect for peoples lives. Couple of years back, I had seen a similar accident on Hyderabad highway, a Divakar Volvo rammed absolutely head-on in to the incoming truck. 7 people died on the spot and it took over 3 hours to untangle the two.
Old 14th October 2008, 22:23   #21
BHPian

Lucky Escape

This is a horrible Accident, One My Best friend and Co-worker was travelling from Chennai to Bangalore sameday, He first tried booking tickets for the Bus which met with the disaster, as the seats were full and no vacancy he then booked his ticket for the next Bus and this bus was right behind the bus which collided and the Driver saw the accident Live and gave a big shout in a shock , The Driver was stunned by the scene and realized that his Co-worker to whom he spoke in the Chennai Bus Depot is no more.He agian Drove his Volve to bangalore in a speed of just 60kmph.

My Friend was very lucky and a had a great escape ..............

Your recent thread titled "ENTER THREAD TITLE HERE" was EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding. Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th October 2008 at 22:34. Reason: Font tags
Old 14th October 2008, 22:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

A different bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
...from Chennai to Bangalore sameday, He first tried booking tickets for the Bus which met with the disaster, ...
The Volvo bus that is the subject of this thread was going from Mysore/Bangy TO Chennai (not coming FROM Chennai).
Old 14th October 2008, 23:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
The Volvo bus that is the subject of this thread was going from Mysore/Bangy TO Chennai (not coming FROM Chennai).
Not really Sure because My friend told me that the Bus which met with the Accident was travelling from Chennai towards Bangalore ..
Old 15th October 2008, 09:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

My personal experience is that most Volvo buses are driven rashly and this sort of overtaking episode is very common. The drivers are drunk with the power they have under their command. Unless these buses have speed governors, we are not going to solve this problem - gruesome accidents like these will continue to happen.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:05   #25
BANNED

Absolutely agree with hvkumar. Volvo drivers are generally rash and the 'lesser' buses try and take on / keep up with the Volvos. It is not a pleasant sight when a bus comes at you in your lane on NH4.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT: I might be wrong in my assumption, but the feeling which I get these days is that a lot of these drivers are now used to 4 lane stretches, not necessarily the Volvo drivers but most of the bus drivers. Because of this they are showing scant regard for oncoming traffic when ever they are driving on 2lane stretches. Cases in point Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri, Tindivanam - Trichy etc. Is there a mental thing which is getting these drivers to behave like this.

Now back on topic. Most of the KSRTC Volvo drivers are decent, I remember a couple of cases where I felt uncomfortable, once when I was coming Mumbai - Bangalore (in the 1st month after the Volvo service was started by KSRTC) - this guy was literally pushing lorries off while trying to overtake in the Lonavala ghats on the expressway, we also did Nippani - Harihar in about 4 1/2 hours including a drop at Dharwad, this was the time when the GQ project was not on in that stretch. In another case the Ernakulam - Bangalore guy was literally racing against another Puzhkadavil Volvo through the Krishnagiri - Hosur stretch when in was under construction, imagine both the guys overtaking each other amidst diversions etc. But HVK is right these guys are drunk on power in most cases.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:41   #27
NitinGirish

I absolutely detest the idea of installing 'Speed Governers' on Volvo. Why have Volvoes then? It will be woeful. Instead, we can continue to with Leyland/Tata buses.

KSRTC drivers are very responsible. I tell this from my umpteen number of journeying experiences from Bengalure-Pune and back, Bengalure-Hyderabad and back also few trips to Bengaluru-Puttur (K'nataka). They always drive responsibly.

I think private sector road transport have to be more purposefully and thoughtfully regulated. Especially regarding recruitment/training of drivers. As of now its just become a getting-license-max trips kind of an endeavour.

Old 15th October 2008, 11:45   #28
BHPian

I guess it has also got to do with the passengers expecting volvo buses to reach wherever they want to go. I have seen people prefer Volvo's of certain operators saying they reach on time while others do not. People want a bus which will start as late as possible in the evening and reach as early as possible next day morning. Nobody raises a word about driving too fast (or wear the seatbelt) till something like this happens.

So, this is bound to happen- free market dynamics.

Speed Governors to be fitted to buses?
Old 15th October 2008, 12:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Speed Governors for Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinGirish View Post
I absolutely detest the idea of installing 'Speed Governers' on Volvo. Why have Volvoes then? It will be woeful. Instead, we can continue to with Leyland/Tata buses.

I think private sector road transport have to be more purposefully and thoughtfully regulated. Especially regarding recruitment/training of drivers. As of now its just become a getting-license-max trips kind of an endeavour.
You can't have different policies for govt. & private buses.

While I firmly belive possibly if there is better job safety for the guy driving a private bus he could be more mature. The overall driving mentality would remain the same. Also the difference between Leyland / Tata and Volvo is not just the speed but the overall comfort factor as well.

Once I had taken a KPN Leyland bus from Bangalore to Chennai. We left Madivala at 11.15 PM only to reach Poonamallee at 5.00 AM, despite getting caught at the Ambur gate for about 15 minutes. The maximum speed in this case would not have been more than 90 kmph almost 15-20 kmph slower than a Volvo, but the time taken was very similar to the regular Volvo times.

Another instance when I took a National Travels rear engined Leyland bus from T.Nagar at 11.45 PM to reach Ulsoor at 5.15 AM the next day morning (this was done via OMR)

Am sure a speed governed Volvo @ say 90kmph can do similar times, taking into account the far better torque the Volvo has as compared to the Leylands / Tatas, like the above two cases but with far better comfort. Do we have an issue with that?
Old 15th October 2008, 13:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

This was a very horrific accident, may the departed souls RIP...

I guess people need to get more serious about the safety!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks