Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2013, 00:34   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!

Hey Guys nice DIY for cheaper Refill!
But now please also suggest good cheap Refill brands and their cost.
I have started using Air freshners for my car but they create a pleasant ambience only when sprayed not if you enter your car in the morning.
Old 27th January 2013, 13:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Why diluent? Is the smell too strong otherwise? Or to cut costs?
To reduce the rate of evaporation. Aftershave will evaporate too soon. Which will be both costly as well as too overpowering.
Old 27th January 2013, 13:46   #33
BHPian

Mates I keep Camphor in my car since last 7 years. I wrap it in a white cotton cloth and keep it on the blower. It really makes one feel fresh and even in the rainy season it cuts all the damp smell. Whoever travel in my car has appreciated the smell. I purchase the full bag of camphor around 400 gms. at 150 INR. (Better Quality from wholesale market) and It almost last for around 9-10 months. Though I don't keep the bag in my car, just few of them wrapped in cotton cloth.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-20130127_123958.jpg  

DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-20130127_124004.jpg  

Achilless is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2013, 18:01   #34
BHPian

Nice DIY thread Rajeev, Thanks.
Just yesterday I was out for shopping and looking for Ambipur, Godrej and other car perfumes. Luckily did not buy one and here I am reading this thread today.

Had earlier tried the Ambi Pur room freshner in my EON, used it everytime I had guests in my car, but the problem is it does not last, one feels the fragrance only for some time and then the same disappears.

Will surely try the Preminum cologne suggested here, liked the fragrented soap, coffee beans and camphor suggestions as well. thanks guys
Old 28th January 2013, 18:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
You are correct in saying that the cologne will evaporate quicker than the Ambipur liquid. I counter this by adding acetone to the perfume, acetone is a clear, odorless liquid & would not alter the perfume's character at all.
I picked up a small bottle of Armani & added acetone to it & that small bottle of perfume has lasted me for 4 months & running now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenez View Post
Hi,
My two cents...
Please have a look at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for Acetone. It is not something that I personally would like to have in my car. Most of us use our air cons on the recycle mode, so it would make matters worse.
The idea of replacing the expensive car perfume refills with other perfumes is great, saves a lot of money, but I think you should stay away from mixing it with acetone. Have you experienced any kind of irritation with eyes, nose etc while using it? I did a quick googling on the side-effects of acetone and it says its an 'eye irritant', can cause drowsiness (but only when inhaled in high concentration).

After this thread, I for sure am going to replace the refills, but without acetone. Thanks for the idea mb_jg
Old 28th January 2013, 18:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
The idea of replacing the expensive car perfume refills with other perfumes is great, saves a lot of money, but I think you should stay away from mixing it with acetone. Have you experienced any kind of irritation with eyes, nose etc while using it? I did a quick googling on the side-effects of acetone and it says its an 'eye irritant', can cause drowsiness (but only when inhaled in high concentration).

After this thread, I for sure am going to replace the refills, but without acetone. Thanks for the idea mb_jg
Like you said, "it's harmful only when inhaled in high concentration". We are exposed to probably thousands of chemicals on a daily basis, ofcourse which is unintentionally.
I use probably 4 drops to the bottle. Haven't experienced any irritation or side effects, yet.
But point taken well, although I don't use it on a regular basis. I found wet vacuuming the carpets, headliners & seats more effective in retaining the fresh smell.
Old 28th January 2013, 19:16   #37
BHPian

Great options guys!!!

I've been using Ambipur for sometime now. This time I tried out the Glade airfreshner. What I've been doing is not sliding the slider to ON position. I found that even if I retain the slider at OFF position, there's still sufficient aroma inside the vehicle. I think the company quotes abt 45 days, mine has been in use for abt 30 days and the bottle is not even half empty (or its still half full - depending on whether you are an optimist or a pessimist ). As and when needed, I slide the slider for sometime and then close it back again.
Didn't know abt this earlier, else could have tried with Ambipur as well.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
Mates I keep Camphor in my car since last 7 years. I wrap it in a white cotton cloth and keep it on the blower. It really makes one feel fresh and even in the rainy season it cuts all the damp smell. Whoever travel in my car has appreciated the smell. I purchase the full bag of camphor around 400 gms. at 150 INR. (Better Quality from wholesale market) and It almost last for around 9-10 months. Though I don't keep the bag in my car, just few of them wrapped in cotton cloth.

Isn't there a fire hazard using camphor. Can it be technically ascertained whether or not camphor would catch fire due to higher ambient temperature in case car is parked in direct sunlight

Last edited by shk_24 : 30th January 2013 at 10:29. Reason: typing error
Old 30th January 2013, 10:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk_24 View Post

Isn't there a fire hazard using camphor. Can it be technically ascertained whether or not camphor would catch fire due to higher ambient temperature in case car is parked in direct sunlight
I would be wary of keeping camphor in the car as I am sensitive to the fragrance, but the flash point of camphor is about 64deg C so I do not think it will catch fire in a parked sun. Mythbusters on Discovery did experiment and the max interior temperature recorded was 54 deg C, if I remember correctly.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 10:45   #40
BHPian

Give a try to essential oils, available at good shops, like shoppers stop.

Buy a decorative hanging from shoppers stop itself, put 4-7 drops of essential oil onto/into the hanging, and leave it inside the car.

The fragrance relieves one of stress, after a day's hard work, and is neither heavy on the pocket, nor on the interiors of the car, and is completely natural.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk_24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I would be wary of keeping camphor in the car as I am sensitive to the fragrance, but the flash point of camphor is about 64deg C so I do not think it will catch fire in a parked sun. Mythbusters on Discovery did experiment and the max interior temperature recorded was 54 deg C, if I remember correctly.

Cheers!
Guys as i said i am using this since last seven years, and where i parked the car in my office premises where my dashboard is in the contact of direct sunlight. Even when i visited many hot places in the month of April and May like Gujrat/MP/Delhi. I never faced any issues.

If you dont want to keep it on the Dashboard you can place that just down side. Where direct sun will not come in contact with Camphor.
Old 30th January 2013, 13:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Give a try to essential oils, available at good shops, like shoppers stop.

Buy a decorative hanging from shoppers stop itself, put 4-7 drops of essential oil onto/into the hanging, and leave it inside the car.

The fragrance relieves one of stress, after a day's hard work, and is neither heavy on the pocket, nor on the interiors of the car, and is completely natural.
Good suggestion Deepfusion: But do you know that according to Ayurveda, essential oils have different effect on different individuals. I am sure lavender/jasmine will have calming effect on the occupants but can lead to sleepy signal in some brains, similarly, cardamom/coffee can keep some active but might trigger migraine in others.

So, my advice is just that a person should be careful and see what suits them most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
Guys as i said i am using this since last seven years ...
Buddy, I have cleared your stance itself that the camphor will not flash in car. I cant use it as I am sensitive towards the fragrance.
Old 30th January 2013, 16:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ever heard about "Attar"? Attar is a kind of a concentrated perfume oil which was originally used by our Mughal kings (AFAIK) for the same reason we use our colognes today! This variant of concentrated perfume oil has a sweet smell and lasts for longer - even more when dabbed on the skin. Evidently, it makes a great car perfume too!

Try refilling your car perfume with attar and you'll smell of kings!
Old 30th January 2013, 18:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Try refilling your car perfume with attar and you'll smell of kings!
I tried that too earlier, but wasn't good perhaps the attar which I bought from a wayside shop wouldn't have been good enough. I will look for good attar as you have suggested.
Old 31st January 2013, 06:18   #45
BHPian

Good idea. I always used Ambipur and am going to try this DIY today.
The camphor idea sounds good too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks