Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 21:43   #16
BHPian

Re: The Poor Man's Stubby (Roof Antenna)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post

On closeup shots, it shows an open hole at the top. Looks like an opening to connect a water hose! A kid hanging around me said that it's a tiny laser anti-aircraft gun(?!) to shoot low flying objects!!
Lol.. My secret is revealed. You will have to be eliminated now.. On a serious note, while there is a hole on top, water cannot seep in as its closed on the inside with a small piece of rubber and tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Good and Handy tip Tassem.
I always doubt if the antenna can be flicked by anyone when the car is parked in lonely areas. One or two times, I removed and kept inside the car.

Do I need to use only the rubber stubby from a laptop adapter or anything similar available. Sorry I dont work in Dell or IBM .
Absolutely anything will do as long as it fits tightly over the threaded base. You can salvage the stubby from an old toaster, iron box etc.. As long as its not too big and wobbly, it should do just fine.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 02:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
On closeup shots, it shows an open hole at the top.
Nothing that a dab of MSeal and black waterproof duco-paint wont cure.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 11:29   #18

This is a cute DIY. Just a curious question/suggestion. Is it possible to use the antena of a Wireless broadband modem? i am sure we will be able to get one from some sources (BSNL exchange where i have seen multiple modems in written off condition) Won't that be helping in better reception?
GetzLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 12:42   #19
BHPian

Amazing DIY!!

Whats ticking over in the gray matter now? Do keep us posted
DieselDestiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 21:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetzLover View Post
Won't that be helping in better reception?
Well, I am not sure if it will help in reception. Multiple reasons. First is to find a suitable way to mount it. Router antennas won't have a threaded base that will fit the screw base on the car. Secondly, most antennas are not interchangeable and more often than not, using the wrong type of antenna will make things worse. Even the length makes a huge difference.

I had to learn this the hard war from R/C where I modified the antenna on my truck. Losing range when you're at 80kmph and accelerating is not a good thing to happen. Lucky for me the failsafe cut in at the last minute causing the truck to come to safe halt.

See this: Category:Radio frequency antenna types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this: Whip antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this: Antenna (radio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But FM is broadcasted well these days at least in the major cities and you can get clear signals without the antenna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Amazing DIY!!

Whats ticking over in the gray matter now? Do keep us posted
Lol.. Damping. I'm talking major league damping here. I want the car to feel like a solid lump once done! I've learnt how to remove most of the inside panels and the seats/carpeting. Now looking at cost effective methods to get it done..
Old 15th December 2012, 14:30   #21
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Sorry for renewing an old thread. Recently I was out of town for a month and my car was parked at our apartment and on returning the first thing I noticed was that my Verna's (old) roof antenna was stolen by someone.

I checked with Trident hyundai on Bannerghatta road and was told that it costs 800bucks plus tax for a replacement (that too it is out of stock and I need to place an order with them). At that price I think its not worth it.

I am trying to find someplace from where I can source it (ok with even a local make).
Any pointers in Blore? Maybe someplace in JC road or if I could get one of these from some totaled vehicle maybe at some junk yard??

Thanks,
Varun
Old 15th December 2012, 20:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yup, JC Road would be the place to search. You might get a drop-in replacement somewhere. Alternative is to use an internal antenna - mounts behind the RVM. In either case, it wouldn't cost more than 300-400.
Old 16th December 2012, 22:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

I ahve recently the FM reception has gone just plain bad. I have trouble even finding all the stations. I checked if the antenna was properly connected, it is. Is it time to change the antenna? Mine is an Indigo with the built in behind the rvm type.
Old 16th December 2012, 23:28   #24
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte for the reply, any specific shop on JC Road that you can recommend?
Old 17th December 2012, 10:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
... I have trouble even finding all the stations. ...
No, you need not change the antenna. Try tuning to individual stations by entering frequency manually. Should work even if the HU doesn't find it in auto-tuning, which registers only the ones with the highest signal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarunM View Post
... any specific shop on JC Road that you can recommend?
No, I don't remember any specific shop. Best is to go there early enough (say 1000-1030, easy to get parking), take the first left after Minerva Circle, park and start asking around in the parallel lanes there. Sometimes the small cubbyhole shops are better than the bigger ones.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, I don't remember any specific shop. Best is to go there early enough (say 1000-1030, easy to get parking), take the first left after Minerva Circle, park and start asking around in the parallel lanes there. Sometimes the small cubbyhole shops are better than the bigger ones.
Thanks DerAlte, will do that this weekend.
Old 20th December 2012, 21:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, you need not change the antenna. Try tuning to individual stations by entering frequency manually. Should work even if the HU doesn't find it in auto-tuning, which registers only the ones with the highest signal level.
It doesn't lock even in manual mode and on the stations it does there is lot of interference. Also the voice fades as it used to in older radios.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
... the voice fades as it used to in older radios.
Are you trying to catch AM or FM stations? That is AM behaviour, won't happen on FM (amplitude independent of signal strength once discriminator locks; no sound only noise if it doesn't). If it happens on FM - time to change HU.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Its happening on FM. AM still works good. Cant change HU bro, no money plus the damn thing plays everything well except the FM stations. But thank you for not letting me go wild on the antenna thing.
Old 9th February 2013, 18:15   #30
BHPian

This is a real neat piece of work. Good Job buddy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks