Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 16:25   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!

Great thread u have here . Refilled my Ambi pur with Fogg and it smell great. Will just wait and watch how long the refill lasts.

P.S.: I added around 6-7 drops of acetone.

Last edited by speedmunster : 5th February 2013 at 16:27.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 11:36   #47
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I had around 5 bottles of which only one was used for car. Dont think I have those bottles with me. Will update you if I get to find the brand.
Mind you, these potpourri oils are really strong. So use little and keep the Ambipur blower at min.

PS - I got these oils from @home. Check the store.
naveen.raju,

I picked up three things from @Home for the experimentation:
1. Home Fragrance Oil (Sensual Vanilla) by Illuminations (15 ml)
2. Vaporizer Oil (Lavender) by IRIS (10ml)
3. Potpourri Spray (Apple Cinnamon) by IRIS (100ml)

The sales guy was a bit confusing and when I asked for Potpourri oils, he mentioned that we use vaporizer oils (mixed with water) in a potpourri "oil-burner device" and then place a burning candle under it.

Now I am confused:
1. Is a potpourri oil the same as a vaporizer oil and a home fragrance oil? (It seems like that way).
2. Do the potpourri oils need heat to release the fragrance? If yes, would they be less effective as car-perfume refills?
3. Is the Potpourri spray a pre-diluted version of the potpourri oil?

Can you help?
Old 16th February 2013, 11:46   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
naveen.raju,

Now I am confused:
1. Is a potpourri oil the same as a vaporizer oil and a home fragrance oil? (It seems like that way).
2. Do the potpourri oils need heat to release the fragrance? If yes, would they be less effective as car-perfume refills?
3. Is the Potpourri spray a pre-diluted version of the potpourri oil?

Can you help?
Am not an expert in this but will try and help you out. I bought the potpourri with which I got these fragrances. It came in small bottles of 15ml (i guess).

1) Potpourri oil and fragrance oil should be the same. No idea on vaporizer oil.
2) Not sure on this. I had this potpourri in my living room but the fragrance was just noticeable (I used one whole bottle here) but when I used in the car, the fragrance was way too much (I think I used half of it).
3) Yes, should be. A lighter version of it. Fragrance oils are really strong. The viscosity is like normal cooking oil (atleast for the product I had).

I would recommend you to use little, keep the ambipur air flow to minimum and test it out since the smell is really strong. My wife couldnt stand the smell since I used too much of oil.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 16:02   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The sales guy was a bit confusing and when I asked for Potpourri oils, he mentioned that we use vaporizer oils (mixed with water) in a potpourri "oil-burner device" and then place a burning candle under it.
This is what I use. It's called "Iris Home Fragrance". Surprisingly, it's a vaporizer oil. Check here:
http://www.ripplefragrances.com/dome...apourizer.html
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 07:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Ambipur has stopped marketing their car perfumes in this type of refillable bottles. It could be either, their regular product upgrade or perhaps have noticed this thread and came out with a different type of unit cum perfume combo pack to prevent refill and reuse.Price has gone up to Rs 199.
Need to find out a method for a DIY refilling.
This pack comes with an instruction sheet which mentions about precautions to prevent damages to surfaces, gadgets etc.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-perfume-1.jpg  

DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-perfume-2.jpg  

DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-perfume-3.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th May 2013 at 07:39.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 10:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I used to buy Ambipur and similar refills and other gel type perfumes like My Shaldon periodically to maintain a fragrant car interior. But the high cost and the reduced effect of Ambipur refills made me think of some cheaper alternatives and I had come out with a DIY refilling. This method has come out well and I am sharing it here for a try by T Bhpians.

I purchased a small bottle of Pemium Eau De Cologne costing less than Rs 65.
This can then be filled into empty Ambipur bottle and Voila you have a better than original refill.
I used it and found to be very effective and the cost of one refill is less than Rs 5.

Hi Rajeev
This is simply superb Thanks for uploading the pictures for a few days now I have been thinking of this alternative for my car for a few days I am glad you tried it and shared it with us. Thanks for posting the same here.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th September 2013 at 04:38. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 11:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting DIY Rajeev!
At 100Rs for 5ml, the car-purfumes are possbily as expensive as pefumes/EDTs for humans.

One question: The Ambi Pur lasts for 30 days. How long does same quantity of Eau De Cologne last? My belief is that Cologne evaporates much faster. What was your experience?

I tried the same. However, it was a failure. It evaporates much quicker and the smell is much lower. :(
nettooran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 13:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

I'm using this as a refill for Godrej Aer and for some reasons it does not give out slightest hint of fragrance!!
Old 13th August 2013, 22:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

There is another refill option in industrial perfumes. Many industrial perfumes are sold in retail these days and is easy to fine one outlet and is easy on the pocket too.
100 ml is available for rs 100 to 120 depending on the fragrance.I tried lemon and jasmine both are excellent.
Try for yourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!-perfume.jpg  

Old 4th September 2013, 21:05   #55
SDP
Team-BHP Support

After months, finally got around to actually try this out.

Asked wifey to pick up a bottle of Acetone. She got me a small 22ml bottle costing some 10 odd rs. I already had 3 different varieties of vaporizer oils. Picked up the Sensual Vanilla from Illuminations. Added 0.5ml of Sensual Vanilla to around 5 ml of Acetone.

Result: Hardly any fragrance in the car. :(

I was expecting the acetone to be odourless, but the one that I have smells like thinner. Is this normal or I picked up something of wrong grade/quality?

Last edited by SDP : 4th September 2013 at 21:07.
Old 4th September 2013, 21:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I was expecting the acetone to be odourless, but the one that I have smells like thinner. Is this normal or I picked up something of wrong grade/quality?
Acetone have a strong smell. You could use any kind of alcohol. They may not be 100% odourless. But not as pungent as acetone. For industrial purpose they will deodorize the alcochol before using.
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 21:39   #57
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post

Acetone have a strong smell. You could use any kind of alcohol. They may not be 100% odourless. But not as pungent as acetone. For industrial purpose they will deodorize the alcochol before using.
Can you name may be a couple of types of alcohol so that I can look for something specific? I am assuming that it would be available with local hardware store.
Old 4th September 2013, 21:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Can you name may be a couple of types of alcohol so that I can look for something specific? I am assuming that it would be available with local hardware store.
Ethyl or methyl alcohol. If you know some chemists or lab people, it'll be easy to get hold of it. Don't know about its availability on hardware stores though, sorry.
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 21:49   #59
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After months, finally got around to actually try this out.

Asked wifey to pick up a bottle of Acetone. She got me a small 22ml bottle costing some 10 odd rs. I already had 3 different varieties of vaporizer oils. Picked up the Sensual Vanilla from Illuminations. Added 0.5ml of Sensual Vanilla to around 5 ml of Acetone.

Result: Hardly any fragrance in the car. :(

Failed experiment!
I had added acetone to dilute the oil and to elongate the evaporation. But the mixture (~5ml) did evaporate in about one and half day.

Going to try the Eau De Cologne next.
Old 6th September 2013, 22:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Result: Hardly any fragrance in the car.
Quote:
Going to try the Eau De Cologne next.
Try out what I mentioned in post No 54 above. That smells superb and lasts. The effect is evident every time you step into your ride.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th September 2013 at 22:15.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks