Team-BHP - The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/73523-indian-bus-scene-discuss-new-launches-market-info-here-53.html)

Yes - its a bootleg operation ofcourse. Lot of "Jayanthi" buses used to run in Calicut - Vadakara route, and I presume this is one of them.

GOt this as a fwd from my friend, will see if he has any info about the dates and a clearer picture.

Off topic but still related to busses .

There was a gruesome accident involving a BMTC bus and a bike last week on mysore road. Apparently it was a brake fail on the bus that led to the biker being run over by bus. The bus was the new air suspension blue color low ride bus.people in Bangalore will know which bus I am talkin about. How can such a critical component fail on such modern busses? Aren't these engineered to the withstand extreme loads and operating conditions?

One more image from Auto expo of ASHOK LEYLAND from their facebook page

JANBUS & SOLO

Yesterday I was going through a few threads so not sure if this is the right place to put the reply but, there were discussions about the upkeep of the Volvo 8400 city buses by BMTC. Apart from picking up any passenger than waves to these busses, I think they are managing it well by posting adverts on them now. A lot of buses in the Banshankari to ITPL route now have big adverts on the sides and the back. As a frequent traveler of that route, I see an increasing number of buses now carrying adverts. Also on another note I had mentally if not on the forum agreed that the Marcopolo buses were nothing but big noise pollution boxes which make more sound than move (sort of like the case of empty vessels) but today I was surprised to find one Marcopolo bus surprisingly quiet. Not as silent as a Volvo but very silent indeed. Is BMTC or TATA looking into that problem or did I just come across a one off instance? Any one who can shed more light on the above two topics. Ill try and take some pics of these buses with Adverts on them.

Saw a few buses called corona operating for bmtc. Any idea which company makes these.
The interiors looked pretty good and it seemed to be the non ac variety. Will post pic if possible soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep_bang (Post 2647239)
Saw a few buses called corona operating for bmtc. Any idea which company makes these.
The interiors looked pretty good and it seemed to be the non ac variety. Will post pic if possible soon.

Corona is the name of the company that manufactures these buses. They claim to be the first Monocoque bus body for a city bus in India. The bus gets a 180-hp Cummins BSIV engine mated to an Allison Automatic transmission. Its an AC bus.

This is one of them:
The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-img_0135.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaiks (Post 2647306)
Corona is the name of the company that manufactures these buses. They claim to be the first Monocoque bus body for a city bus in India. The bus gets a 180-hp Cummins BSIV engine mated to an Allison Automatic transmission. Its an AC bus.

This is one of them:
Attachment 872049

So are we looking at Corona trying to take the larger hold in BMTC? I did come across Corona Sleeper buses when I went to Majestic to catch my bus to Hyd. Can anyone shed light on whats the difference in the cost between Volvo & Corona buses. Wonder if BMTC & KaSRTC are looking to replace the Volov's? I certainly hope not, I love travelling in Volvo city bus.

Seeing this model for the first time. Its a Tata Marcopolo Skool bus(709) with a factory fitted air conditioner in it. Is this a new product ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by urzdeepu (Post 2652195)
Seeing this model for the first time. Its a Tata Marcopolo Skool bus(709) with a factory fitted air conditioner in it. Is this a new product ?

Looks like a 912 to me..
Tata Starbus Skool AC has 4 variants.
LP 912 BS III 3783 cc TATA 497 TCIC 92 KW engine/ 4920 mm WB; 40 seater GBS-40 5 + 1
LP 912 BS IV 3783 cc TATA 497 CR 92 KW engine/ 4920 mm WB; 40 seater GBS-550 6 + 1
LP 712 BS III 3783 cc TATA 497 TCIC 92 KW engine/ 4200 mm WB; 36 seater GBS-40 5 + 1
LP 712 BS IV 3783 cc TATA 497 CR 92 KW engine/ 4200 mm WB; 36 seater GBS-550 6 + 1

Bus moving towards Matta kalappu, Srilanka.
The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-image001.jpg

Source : Unknown

Is that a bus? Looks like a train! There are tracks below

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley2 (Post 2655306)
Bus moving towards Matta kalappu, Srilanka [/ATTACH]

This is cool! At the outset a really cost effective solution. There was an episode of Top Gear where they attempted something similar - but with disastrous consequences, as always !

Is the powertrain that of a standard bus or are there modifications beyond the change of axles, wheels & braking systems ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley2 (Post 2655306)
Bus moving towards Matta kalappu, Srilanka.

Its actually a "RailBus".

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 2655646)
Is that a bus? Looks like a train! There are tracks below

There are a few such Railbuses in India - there was one running between Bangarpet and Kolar, and a few run up in the north of India. There was one very famous Rail Bus service between Shimoga and Talguppa - this one had a Leyland engine.

Some more pics of the Railbus in Sri Lanka: (All images are taken from the internet - thanks to the original uploaders)

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-48869949.jpg

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-file1901.jpg

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-59396879.jpg

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-puttalamrailbusanamaduwasrilanka1152_12995339904tpfil02aw8929.jpg

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-srilanka_009.jpg

Name:  p1news.gif
Views: 4515
Size:  58.7 KB

And here is a video of one of these Railbuses: YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaiks (Post 2656125)
Its actually a "RailBus".

What are the benefits of a Railbus?

Volvo to release Hybrid buses (7700 series) in Bangalore - 105 seater !

Volvo hybrid bus to hit Bangalore roads soon - The Economic Times