Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 14:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY - Cheaper Car Perfume Refill!

Nice DIY.

I personally don't like the overbearing smell of the car perfumes. What i do is take a bar of soap (one which is highly scented), make a few holes through the cover and put it under the seat. You get a very slight whiff of perfume which suits me just fine. Lasts for atleast 3 months after which i make more holes and it gives me three more months of use.

After that i cut it up and put it in a bottle of water till it dissolves completely and use that as an additive in my windshield washer. The perfume in the soap has evaporated but the soap's cleansing quality still remains. So no wastage at all.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 17th January 2013 at 14:10. Reason: corrected a typo
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 14:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Nice DIY.

I personally don't like the overbearing smell of the car perfumes. What i do is take a bar of soap (one which is highly scented), make a few holes through the cover and put it under the seat.
Does not the car smell, uhmm, like a soap or a bath? Which brand do you use for the specific purpose?
Old 17th January 2013, 14:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Does not the car smell, uhmm, like a soap or a bath? Which brand do you use for the specific purpose?
I've used Lux and Yardley.

Once someone suggested i also put moth balls to kill smells. But all it did was neutralise the soap effect.

Incase i need to get rid of any smell, i remove the soap and put an open cup of vinegar overnight. It will kill all smells. Then the soap goes back.

And nope, it doesn't smell like bath. Again that depends on which soap you select.

Slight OT: I guess if someone asks me what is a typical soap smell, the first smell i'd recollect would be Hamam.

PS: Apologies rajeev k for hijacking your thread.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

I find that a pack of odonil works effectively. Not too expensive. Should come in at around 50 bucks a month.

Yes, I know the associations with a toilet will be made but the scented ones are pretty good and it does help to remove the smell of cigarette smoke.

Like the DIY that has been done though. Cool and cheap.
Old 18th January 2013, 00:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I find that a pack of odonil works effectively. Not too expensive.
I did use an Odonil in my SS80, but the fragrance is not experienced but being a car not used regularly helps in keeping moths away. What I have seen is that there is no fungi anywhere inside that car. I guess what you just guessed.
Old 18th January 2013, 00:27   #21
BHPian

one caveat is liquid perfumes apart from being inflammable are corrosive.. if they spill on dashboard and are not wiped off/cleaned might create permanent marks/damage. be careful.
on the other hand you can pour these perfumes into dry tin-perfume boxes that contain sponge/wood kind of material which holds the perfume.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

For some reason i like my car to smell leather and new. Still the car smells new. Ambi pure is just too abrasive on plastic and certain materials. Have had and witnessed two incidents which ruined the car.

All said and done this is a very cheap method to keep the care good smelling and i love the aroma out of this brand. In fact we were big fans of this brands after shave lotion.

Easy way to refill in reality.

Last edited by VW2010 : 18th January 2013 at 01:16.
Old 18th January 2013, 07:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
My belief is that Cologne evaporates much faster. What was your experience?
Since it is contained within the tight cover with the low/high control provision evaporation is not that fast.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 10:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I find that a pack of odonil works effectively. Not too expensive. Should come in at around 50 bucks a month.

Yes, I know the associations with a toilet will be made but the scented ones are pretty good and it does help to remove the smell of cigarette smoke.

Like the DIY that has been done though. Cool and cheap.
Tried Odonil but did not find any difference, i.e. no nice smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I did use an Odonil in my SS80, but the fragrance is not experienced but being a car not used regularly helps in keeping moths away. What I have seen is that there is no fungi anywhere inside that car. I guess what you just guessed.
My ambpour was almost empty so got the Premium o de Cologne, BTW it smells good, and did the DIY as explained above, great results
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 11:06   #25
BHPian

I've heard that if you use leather seats, it is not recommended to use any kind of alcohol based perfumes. Instead, use jelly based car fresheners. I wasn't given any explanations. Maybe someone here might be able to give a scientific explanation.

I like the idea of using soap.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
You are correct in saying that the cologne will evaporate quicker than the Ambipur liquid. I counter this by adding acetone to the perfume, acetone is a clear, odorless liquid & would not alter the perfume's character at all.
I picked up a small bottle of Armani & added acetone to it & that small bottle of perfume has lasted me for 4 months & running now.
Hi,
My two cents...
Please have a look at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for Acetone. It is not something that I personally would like to have in my car. Most of us use our air cons on the recycle mode, so it would make matters worse.
I am not an authority on the harmful effects of Acetone, but I would suggest that you search for a less toxic alternative.
Ambipur and all the other air fresheners may be a bit on the expensive side, but switching to a perfume diluted with acetone, may not be the solution you are looking for!
Cenez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 23:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I used to buy Ambipur and similar refills and other gel type perfumes like My Shaldon periodically to maintain a fragrant car interior. But the high cost and the reduced effect of Ambipur refills made me think of some cheaper alternatives and I had come out with a DIY refilling. This method has come out well and I am sharing it here for a try by T Bhpians.

I purchased a small bottle of Pemium Eau De Cologne costing less than Rs 65.
This can then be filled into empty Ambipur bottle and Voila you have a better than original refill.
I used it and found to be very effective and the cost of one refill is less than Rs 5.

The Pictures below are almost self explanatory, though not a great thing. TIY.

Disclaimer: The brand names mentioned is only for representative purpose and absolutely no intention of promoting or tarnishing their image in whatsoever forms and is without any commercial interest.

Have been sticking to Ambipur, in spite of the new brands that have come in. Aer by Godrej also seems to be a good alternative.

I feel it is not overbearing as the others. And I'm sure the better brands test their brands before launching (consumer tests, allergy tests, safety, etc). As long as accidental spills on plastics and leather, contact with eyes, etc, are avoided.

Also didn't understand how effectiveness has been reduced? There is a switch on top to increase the flow of perfume, in case a stronger flow is required.
Maybe your nose has got used to the fragrance. I am sure you would have tried changing the fragrances, but cycling through the fragrances helps.

A word of caution: I know of any people who have got allergic reactions when they have used cheaper substitutes, the Thailand/Chinese ones, so I would urge people to be careful.

If at all you are looking for a cost effective way to keep your car/bathroom smelling fresh, try this.

Take a small pouch and fill it with roasted coffee beans and keep them in the car. Works like pot-pourri. And when the nose gets used to the smell, after a few days, just put the beans in the microwave for a minute or so, and voila! They are ready to be re-used. Fresh, roasted coffee smell wherever you want.

Coffee beans are Hygroscopic. That is, they absorb moisture. So it is effective especially in the monsoons, to keep the mildew, smells away.
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 15:37   #28
BHPian

Hi

I tried the same, with the minor variation that I pried open the plastic seal and not just the wick. Used aftershave as refill, and water as diluent. The solution turned milky, but is working fine. Next time I plan to use isopropyl alcohol as diluent, safer than most other solvents.
Old 26th January 2013, 18:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
...Used aftershave as refill, and water as diluent. The solution turned milky, but is working fine...
Why diluent? Is the smell too strong otherwise? Or to cut costs?
Old 26th January 2013, 22:34   #30
BHPian

Very good DIY... just one caution...

Some cheap perfumes can leave a permanent mark on dashboard plastic... I had the unfortunate experience with the cheap "car-perfume" the dealer gave as a freebie - a drop of it fell on the dashboard, and left a mark as if a drop of boiing oil had fallen on it - a deep scar kind of.

If you're using any decent branded perfume like Premium you should be fine though, and enjoy the savings!
pranav4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks