Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

View Poll Results: How would you prefer to travel?
Car 87 89.69%
Bus 10 10.31%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 14:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bus or Car-What do you prefer for your journeys?

A brief background-
My wife's place is down South-Eruvadi b/w Nagerkoil and Tirunelveli. My hometown is Bangalore. And I work at Coimbatore. Hence I frequently shuttle by car.
An average trip from Eruvadi to Bangalore takes about 7-10 hours depending on the traffic, weather and my mood. I start at whatever time my work gets over. Lunch/ dinner is usually at Meenakshi Bhavan in Thirumangalam. Great non-veg food. Arrive fresh at home and ready for a full day's work.
Yesterday, I took a bus from Tirunelveli to Bangalore (SETC) as my wife needed the car. I had a reservation in an ultra deluxe bus at 1800. Thus I had to start from Eruvadi at 1600. At 1500, I was consulted for 2 minor surgeries which I had to postpone to when I return. First bus at 1600. Typical village bus. Stopping for every village and messy. Took 2 hours for the 40 Km.
Tirunelveli bus terminus- 1800 bus has not arrived. Whiled away time till it finally came at 1830. Passenger loading and ticket checking takes 1 hour. The conductor sold tickets in black and loaded the people in the aisle and the cabin. The bus finally started at 1930. I dozed off for a while. When I woke up, I saw a fully loaded lorry overtake us with ease. I checked the speed and we were averaging 36 Kph (I've done average of 120+ on the same stretch). At 2100 the bus stops for dinner at Vasantha Bhavan. I get down to check the fare and almost puked. The vadas were dripping smelly oil. And the only thing available was veg kushka which tasted like leftover dog-food. The coffee was like ditch water. Atleast the open air urinal was ok.
Next leg- woke up at Salem at about 0200. 2 hours late. Learnt that the SETC bus does not have a permit to enter Karnataka and that we'd have to change bus at Hosur. Hosur comes by at 0630. Massive traffic jam. Am transferred to another Ultra deluxe bus as standing passenger. Late for my appointment at MSRMH. Shanthinagar finally sees me at 0900, tired and worn-out. Next is the trip at majestic. Then to home(Dad's gone to work, so cannot pick my up).
I hope never to travel by bus again. Will try train next time.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:21   #2
BANNED

Car anytime, unless the road is really bad then let it damage a vehicle other than my own. Even here may prefer to hire a taxi!
Old 19th January 2010, 14:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is that your first experience of traveling long distance in a public transport? Reputed travels run their buses exactly on time (mostly). Anyhow travel in trains offers wonderful experience & the main advantage is that you can relax in many ways when boredom strikes . If its just one place of visit with no further travels to nearby places, i would prefer public transport though only TRAINS.

HOLIDAYS are definitely on cars.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

I hate long distance journeys in Bus especially during night. That's the time you'll miss the bed at home the most.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:35   #5
BHPian

This is like a trick question..

Not sure if anyone would ever select 'bus' as an option that too on T-BHP which is like holied ground for cars.

Maybe if this option is given on the SETC/KSRTC/SHARMA TRAVELS/etc , bus sites , it might fair better than here.

FYi.
Selected CAR...
Old 19th January 2010, 17:38   #6
BHPian

If it is a routine business/ work trip nothing like travelling by train or bus(not the state owned buses). It helps you to relax and plan your work for the next day even if it takes a little more time.
But when it is a vacation, it has to be car provided the distance is not too much.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:10   #7
BANNED

Have travelled by VRL, and experience was comfortable and good so far. So I prefer the journey by Bus when I am travelling alone. If I have company I would prefer my car.

@Wildsdi - Please give it a try again in Sharma travels or VRL. I am sure it will be a nice experience, they are quite punctual and neat. Travelling by car ALONE is not a good Idea, there are too many dangers on road which can not be handled alone, be it night or day!
Old 19th January 2010, 18:29   #8
BHPian

Iam a regular user of SETC between Chennai & Hosur and found it more comfortable than private buses, interms of leg space that you get.

*As indicated by you the road side hotels that they stop are nothing much to talk.
* Travel time from Chennai to Hosur is 7 Hrs.

So If i'm out of cash and lot of time i prefer Buses, else car. So i'm voting for Car
Old 19th January 2010, 18:40   #9
BHPian

Long journeys in India = Indian Railways.
Nothing else beats the convenience, comfort, economy and safety here.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:59   #10
BHPian

No matter how long from delhi, My first choice is my workhorse Scoprio. Nothing beats it on highway & the comfort of stopping anywhere, going anytime makes it all the more exciting.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

No Prizes for guessing - Its Obviously the Car

Had it been Car or Train, i would have thought about it
Old 19th January 2010, 19:46   #12
cLJ
BHPian

I prefer train journey than public buses for long journey. Some people can't sit continuously for long. If you are travelling in a train in a reserved compartment, you will never get bored.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Most preferred would be the car. I have driven all the way from Chennai to Kerala all by myself . A good long 12 hour drive every petrol head would dream of...

Bus, yes when I have no option left to use the car!

I hate train journey and I am usually forced to commute by train by my better half during my Kerala visits
Old 19th January 2010, 20:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

When you are used to travel by car bus journey is always troublesome even solo driving is ok.The buses do not start on time and always we try to compare our driving timings to the bus timings and it is always not acceptable.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:06   #15
BHPian

Car definately in this case. If the option would have included train, then for long distances (900 + kms) I would have been in 2 minds. But Car or Bus - Definately car.

Most Viewed