Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2013, 15:45   #1
BHPian

DIY : Etios Front Center Armrest

Finally the front centre arm rest has been fitted.

Time taken: 2 hours.
Tools needed: Spanners, Screw driver, Drill machine.
Bought the Universal Arm rest from ebay for around Rs.1100/-.
Extra screws, nut, bolts were sourced from my factory, actual costs will be approximately Rs. 20.

How to do it:
1. The handbrake cowl is held in position by two bolts. These need to be removed.
2. First I used the arm rest for a couple of days without fitting, just to make sure I get the right position for it.
3. Made the markings for the rear bolts to be fixed first.
4. Fitted the rear of the arm rest with bolts and spring washers and nuts on the inside.
5. Put the armrest attached to the cowl in position again to check the alignment.
6. Once you are sure it is perfect, make the markings for the front fitting.
7. Remove the cowl+ arm rest and fit the front with nuts and bolts with spring washers, to avoid the nuts coming loose because of the vibrations, however small they may be.
8. Put the attachment in place and fit the cowl front bolt.
9. Now you need to remove the top front screws, the ones that hold the side plates attached to the arm rest and turn the arm rest backwards.
10. This will give you room to fit the second bolt in the cowl.
11. Now put the arm rest back in position and fit the front top screws.
12. Enjoy a comfortable ride with the new arm rest!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Etios Front Center Armrest-img2013022100285.jpg  

DIY : Etios Front Center Armrest-img2013022100290.jpg  

DIY : Etios Front Center Armrest-img2013022100291.jpg  

DIY : Etios Front Center Armrest-img2013022100292.jpg  

Last edited by raghuvir : 21st February 2013 at 18:24. Reason: Costs were not shown earlier.
raghuvir is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:35   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY : Etios Front Center Armrest

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Mods & Accessories Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 22nd February 2013, 17:16   #3
BHPian

Good DIY
More intermediate pictures will help for bhpians to take forward.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for sharing this information Raghuvir.
I and many of my friends are apprehensive about buying the universal arm rest since we are unsure if it would fit between the two seats of our car, would it be possible to use the hand brake and so on.
These kind of threads really help the respective car owners to go ahead and buy one.
Thanks again for sharing this with all of us.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 09:03   #5
BHPian

Raghu,

You made my day, this was the exact post I was searching for in TBHP. The arm rest from Ebay and your DIY text have satisfied my queries. Thanks a ton!!!

BTW... is this arm rest that you sourced from Ebay a height adjustable one?
Old 28th February 2013, 11:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanan View Post
Raghu,

You made my day, this was the exact post I was searching for in TBHP. The arm rest from Ebay and your DIY text have satisfied my queries. Thanks a ton!!!

BTW... is this arm rest that you sourced from Ebay a height adjustable one?
Yes Mohanan it is height adjustable. You can adjust the height by removing the top two screws on either side, you can see these in my first pic. Also, it has a knob below the arm rest that can be turned to adjust the angle of the arm rest. I have realized that my fitment is the optimum height required, wherein you can change gears without lifting your hand a lot.

Chow,
Raghuvir
raghuvir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post

Time taken: 2 hours.
Tools needed: Spanners, Screw driver, Drill machine.
Extra screws, nut, bolts were sourced from my factory, actual costs will be approximately Rs. 20...
Excellent thread. I am infact wanting to get this done on my Swift and is confused a lot. I had seen the products in eBay and some of the arm rests do NOT fit the last gen Swift as per the sellers. Also I noticed that there are two sizes of arm rests and I want ONLY the wider one, which I think you managed to lay your hands on.

Could you tell me what's the measurements of the arm rest you installed? If possible, please check the listings and you may find it. I am delaying my purchase since I am NOT able to make out whether the arm rests which I check on eBay are the wider ones or not.
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Big thanks Raghuvir for posting this. I am also looking for the same in our Etios. Can you provide the link to the item on ebay? Also, does it have a cup holder at the back as some armrests sport? Also try to post a few more photos from all sides and angles including the fitment at the base.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:52   #9
BHPian

This looks really great . Did you cover the armrest with some leather etc.. it matches your car interiors well. Any issues reaching the hand brake after this install?
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:34   #10
BHPian

Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Excellent thread. I am infact wanting to get this done on my Swift and is confused a lot. I had seen the products in eBay and some of the arm rests do NOT fit the last gen Swift as per the sellers. Also I noticed that there are two sizes of arm rests and I want ONLY the wider one, which I think you managed to lay your hands on.

Could you tell me what's the measurements of the arm rest you installed? If possible, please check the listings and you may find it. I am delaying my purchase since I am NOT able to make out whether the arm rests which I check on eBay are the wider ones or not.
swiftnfurious, got an arm rest for my brother's old swift yesterday (yes, the one that fits in the cup holder) and guess what, it fits fine, however, the arm rest is so way back, that you could probably only touch your elbow on the cushioning. And also, the cushioned part does not slide forward. So, dont buy the old swift arm rest from ebay. However, you can use the one I have fitted. My guess is it would be perfect for the old swift too. Will check the measurements and post tomorrow.

Cheers,
raghuvir

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Big thanks Raghuvir for posting this. I am also looking for the same in our Etios. Can you provide the link to the item on ebay? Also, does it have a cup holder at the back as some armrests sport? Also try to post a few more photos from all sides and angles including the fitment at the base.
parsh, I purchased it a couple of months ago, so cant find the link. It's the Coido Arm rest that sells on ebay. It does not have the cup holder at the back. More photos...tomorrow for sure.

Cheers,
raghuvir

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd March 2013 at 20:51. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 08:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
This looks really great . Did you cover the armrest with some leather etc.. it matches your car interiors well. Any issues reaching the hand brake after this install?
Coincidentally, and much to my amazement, the leather covering the arm rest is the exact same as my seat covers. And yes, it a bit odd reaching for the hand brake, but I can sacrifice it for the driving comfort. After looking at the handbrake assembly (when I removed the cowl) it does seem possible that it can be modded...will probably wait for the warranty period to get over before I do that.

Cheers,
Raghuvir
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 12:41   #12
BHPian

Hey I found a similar armrest for 999 on Vicky.in here's the link. Thinking of getting it for my Swift. http://www.vicky.in/shopping/swift-c...-car-accessory
Old 7th March 2013, 12:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

The item seems to be selling at one of sellers for Rs 999/- on ebay. http://www.ebay.in/itm/160985138541?...84.m1423.l2649

Gray is the one I am looking for our Etios.

parsh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks