Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Dinar:

Can the TL still be ordered? I thought it has been discontinued? Though it is relatively underpowered, I too prefer the TL for it's simplicity (IDI, engine etc).
Last I check it was still in production and can be had. Do not know if they will continue producing it or drop it after the new emission norms, but my guess and going by the most Indian companies past records, they do find some use for their older vehicles in India [read price reduction to their real value]or getting a emission compliant engine in it.
By the way a universal K&N does wonder to this engine, the turbos spools quit fast and the engine seam to rev a bit freely.

Last edited by dinar : 2nd December 2009 at 16:48.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

TL is still vailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Dinar:

Can the TL still be ordered? I thought it has been discontinued? Though it is relatively underpowered, I too prefer the TL for it's simplicity (IDI, engine etc).

yes TATA TL is available. Just confirmed with TATA motors. Chennai Ex showrrom price Rs 7,29,281. Will be 8lakhs on road. I dont think there is any other pickup which provides a/c and power steering with 4wd and LSD for 8 lakhs. Getaway is 9 lakhs (no LSD) and Xenon is close to 10 lakhs on road! (much longer and poor approach angle)

TL seems to be a better bet

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd December 2009 at 17:28.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
...Its come with almost 97% of the XENON features and has 4*4 LSD and so on...
Well, not really, the Xenon sports the 2.2 Dicor engine. Is tata giving some good discounts for the TL now that the Xenon is also there?
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:32   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The Xenon has the better engine and more rear leg room compared to the TL. Its load bed is slightly shorter though. Overall the Xenon would be a better option compared to the TL and well worth the extra money
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Xenon has the better engine and more rear leg room compared to the TL. Its load bed is slightly shorter though. Overall the Xenon would be a better option compared to the TL and well worth the extra money
Technology wise yes, Xenon is better. TL is good for some one lookng for a comfortable 4x4 crew cab on budget
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:42   #21
Team-BHP Support

Why buy an old gen engine, esp when tata makes very little of those. Little production = problem with spares.
Its always better to get a current gen vehicle. The 2.2 engine and related components will not have any spare availability problem.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why buy an old gen engine, esp when tata makes very little of those. Little production = problem with spares.
Its always better to get a current gen vehicle. The 2.2 engine and related components will not have any spare availability problem.
Tata's whole SUV range has been mostly sold with the 2.0 Liter engine except for a few low end sumos that come with the 3.0 and post 2007 Safari's with the VVTI. I doubt finding parts for the 2.0 TCIC engine will be a problem in the near future.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why not when it is available about 2 lakhs cheaper than Xenon? Chennai VST dealer quoted 7.15 lakhs on road and thats less than a even Bolero 4x4. Some one looking at a crew cab with 4x4 this is the one to go.
Old 27th November 2018, 19:53   #24
BHPian

Re: Looking for a 4X4 pick up/crew cab

Hello Everyone,

Got a call from my cousin today that he needs to buy a truck and since he knows that I am a member of this amazing community he gave me the task to find one for him. Since I have no idea about trucks so I thought to put it here. The requirements are as following:
1. 4x4
2. Does not want the truck with body just need it with the chassis alone.
3. should have AC cabin.

Purpose:
This vehicle will be driven in the interior parts of the Jim Corbett National Park in all kind of seasons, which means that the truck should have proper 4x4 to tackle the rainy season, mud, rocks, wading through rivers, etc without getting stuck. Coz you don't wanna get stuck in the middle of the Jungle with tigers all around
They will be putting a body on the chassis which can accomodate atleast 15-18 people.

Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 20:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Got a call from my cousin today that he needs to buy a truck and since he knows that I am a member of this amazing community he gave me the task to find one for him. Since I have no idea about trucks so I thought to put it here. The requirements are as following:
1. 4x4
2. Does not want the truck with body just need it with the chassis alone.
3. should have AC cabin.

Purpose:
This vehicle will be driven in the interior parts of the Jim Corbett National Park in all kind of seasons, which means that the truck should have proper 4x4 to tackle the rainy season, mud, rocks, wading through rivers, etc without getting stuck. Coz you don't wanna get stuck in the middle of the Jungle with tigers all around
They will be putting a body on the chassis which can accomodate atleast 15-18 people.

Thanks
I have seen a 4X4 Swaraj Mazda truck doing the Safari truck duties somewhere in Rajiv Gandhi National park, Karnataka IIRC.

They have it listed in their website (SML - ISUZU). AC fitment can be done outside, happy shopping.

The standard truck used in Karnataka wildlife sanctuaries is Bolero Camper, a bit less capacity but seems to suit their terrain due to the longer wheelbase which makes the ride more comfortable than SWB trucks and smaller dimensions make them more maneuverable.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 27th November 2018 at 20:27.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Why not when it is available about 2 lakhs cheaper than Xenon? Chennai VST dealer quoted 7.15 lakhs on road and thats less than a even Bolero 4x4. Some one looking at a crew cab with 4x4 this is the one to go.
It would be better if you started a new thread instead of posting in a thread that had seen the last post 9 years ago and is different requirements.

Check if Tata 407 4x4 is available. Also check with the RTO if they will register with the permission to carry 15/20 passangers.

Regards,
Old 4th May 2022, 12:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Question posed to me by someone, and posting here because am not finding any other suitable thread.

What are the options for a light pickup in white-board today, in the lower budget category. The vehicle will be used to move assorted, odd-shaped stuff that can sometimes extend outside the body (like medium sized wood logs too).

The only options around seem to be the Isuzu V-cross, Mahindra Camper, Tata 207di crew-cab (all used). Jeeps and gypsies do provide open space in the rear, but load will be limited to the space inside the Soft/Hard top cabin.

Petrol or diesel isnt the question, but definitely maintenance cost. Purchase cost is key, since he will not be using it on commercial lines. And usage would be may be once a week.
Old 4th May 2022, 13:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Question posed to me by someone..
Since buying a truck exclusively for once-in-a-week shipping doesn't make sense, I assume the shipping distance is substantial.

Pre-BS6 Bolero Pik-up 4WD should be available in OLX. However, these are all yellow-board vehicles, you certainly can't convert any to private service vehicle. The payload capacity is well over the private-use limit.
Old 4th May 2022, 14:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Since buying a truck exclusively for once-in-a-week shipping doesn't make sense, I assume the shipping distance is substantial.
The distance would not be much. He says max may be 200km, but even this is rare. He is feeling kind of lost because some transportation is required, but hiring works out expensive. And there is almost no option for a cost-effective vehicle on private registrations. He could get anything in the Tata Ace or similar Mahindra for less than 2L in the used market, but these will be yellow-board only - which have higher annual tax, then there is insurance and FC. On another note, Isuzu's are the newer of the lot - but hear that spares are on the expensive side.

No single-cab can be converted to private use. Not even the Isuzu D-Max Space-cab version.

Last edited by condor : 4th May 2022 at 15:02.
Old 19th June 2022, 20:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a TD of a used TataMobile recently. The vehicle is different ! This particular one was in bad condition, and hence rejected. Not sure if I can find a good specimen. No power-steering makes these old vehicles a little hard to manoeuvre. The seating position is also not car like - what with that single bench without recline angle for the back-rest.

One interesting thing I found was that Tata had put in a 5+1 speed gearbox in this, back in early 90's itself !

Also had a chance to experience the Telcoline. Compared to the TataMobile, the TL is a much better vehicle. A solid build - may be the heaviest gauge sheet on a car that I have seen. A 2 litre IDI engine mated to that 5 +1 gearbox can take the vehicle to 120+ (when on no load). Loaded, it can carry 1.25 T easy.

The TL didnt sell much in India. Even the CrewCab version is seen rarely. And the single-cab TL ? I have seen all of ONE in all these years, in the Chikmagalur area. This would have awesome to have. Would be more compact than the CrewCab version, but with the same power - and far easier to handle.

Think I will now have to look for a Mahindra Jeep or may be a Gypsy. Stock. Off-roading expert friends have said a DI Turbo/5 gear/4x4 would be just right. Let's see how it goes. Xenon crew-cabs and Bolero Campers/ Scorpio Getaways are also out due to the size of these vehicles.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks