Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:45   #2266
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Hey, when did KTC start their Chennai - Calicut service? I saw the bus yesterday near Mahabalipuram.
Its been over two months now. The route is Chennai-Kannur via Pondy, Trichy, Palani, Pollachi, Palakkad. They are reportedly doing good loads, and they are matching the timings of buses taking the regular route (between Chennai and Palakkad)
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:34   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, when did KTC start their Chennai - Calicut service? I saw the bus yesterday near Mahabalipuram.
what time you spotted this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Its been over two months now. The route is Chennai-Kannur via Pondy, Trichy, Palani, Pollachi, Palakkad. They are reportedly doing good loads, and they are matching the timings of buses taking the regular route (between Chennai and Palakkad)
This is the last service to start from Palani by midnight 12. It reaches chennai by around 7 AM. One main reason for this is, the traffic will be free during that time in Palani - Dindugal - Trichy stretch. This reduces the travel time.
I wanted to try this service for the past 3 weeks, but I have nothing to do at home till 12.00, so I settle with SRM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:54   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
what time you spotted this?
IIRC between 6:15-6:30, it was behind the Parveen travels, the Chennai - Cochin multi axle.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:14   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I just travelled from Trivandrum to Chennai in Betheleham Travels. It's a multi-axle Merc with a toilet.
A friend of mine recently travelled in this and said the smell from the toilet was always felt inside the bus, as people were opening and closing it frequently. He said the driver told him that the operator was planning to remove the toilets. Could it be true? I was under the impression that these chemical toilets don't smell as much as conventional ones.
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:00   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't get KTC? Which service are you talking about? Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:34   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Here you go, http://ktcbus.com/home.aspx
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:51   #2272
BHPian

KTC has started off with TVM - Kanjangad Service and Chennai - Kannur service at the moment. They are running couple of 9600s and 9100s. Dont know which ones are being run on which routes.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:10   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancho View Post
KTC has started off with TVM - Kanjangad Service and Chennai - Kannur service at the moment. They are running couple of 9600s and 9100s. Dont know which ones are being run on which routes.
I think I have made a mistake about 9600. Binaiks, pls help. Meanwhile, I will confirm and update the same.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:45   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
KTC, aka Kerala Transport Company (one of the oldest names in the Transport industry in Kerala) recently bought two Volvo 9400XL and two Volvo 9100 (reportedly, the first operator in India to get delivery of Volvo 9100s).

They initially ran the 9400XL on the Kanhangad-Trivandrum route. Later, the 9400XL was shifted to the new Kannur-Chennai route and the Volvo 9100 was introduced on the Kanhangad-Trivandrum route.

Here is one B9R (Volvo 9400XL) of KTC parked in the garbage heap called "Koyambedu" in Chennai: (My eyes get moist when I see these expensive beauties parked in such awful places)
Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_6924.jpg
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 11:22   #2275
BHPian

Am planning a trip to Goa in Nov from Bangalore and would like to know about the best private operators for this route. I have narrowed down on VRL and Shantadurga based on the feedback on redbus. Any other operators worth considering, apart from KaSRTC Airavat Multi Axle? Have travelled Paulo earlier on this route and will venture no where close to them. How's Seabird Multi Axle Volvo on this sector?
Old 8th October 2012, 23:10   #2276
PVS
BHPian

Did a quick trip to Bangalore over the last weekend of September. Outward journey on Thursday(September 27th) night was by a Bharathi Multi Axle Volvo, and the return was on the 30th by a VRL Volvo.

I had to stay at Bommanahalli, so at Rs 700/- and a drop at Bommanahalli (Bharati's last stop is at their Singasandra garage) , Bharati's multi - axle service worked out just fine. The boarding point was at Bharathi's Afzal - Gunj office at 10:00 pm. Apparently, Bharathi's multi-axle services to Chennai & Bangalore depart at almost the same time - there was a mix of Chennai & Bangalore bound PAX waiting at the office.

By around 10:05 pm, both the buses pulled up one after the other. It being a Thursday evening, there were hardly 10 people on board. Soon after I was seated, a chap came around selling chips and cold water. I declined, thinking that I would be served cold water on board. Well, bad luck - for Bharathi does not supply water on board - so I had to be content with a few sips of water from a co-passenger's bottle.

There was a humongous amount of parcel loading near Aram-Ghar junction - and after a long drawn out discussion between the crew and the parcel loaders over rates, we set out again. The next stop was near ORR junction, for a "bio-break" adjacent to the highway. Guess, Bharathi cares two hoots about its lady passengers otherwise it wouldn't have stopped along the highway. The crew promptly declared that the bus would run "non-stop' to Bangalore - that means the dinner break at Jadcherla or elsewhere, was missing.

The insipid Telugu Movie played on till about an hour after which the CD got stuck - most of the PAX had dozen off by then.

Got up in the morning to find out that we had reached Hebbal Junction - not bad, timings were being maintained. We then pulled over near Ananda Rao circle, where all the parcels were unloaded. Most of the PAX were headed towards Madiwala and beyond - very few of them had gotten off near Hebbal and Ananda Rao Circle.

After a 20 minute halt, we again set out towards Shantinagar side. At a hotel, we again halted for about 15 minutes as the crew had to pick up lots of breakfast for the staffers back at the garage - may be. We set out, and after a drop at Madiwala, I was dropped off near Bommanahalli bus stand by around 07:45 am.

The return journey was by a VRL Isuzu scheduled to depart Madiwala on a Sunday at 09:25 pm. Somewhere around 03:30 pm, I get a call from VRL saying that the 09:25 Isuzu was cancelled an I was being accommodated in their 08:45 pm Volvo service from Madiwala.

Fine, I reach Madiwala by 08: 30 pm - folks inside the VRL office were engrossed in the India Pak T20 match going on. The guy manning the counter was quite harried though - an he kept on asking me the bus service number, which I did not have. RedBus just sends you an SMS containing the PNR number, not the bus service number. Guess this is a gap that Red Bus should identify and correct.

Anyways, my VRL Volvo B7R pulled in on dot at 08:45 pm. The bus looked to be one of the earlier B7Rs, and had clearly seen a lot of action. The interiors were drab and dull looking and gave an impression that I was traveling inside a Government bus. The attitude of the staff was no better either - loads of attitude problems especially amongst the checking staff, and I felt amongst VRL, in general - the attitude of KSRTC staffers seemed much better in comparison. And by the way, VRL also does not provide water on board, so you would need to carry water.

Anyways, we left at around 09:00 pm and drove down to VRL's bus terminal at Ananda Rao Circle - a separate bus terminal for a private operator - looks ed very impressive to me. We pulled into one of the bays, and the driver promptly switches of the AC and the engine. Not quite sure how much VRL was saving by switching off the AC with PAX seated inside - definitely irresponsible.

At around 10:00 pm with over 80 % occupancy, we pulled off from the bus terminal, and made regular stops at Hebbal and Yelahanka, picking up booked PAX. One thing conspicuous by its absence, was parcel loading. Every operator (KSRTC and APSRTC included) did stop for parcels being loaded, but not VRL. Guess their logistics division takes care of all that.

We stop for dinner at someplace after Chikkaballapura, and giving us company was a Raichur bound Airavath, two buses from Jabbar ( A multi-axle, and a regular 2 * 2) , a Hyderabad bound KSRTC A/C sleeper, and an Akbar Volvo bus. Started after about 20 minutes, and I slept off.

All through the night, the guy was literally flooring the pedal - very aggressive driving, inspite of inclement conditions around - felt as if I was in a B9R.

After dropping a PAX near Aram Ghar junction the guy took the PVNR expressway, and I finally got off near Mehdipatnam by around 06;45 am and a took a bus home.

Not quite satisfied with both Bharathi and VRL - VRL in particular- they can do much better.

Last edited by PVS : 8th October 2012 at 23:12. Reason: Corrected Spelling Mistakes
PVS is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 08:56   #2277
BHPian

I had to travel to chennai last weekend and had booked Kesineni on friday evening, had to cancel the ticket last minute due to an important call that got rescheduled on friday night. I was actually travelling to attend my Mama's shastiabthaboorthy( 60th birthday) on Sunday. The function was supposed to start by 7 am, so i have to be there by 7. So I was checking all the options and one of my college buddy calls up and says he is in Vijayawada and asked if he can come to Hyderabad to meet me. I told him i will come to Vijayawada and from there would take a bus to chennai on Sat night. So here is the trip review.

Hyderabad ( KPHB) to Vijayawada:

Booked APSRTC multiaxle 12.15 pm service: The bus was Mercedes Benz mutliaxle and looked very good from outside. The bus showed up at the KPHB bus station at 12.10 and I got in.The driver acts as both driver/conductor. The bus was waiting for one passenger who showed only by 12.35 pm. The driver was busy doing his conductor duties like filling the sheets etc. The bus left by 12.40 and reached MGBS by 1.55 pm. Filled passengers for like 20 mins and then left the station by 2.15. I thought atlast leaving Hyd. Nope that is not going to happen soon. Since the bus was only half filled he went to Dilsukhnagr bus station and waited for another 15 mins to fill in more people. The bus almost filled and then left by 2.50 pm. Once we crossed the LB nagar saw the new 4 laned Highway to vijayawada. Simply superb. But our driver was very sedate. never crossed 80 KMPH. After 25 mins break at Suryapet, bus went inside Kodad to drop passengers and reached Vijayawada bus station at 7.10 PM. The bus was supposed to reach by 6.15 pm a good one hour delay. Water bottle was provided and bus condition was very good. Met my friend and went to his house to meet his family and came back to bus station by 9.15 PM.

Vijayawada - Chennai: Had booked APSRTC garuda 9.30 pm service. The bus was already in th bay when i came and got in. The bus left by 9.35 pm. The bus was looking very good and condition inside was also very nice. The bus stopped outside the bus station for 15 mins as a bike was being sent in the cargo space. effectively left Vijayawada by 9.50. Ride was very comfortable but traffic was very heavy. Reached Ongole bus stand at 1.15 am. Very sedtae driving and no aggressiveness. Reached Nellore by 4 am and dropped me at Koyambedu station by 6.15 am, good one hour delay. but I would not complain as the journey was very good.

Chennai - Hyderabad: VRL Multiaxle:

Reached koyamabedu bus station by 7 pm and VRL bus reached by 7.30. Departure was at 7.35 and bus left by 7.45 pm. Reached redhills and suddenly bus stopped, driver and cleaner went out switching off AC. Apparently they were waiting for the 2nd driver who was coming to the point through another MTC bus. 20 mins wasted. Had to shout with the cleaner to switch on the AC. Then reached Munnabhai Dhaba by 9.30 pm at Sulurpeta. Hereweird things happened that I am witnessing in Volvo service for the first time. The AC was switched off and cleaner told everyone including women passengers to get out. I was not planning to eat and i opposed saying why should i get out and i will wait inside and cleaner was not willing to, arguments were flying in air but he was not relenting forcing me to get out ultimately. Very disappointing. After the break bus started by 10.05 pm and reached LB nagar by 7.30 am and dropped mt at KPHB at 8.15 am. I am not sure if the journey time is good. Earlier i used to reach LB nagar by 6 and get drooped at KPHB by 7 am by Dhanunjaya or kesineni with whom I have travelled the maximum. But with both my onward and return the drivers said the road is not good and hence the delay. but VRL was certainly disappointing with the rude behaviour of the crew. APSRTC even though delayed the crew behaviour was very polite surprisingly.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 14:12   #2278
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

dont know whether this is the right thread to post (moderators pls move to appropriate thread if this is not the right place)
I am planning a trip to Shirdi from bangalore; the onward journey I plan to do by bus, return by flight from bombay. Redbus shows only 2 operators for blore-> shirdi :
VRL sleeper -> 11am dep; 9:30am arr
VRL volvo -> 1pm dep; 1230pm arr (why so late?)
Konduskar volvo -> 1:30pm dep; 6am arr

I have some questions :
1) any BHP-ian used bus from bangalore to shirdi before ? or knows anyone who has ? do the above services operate consistently (cancellation because of lack of passengers)
2) what is the route ? does it touch pune only or pune+bombay ?
3) what is the realistic duration that the journey will take (I am assuming that 1 hr can be added for bangalore city commute for the bus)
4) why does the VRL volvo take so long ?

Thanks in advance
Old 9th October 2012, 14:58   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
1) any BHP-ian used bus from bangalore to shirdi before ? or knows anyone who has ? do the above services operate consistently (cancellation because of lack of passengers)
2) what is the route ? does it touch pune only or pune+bombay ?
3) what is the realistic duration that the journey will take (I am assuming that 1 hr can be added for bangalore city commute for the bus)
Thanks in advance
Why not try the KaSRTC Club class?
Route info:dep.Time, fare, starting point, via, destination total duration
13:00 1240 KEMPEGOWDA BS [MAJESTIC] KLP POONA [Entertainment TV] SHIRDI 18:50
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 18:55   #2280
Senior - BHPian

travelled via APSRTC garuda plus (Mercedes Benz Double axle) semi sleeper on a round trip to chennai. On both the trips, there were delays, and in the return trip, the bus broke down and we were stuck for several hours in nellore until the bus got repaired. Plus the NVH in the mercedes buses seem to get worse with age. I am NEVER travelling on a benz bus again!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed