Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 20:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Some how, the merc bus resembles the marcopolo. The Volvo still takes the cake atleast on the looks department for now. Bangaloreans will see this bus pretty soon as BMTC will be more than happy to run these buses on trial.
Old 11th June 2010, 20:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
PS: Yes its not flashy. But how important is looks when choosing a commercial vehicle? (for both passengers and operators?)

VOLVO operators charge a premium from its tavellers mainly for the 'ultra look' it boasts. How many common people really understand the diffirentiate between travelling in a AC airbus and volvo.

So many tour operators still send rear engine AL airbuses marked as volvos.
Old 11th June 2010, 21:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post

So many tour operators still send rear engine AL airbuses marked as volvos.
Out of curiosity: Can you name one operator who does this? I have never seen such a thing happening. Most passengers can differentiate between a Volvo and a non-Volvo.
Old 11th June 2010, 22:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

I see design cues from Volvo and Marcopolo in this deign. The wipers - looks similar to Volvo, the front headlights, and the center region bearing the 3-pointed star - looks like MP. And the side glasses too. I don't find it as elegant as a volvo.
Old 11th June 2010, 23:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I hope MB have taken a lesson or two from Marcopolo's failures and give their buses the required power and features to compete with Volvos. Else, like their inter city buses, even these will not find many customers.
n.devdath, Can you explain what you mean by "Marcopolo's failures". If you are referring to Tata-Marcopolo joint venture, that is considered as success and is evident from the large orders they are getting, including for export.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Looks are indeed very important - there are many passengers who choose their bus on looks. This is the primary reason why private bus operators are making their buses flashy day by day - this is also one reason why SRTCs are changing the looks of their buses.
Interesting! Sometimes I have boarded buses in a hurry and never even got a chance to see the front look. To me, comfort, noise, ride quality, AC and cleanliness are imp.
Old 12th June 2010, 22:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
To me, comfort, noise, ride quality, AC and cleanliness are imp.
For me, In a city bus, how much time i have to wait for the next bus(freqeuncy) and how crowded the bus(capacity) are the most important criterion
Old 13th June 2010, 03:57   #23
BHPian

Here is a 2005 model mercedes benz citaro bus chartered by indian school,riyadh as school bus from saptco.
The second one is a 2007 MB citaro bus operated by Mcgills in glasgow.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz to foray into the "Fully Built" City Bus segment-saptco.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz to foray into the "Fully Built" City Bus segment-mcgills.jpg  

Old 7th July 2010, 21:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
Here is a 2005 model mercedes benz citaro bus chartered by indian school,riyadh as school bus from saptco.
The second one is a 2007 MB citaro bus operated by Mcgills in glasgow.
And MB decides to dump this ugly piece-de-resistance for us third-world Indians. How bad of you, MB!
Old 7th July 2010, 22:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
And MB decides to dump this ugly piece-de-resistance for us third-world Indians. How bad of you, MB!
Interestingly, Merc is running two different looking buses in Pune for Trial. I remember seeing a pic in the online version of some newspaper (Sorry! Unable to recollect which paper was that - but I think it was ET). The entire "face" wasn't visible - the officials were blocking the view. But the area around the windshield and the LED indicators were absolutely different.

I feel Merc is trying out two different products, and might finalise the best one for the country. But seriously, the bus that is apparently to be released in India (the one with which Mr Wilbur is posing) looks too bad.

EDIT: The pic appeared in DNA. The pic has been attached.
Mercedes-Benz to foray into the "Fully Built" City Bus segment-epaperpdf_02072010_1pune-main-editionpg607.jpg

Look carefully: There are some differences around the LED boards. One bus has a single piece windshield while the other is a two piece one. This is certainly two different models.

Last edited by binaiks : 7th July 2010 at 22:34. Reason: Image uploaded.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity: Can you name one operator who does this? I have never seen such a thing happening. Most passengers can differentiate between a Volvo and a non-Volvo.

So many , you need pictures i can get that too. But for that i need to return to kerala for that. Ruby travels in Aluva is the one that comes in mind.

Last edited by prmd_cochin : 7th July 2010 at 23:02.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I think the one on the left is build by MCV, the front windshield looks quite similar to the current lot of MCV coaches run by Dubai RTA.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
I think the one on the left is build by MCV, the front windshield looks quite similar to the current lot of MCV coaches run by Dubai RTA.
pramod, you are right about that. Both the coaches are built by Manufacturing Commercial Vehicles(abbreviated as MCV), a company headquartered in egypt.
The coaches have been designed in the UK.

Here are some pics of the coaches:
First picture shows, MCV C 120LE is carrying the MCV Evolution bodywork on a MB chassis.This can be equated with the volvo B7R LE.

The bus on the left is called a MCV C 120. I donno what this body work is called. This bus has a slightly higher GC, probably like a JNNURM AL +1 entry (semi low floor) operated by KeSRTC in cochin.

Third pic is of a MCV Evolution body work on MAN Chassis.

Fourth pic is again a MCV Evolution body work on Alexander Dennis Chassis operated by stagecoach.

OT: Quite a few Alexander Dennis buses can be seen in Hongkong Public transport sector and in UK. Their models are Known as Enviro 200,300,400,500.

In the pic posted by binai, the bus on the left seems to look like the second photo that i have posted and the one on the right like the first photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz to foray into the "Fully Built" City Bus segment-merc-c120-le.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz to foray into the "Fully Built" City Bus segment-c120.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz to foray into the "Fully Built" City Bus segment-ebe2006_mcv_002.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz to foray into the "Fully Built" City Bus segment-ebe2006_mcv_010.jpg  

Last edited by conjon : 8th July 2010 at 11:01.
Old 13th July 2010, 22:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

One low floor and one Ultra low floor MB buses are given for trials as told earlier to PMT. They shall undergo tests and simultaneously products will undergo changes depending upon the feed back from the cummuters/customers.
Old 13th July 2010, 22:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel Merc is trying out two different products, and might finalise the best one for the country. But seriously, the bus that is apparently to be released in India (the one with which Mr Wilbur is posing) looks too bad.

Look carefully: There are some differences around the LED boards. One bus has a single piece windshield while the other is a two piece one. This is certainly two different models.
If I could hazard a guess, one's a intercity coach and the other is a citibus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks